INTRODUCTION - “WHY PHOENIX?”
Character Concept by Johnathan Fletcher - Dirty Bomb Game Artist
Just a heads up, Starting June 2nd 2018 the forums underwent an amazing overhaul that trashed this guide, I hope to have the entirety of it fixed and re-released by June 4th. Thanks for your patience!
Alright mercs, let’s get straight to business:
Phoenix is the UNDISPUTED best medic when played correctly in Dirty Bomb.
Comparisons to other Medics
But what makes him the best?
- His healing is INSTANT once released - no waiting for the heal to finish like with Aura or Sawbonez.
- Phoenix heals in a RADIUS around him - no need to aim a pack at someone.
- His heal applies to ALL teammates in healing reach - You don’t have to throw multiple medpacks down, you just have to worry about positioning to more effectively heal your teammates.
- His heal isn’t weakened in strength to himself! - He’s the only medic that gets the same amount of HP from his skill as other players (unless using potent packs)
- He doesn’t sacrifice maneuverability or effectiveness while healing - (especially when fleeing) he gets melee movement speed and can charge his ability while jumping and running (maneuvering). It’s like having double time but with your healing ability!
- He is a mobile decision making medic - At your discretion you choose when and how much health goes to whom.
- His “Healing Pulse” has an INSIGNIFICANT Cooldown when used correctly - more on this later, but you control just how long you CANT heal for based on how long you took to heal in the first place.
- He is Versatile as either a TOPPER or as a COMBAT EXTENDER. (he can choose to heal teammates out of combat to the brim, or he can simply give a short burst of healing to all of his teammates in the thick of the fight.)
- He has access to a wide range of powerful loadouts and weapon choices.
I’ll figure out formatting for this youtube video link eventually, JUST YOU WAIT!
The rest of this guide will be going into the specifics of how to use him correctly, each of his different abilities, and some general tips that many players don’t think of or realize until many hours played with him or other medics.
MY PERSONAL GUARANTEE
MANY THANKS TO:
Change Log... because why not?
- After several days of combining game knowledge and formatting, the guide was released!
- Added colors to help emphasize major points. The guide was longer than a giraffe’s neck that was stretched by an inverted machine press, and some parts were unfocused or not explained correctly; many points were improved for brevity and clarity. Day after revisions are a necessity when you end up finishing and submitting stuff at 4AM it seems.
- Tips from Equanimity and Firefly have been added. Added accreditation and thanks portion to the introduction.
- Clarified a tidal wave of information. Added extra advice from several players, including quotes from Szkalot, mainly additions from the forum monkeys.
- Table of Contents button was added to all posts. This broke later. Nothing stays fixed.
- Finished testing on Restoration exp. This elusive bonus is obtainable on all medics, was eventually removed, and used to mean “revived to full” bonus. I’ll be doing more work soon to see if it’s back (2018 June edit)
- Greatly enhanced, clarified, and repurposed “General Situations” section (it is now the general improvements portion it was meant to be rather than a rambling mess of awesomeness).
- Removed some dirty code and fixed several spelling, grammar, and punctuation mistakes.
- Change-Log updated to look better and revised for ease of continuous updates. Gotta have dat Change-Log Boooiiiiii.
- Changed location and formatting of certain parts of code and the guide itself for ease of access to both the editor and readers.
No real updates to the guide were necessary as numbers hadn’t changed yet. However I attempted to fix as many links ahead of time since many would be broken etc. as Splash Damage bought out their game rights from Nexon and transferred forum URLs. This required some guesswork that didn’t work. They also locked all the old content from the previous forums during this transition with a 2 week edit limit. I was locked out of fixing my guide or updating it EVER AGAIN! (Kidding, but it was for over a year that I couldn’t do anything, almost 2.)
THE UPDATE THAT BROUGHT FORTH A READABLE STEAM GUIDE!
- Fully moved the old guide from the official DB forums as it was not able to be updated, and went through two full revisions and changes.
- A large amount of unneccessary information was dropped and repeats were minimized unless the repeat had a purpose in multiple sections.
- Several forced changes to structure since “spoiler” command also works differently and there’s no minimize function in SCUD (steam guide software…) were required. Doing this while maintaining the core value and integrity of what was originally in those sections on the forum has undergone several stages but it should be at an acceptable and still pertinent point overall.
- Streamlined look and polished several times between interfering styles and the somewhat limited guide structure Steam presents.
- Several pictures are yet to be added, a chart is still needed for cooldowns to better illustrate the text in those sections, and the video portion of the guide will be created and input soon.TM
- Splash Damage has announced several incoming balance passes. Though the initial gun pass only hit the crotzni with an extra .1 second reload time, it’s very likely chunks of this guide may be blown out of the water if Phoenix is touched in the upcoming months. I will keep this updated.
Granted Permissions to clean up, fix, edit this guide into a well polished turd. As well as pretty much full trust of world domination inside the forums. But, one step at a time my little turd post.
- Ported Steam copy back over to FORUMS, as well as began manually sifting through all of the broken links, new formatting requirements, and format changes to the forums to make the guide most readable. Why do people have so many conflicting formatting things?
- Moved Changelog and thanks portion back to Introduction. Added in DETAILS (basically super old spoiler function) EVERYWHERE.
- Still polishing the turd into a beautiful wax ball.
Restore exp may or may not exist anymore. There are no gun stats, this is not a bug. Weapon switch-offs from healing and turrets MAY or MAY NOT be a thing anymore either. Huh. Chart and video are STILL missing. Tons of broken links and crappy words exist after forum UI overhaul and lack of being able to edit… until NOW MUAHAAHAAHAHA… Ha… ha
Give me a bit of time to fix this yo. - June 2nd 2018.
Feel free to post here, or hit Vanilla~Firaga up on Steam with any information or fails you see with the guide. They will be fixed in a fashionable and timely manner.