Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

(Shanks) #221

[QUOTE=king_troll;333462]the gameplay is already in quakewars, you can tweaks the physics alittle in the code just by having new define values for ait friction etc at the top of the player_physics.cpp

and in reality no body, would play another wolf mod using idtech3, the original wolf has been about for way too long, and the folks who still play it would change for the world, there is no reason to play a fake wolf 2 mod which is the same game with a few new maps

a wolf mod using idtech3 would also get no new players, console gamers and casual pc players that appeared because they got the net, want graphics first[/QUOTE]

(king_troll) #222

you can get that look in quakewars, you just have to desaturize the ambient file, quakewars maps have`nt been made to look photorealistic, but it is possible if map lighting has been made to look realistic

download skilth mini mod and play sewer or isalnd map http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24436&page=2

just put the pk4 in any folder for it to work

(Shanks) #223

That’s not the point. The point is that you pointed out tech3’s limitations being the outdated renderer when it clearly can be updated to even surpass your godly Quake Wars in graphics.

(king_troll) #224

i doubt it, and not in a timescale any modellers and mappers would care about, especially when mappers would have to UV all terrain map changes instead of just making a megatexture in 30mins

(Pegazus) #225

Fighting over Xreal engine and Quake Wars is not needed here. I respect the work that has been done for Xreal and if some of the Xreal supporters dislike our decision to work on Quake Wars instead of Xreal, I don’t see any near future successfulness for either project.

At the moment this project is still under discussion. Small work to import S&M Mapping old work from W:ET to QW is in progress however as we speak. So far it has been a joy to work with the SDK that Quake Wars has to offer and the progress is fast. If the map importing turns out to be a success and we have a playable map then we will turn our heads towards changing the models and features that are not suitable.

(king_troll) #226

you can use q3map to decompile a .bsp file back to a .map, then just open it in quakewars editworld and rescale it

the switch to decompile a map is at the bottom of http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2

same with all them q3 maps on lvl for q4 conversion

(Pegazus) #227

We do not have to decompile as it is our earlier work from S&M in W:ET. So we have the source, however when importing the map certain things (models, textures, shaders) get messed up and need to be fixed.

(king_troll) #228

open the map in crimson editor or another good text editor, and strip the brushes bare of shaders, you will have to retexture the whole map any way and brushes do not use the same keys to apply materials

when you rescale the map, models and other entities will not be moved to the new scale size position, you will have to add lights and models, so you should just delete all entities too that are not world brushes

(its al bout security) #229

[QUOTE=Nail;304824]I think working a little magic on the graphics and basic smart kind of climbing (no wall hop stuff) and getting it on consoles with dedicated servers would rock, custom maps could be available, no hackers (well maybe)
Imagine 64 slot xbox servers, it would kill the kids, implement a modified xp save (ya gotta now)
make it $20 download and publish it themselves. Sounds like fun to me[/QUOTE]

you damn genius you

(Gung-ho) #230

It’s probably mentioned earlier - but a port to PS3/X360 would have to fundamentally change the game. If you want that same W:ET magic the PC is the only place you are going to find it. Unless there is a shift in focus from consoles to PC, that magic will never be lived again.

The golden age of FPS games has passed and as more time passes by, the lesser the resemblance will be. Happy to be proven wrong though.

(Wepohn) #231

[QUOTE=Gung-ho;334029]It’s probably mentioned earlier - but a port to PS3/X360 would have to fundamentally change the game. If you want that same W:ET magic the PC is the only place you are going to find it. Unless there is a shift in focus from consoles to PC, that magic will never be lived again.

The golden age of FPS games has passed and as more time passes by, the lesser the resemblance will be. Happy to be proven wrong though.[/QUOTE]

I don’t agree, RtCW was fantastic on the original Xbox and was hardly different from the PC version at all.

(Bloodbite) #232

I think the idea people seem to be forgetting is that this idea of a reinvigorated W:ET is to renew the challenge we all enjoyed back when the game had a strong and challenging public community… before the XPsave’s came along, and back when we were all milking every possible strategic option out of the original maps. I don’t mean to be insulting, but many of the community built maps are far from living up to the quality of those original maps. So no matter how competitive people are in that game these days, it still ain’t what it used to be… and it’s a dead community in terms of being able to attract decent new players.

