Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

(Pegazus) #181

Brief
Should there be a new Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory or not. We agreed that there should be so we began giving ideas.

(Shownie) #182

If we are going to make, I personal suggest that “Wolfenstein” should no longer be part of this games name. I can’t relate to the real Wolfenstein scene. Maybe I am alone with that, but I think that Enemy Territory 2 looks good enough :slight_smile:

(Nail) #183

yep, W:ET 2, and I think it should be done w/Unity engine not idTech

(king_troll) #184

[QUOTE=light_sh4v0r;330588]Sorry, but I do this all the time. Nearly every track I make uses nothing but VSTi’s and hardware synths/drumkits all controlled by MIDI.

You keep telling yourself tempo is pitch. Don’t think there’s much point in me saying that it isn’t true again?[/QUOTE]

yup, but you cant use and abuse and make a complex track, cubase is aimed at studio musicians using real instruments to make a song

fruity loops is just an idea aimed more at making techno and “dance”, which most producers do not need samples, so fruity has never had any real sample tools added to it, where the only limit is your cpu before sound starts to crackle

if fruity ever gets customizable event graph colors and parametric automation event graphs for VSTi`s, you would no doubt see it mentioned more in magazines and by “pro” djs

(Pegazus) #185

The name will turn out to be a problem because Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory are registered trademarks.

(kamikazee) #186

[QUOTE=king_troll;330752]yup, but you cant use and abuse and make a complex track, cubase is aimed at studio musicians using real instruments to make a song

fruity loops is just an idea aimed more at making techno and “dance”, which most producers do not need samples, so fruity has never had any real sample tools added to it, where the only limit is your cpu before sound starts to crackle

if fruity ever gets customizable event graph colors and parametric automation event graphs for VSTi`s, you would no doubt see it mentioned more in magazines and by “pro” djs[/QUOTE]If you got spare cash, try Propellerhead Reason. It has both a sequencer and patterns, allows one to chain up any instruments and effects to make a new instrument and allows automation.
The only thing it doesn’t do is VST, but for that you hook it up to Cubase or FL should you really need to (most of the time, the built-in stuff can do more than common VSTs though).

If we want to discuss more, we might need a new thread.

[QUOTE=Pegazus;330803]The name will turn out to be a problem because Wolfenstein and Enemy Territory are registered trademarks.[/QUOTE]What about… Wurzburg: Enemy Terrain ?

(Pegazus) #187

[QUOTE=kamikazee;330814]
What about… Wurzburg: Enemy Terrain ?[/QUOTE]

Hahaha! Nice one. :slight_smile: Well the name part has to wait anyways. There is nothing done for the game itself so far. Familiarising myself with the SDK and all the new possabilites.

(Shownie) #188

So if this turns into a real project it can’t be named W: ET 2?

Lol, what are we doing? I think I second kamikazee’s name suggestion :stuck_out_tongue:

(etwolfmod) #189

Yes, that’s right. There’s plenty free textures available, those could be used as starting point. I’m really interested in getting this community ET off the ground.

(etwolfmod) #190

Wouldnt that engine make the game’s movement and general gameplay very different? And it’s closed source too, unlike id tech.

(Nail) #191

it would make movement different yes, but I thought the general idea was to remake the game with a more modern graphics, style and physics, Unity also allows for cross platform development, but it was just a suggestion, nobody here tales me serious

(king_troll) #192

quakewars sdk is cross platform for pc/linux/mac, you dont have to mess around with defines and macros, you just code the code on any of the platforms, then use the project file on for each OS to build the driver in virtual box or machine

nobody would care about a wolf mod that uses some ancient engine and has lego graphics, any new wolf mod would be best off using quakewars SDK for graphics and the code that already exists

(Nail) #193

Time to pull your head out of your ass King Troll, Unity is a far newer engine than D3, supports superior graphics and physics and when I say cross platform I mean ALL of them, PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Android, iPhone and iPad and browser
As well, Assets loaded into Unity are automatically imported, and are re-imported if the asset is updated. Unity supports integration with 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, Modo, ZBrush, Cinema 4D, and Cheetah3D.
Graphics engine uses Direct3D (Windows), OpenGL (Mac, Windows), OpenGL ES (iPhone OS), and proprietary APIs (Wii).
Support for bump mapping, reflection mapping, parallax mapping, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, dynamic shadows using shadow maps, render-to-texture and full-screen post processing effects.

stick to FL Studio, it seems you can handle that, but not much in the pro world

(etwolfmod) #194

The engine is not that much of a benchmark or indication on the graphics detail but the content makers’ skills. Making really good models and such on id tech 4 would require really good modelers, texturers and such and it would require all their skills. That is without megatexture work. It’d be good to try this engine too, but it’s fitting to consider the additional work.

(king_troll) #195

quakewars engine isnt doom3, it has hardly anything thing in common with previous idtech4 game engines except for a few cvars and the idtech4 name

alot of people like id games because of the physics and player movement feel, while the rest of the physics in most games that use idtech are rubbish

i will stick to making http://www.moddb.com/mods/q43a/downloads/q43a-win32linux-build-19-6

(AlphaRed12) #196

[QUOTE=Nail;331042]Time to pull your head out of your ass King Troll, Unity is a far newer engine than D3, supports superior graphics and physics and when I say cross platform I mean ALL of them, PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, Android, iPhone and iPad and browser
As well, Assets loaded into Unity are automatically imported, and are re-imported if the asset is updated. Unity supports integration with 3ds Max, Maya, Blender, Modo, ZBrush, Cinema 4D, and Cheetah3D.
Graphics engine uses Direct3D (Windows), OpenGL (Mac, Windows), OpenGL ES (iPhone OS), and proprietary APIs (Wii).
Support for bump mapping, reflection mapping, parallax mapping, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion, dynamic shadows using shadow maps, render-to-texture and full-screen post processing effects.

stick to FL Studio, it seems you can handle that, but not much in the pro world[/QUOTE]
Afaik, Unity is much slower than most engines and isn’t the greatest because of this. Also, some of those platforms require licenses that cost well into the thousands of dollars for. Not that you would probably use some of those systems/platforms.

(Nail) #197

using the QW SDK just means a ET mod for QW, I don’t see it being a good idea, UDK would be preferable if Unity can’t handle it, I like Unity for the ability to do an ET Live type of game, but I don’t build games so my likes are irrelevant to this

(Indloon) #198

It should be done with Cryengine 3:)

(Shanks) #199

I agree about using UDK. But also we could use this engine: http://www.sylphis3d.com/

(king_troll) #200

using the quakewars SDK, you will only need to code new weapons in the drivers source, everything else you need for objectives already exists in code and you just have to change the scripts and def files for maps and objective entities, and the same for pickups and 90% of the weapon functionality, along with the whole class system

idtech runs on virtual/child classes, where most of the game is actually made in def and script files, if get some good mappers and modellers you could finish a wolf mod for quakewars in 8 months

coding new weapons exist of a few virtual voids that override the functions in the main weapon.cpp