As for all this graphics engine stuff… people that are concerned about graphics over gameplay aren’t going to play this game no matter what engine it uses. Remember how everyone serious about their gameplay turned coronas, blood splatter, etc off in their options? It would be nice to have a super pretty version, but by the same token look at Brink… that’s still using idTech 4, it just happens to have come a very long way in modifications. And then you can look at the actual art design behind something like World of Warcraft… that thing remains visually tolerable despite being very, VERY old because the of the fact that those chunky polygons are designed well to go with their bright, cartoony textures.

Here are the graphic issues that should be taken seriously for this game;

• increased texture resolutions
  • increase in maximum polys allowed per map design
  • increase in character model poly limits

We don’t need bloom, lens flares, DX11 shaders or any of that. Afterall, we’re not making this for mass acceptance.

In the right hands the code can be tweaked (or at least I hope it can) to handle ‘more’ with the increase in computing power we all have these days.

(Nail) #233

my post that was quoted above was from back when the discussion was more about SD, it has moved to community made game to community made QW mod or some other less than stellar idea, imo

I still think if the community wants to remake W:ET, it should use NO assets from the original

(Pegazus) #234

[QUOTE=Nail;334306]
I still think if the community wants to remake W:ET, it should use NO assets from the original[/QUOTE]

Agreed with you there.

(Shownie) #235

I agree with you agree with Nail. Actually I am doing this for my mod. Can’t say how it will look like, still doing alot of concepts :slight_smile:

But that is one major thing a sequel must have, updated assets! But when we are talking about using QUAKE Wars SDK, that means we have to own a copy of the game right?

Or what is really the plans :confused: Are you just saying that you are going to use this SDK as base?

(Pegazus) #236

Yes. The way it is currently going would mean that you would have to own a copy of Quake Wars. Unless things change around the game industry. (Activison, ID, ZeniMax)

(Nail) #237

should be a GPL engine, let’s keep the W:ET spirit alive

(king_troll) #238

[QUOTE=Bloodbite;334302]

As for all this graphics engine stuff… people that are concerned about graphics over gameplay aren’t going to play this game no matter what engine it uses. [/QUOTE]

using quakewars isnt just about graphics, timescale of making a mod will be cut down by a few years, the graphics will still look good in 5 years time, which is when a mod will be finished if making all new assets, with your dev team always changing every few months, mappers and modellers are all willing until 6months in, then they all have a kid and get married, instead of just saying i cant be assed with it no more

if you want new players to a game, or existing wolf players, you need a new renderer, and a revamp of what already exists

(Bloodbite) #239

[QUOTE=king_troll;334560]using quakewars isnt just about graphics, timescale of making a mod will be cut down by a few years, the graphics will still look good in 5 years time, which is when a mod will be finished if making all new assets, with your dev team always changing every few months, mappers and modellers are all willing until 6months in, then they all have a kid and get married, instead of just saying i cant be assed with it no more

if you want new players to a game, or existing wolf players, you need a new renderer, and a revamp of what already exists[/QUOTE]

I disagree with the renderer

I was referring more to the Unity and UDK suggestions. In the end I think the engine should be determined by those who end up doing the coding. The obvious advantages of W:ET being free counter the superior physics/etc. options that ETQW offers.

As for needing a new renderer, I think that’s merely a bonus. Free and competitive is going to be alot more appealing than pretty and competitive. Plus in the right hands, as mentioned above with needing all new assets created, low poly models can still look really good.

(king_troll) #240

its only 40 year olds who grew up with the game that still play wolf/quake3 etc, besides a handful of youth that play quakelive and leagues. and those still playing the same game from 10years ago do not have a life and dont know about technology and staying with the times

theres no point spending £3000 on a pc to play a game a p3 run run at 999fps,

the greater the detail and graphics, the more realism you can have, the more realism a game has the more tactical it can be

and most FPS games for the past few years have failed because of graphics trying to make up for gameplay, a mod can change things, and quakewars is the SDK to use