Punk Buster Legacy Files - Including Quake Wars + question

(pangumas) #41

The solution which was sent in by Dr.Funkenstein works for Mac platform users.
I forgot to write about him before:)

(DrFunkenstein) #42

I have a question related to this problem and I hope someone knows the answer.

There’s a PB cvar called pb_sv_updategrace and this determines how much time someone gets to update his outdated version before he gets kicked from the server. The default value is 300 seconds and the maximum value is 4800 seconds. We changed it to 1800 seconds so people have half an hour to ask questions etc. before they get kicked, but players still get kicked for this reason after 5 minutes and I don’t understand why.

I added this line to pbsvuser.cfg:

pb_sv_updategrace 1800

And if I check the value in the console I can see that it’s set to 1800 on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dr. Funkenstein

(Donnovan) #43

You set pb_sv_updategrace on the server?

(DrFunkenstein) #44

Yep.

Dr. Funkenstein

(brbrbr) #45

so its matter of time to disable PB finally on ranked servers and/or move to unranked.
and/or starting collect money for re-launching evenbalance support for ETQW, which is would b notable amount :[

(DrFunkenstein) #46

Thanks for your uninformed contribution to the usefulness of Punkbuster, brbrbr.

You can argue about the effectiveness of PB as a way to stop cheaters (I personally consider it to be a “first line of defence” not a perfect tool to stop them), people do get kicked because of the wrong reasons and the fact that the update isn’t supported any more makes things even worse, but I’d like to hear from you how you would plan on stopping someone like this without using Punkbuster.

You can’t do that from within the game, you can ban a nick, but you can’t ban a “person”. All they need to do is create a new nick and they can rejoin at any time.

This is a more recent example.

Adhesive figured he’d grace the ESM server with his presence a couple of weeks ago and went on a tk rampage. The people that had admin rights on the server banned him numerous times but he kept coming back using different nicks and they simply gave up at some point because the game itself doesn’t give you the tools to deal with someone like that.

There’s no way to stop an idiot without using Punkbuster. If you have a better solution, I’m all ears.

Dr. Funkenstein

(XwolfhoundX) #47

[QUOTE=Donnovan;382934]Here all the legacy Punk Buster files so you can last update your discontinued Punk Buster game:
http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/legacy-punkbuster-files-cat7.html

Here the Quake Wars legacy PB file:
Windows http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-windows-file65.html
Linux http://www.pbbans.com/forums/files/quake-wars-linux-file66.html

A friend of mine was just having problem to play on the servers, and i believe this will fix the problem.

If yes, in what folder those files need to be put?

Thanks in advance! :D[/QUOTE]

I cant seem to download the files from that site because it does not exist. :frowning:

(blackcrow721) #48

[QUOTE=Donnovan;387426]You can type “fs_savepath” on the game console. It will give you a Hard Disk local with the end:
“(…)/Id Software/Enemy Territory - Quake Wars”

Remove this end and put “PunkBuster/ETQW/pb” so it will turn into:
“(…)/PunkBuster/ETQW/pb”

This is the place to put the Legacy PunkBuster files.

If you continue to have problems, tell us.[/QUOTE]

Ok so I feel stupid for asking, but how the hell do i type in the game console?
I tried to save those pb files in my prog files for ETQW with that end but it didnt work, help please im tearing my hair out here…

(Donnovan) #49

You need to press “Control” + “Alt” + " ’ "

(DrFunkenstein) #50

You open the console in the way Donovan described, and I would suggest doing this first:

• Open the console;
  • Type pb_security 0;
  • Press ENTER;
  • Close the console;
  • Connect to a game server.

This way you will download the updates you need directly from the game server and it saves you the hassle of finding where you need to save the files etc. Shouldn’t take more then a minute.

Hope this helps!

And Donovan, please check your pms! I need your help with something.

Dr. Funkenstein

(blackcrow721) #51

[QUOTE=DrFunkenstein;396316]You open the console in the way Donovan described, and I would suggest doing this first:

• Open the console;
  • Type pb_security 0;
  • Press ENTER;
  • Close the console;
  • Connect to a game server.

This way you will download the updates you need directly from the game server and it saves you the hassle of finding where you need to save the files etc. Shouldn’t take more then a minute.

Hope this helps!

And Donovan, please check your pms! I need your help with something.

Dr. Funkenstein[/QUOTE]

thank you so much that worked!!!
and thank you donnovan for showing me the keystrokes.
greatly appreciated!!!

(taw_m0nsta) #52

Works only for mac users on non public servers. Whats given so far is not 10.7 proof.

(DrFunkenstein) #53

?

Dr. Funkenstein

(taw_m0nsta) #54

If i connect to a public server, it restarts my game (like its a mod) and then failes to open the game. Using the pb_security 0 before connecting only works on non public servers (mod servers).

Tried to upgrade from this http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php (version 1.3?)
Says it should work for ALL MAC users, but the little .app only works on PowerPC’s macs (not Intel, 10.5+).

(DrFunkenstein) #55

What you are saying is definitely not correct.

There are plenty of people who managed to solve the update problem by simply changing pb_security to zero and reconnecting to our server. We don’t run any mods, it’s a plain vanilla ranked server and changing the cvar works.

Dr. Funkenstein

(taw_m0nsta) #56

Ill will give it another try tonight on some other servers.

(taw_m0nsta) #57

Tried 3 random servers with real players on it.

Could grab these lines from the console.app:

4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: WARNING: FindDLL in pure mode: game pak not found ( 0xa02f1c18 )
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: ********************
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: FATAL ERROR: couldn’t find game dynamic library
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: ********************
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: 8/8/8/8 RGBA bits, 24 depth bits, 8 stencil bits
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: no multisampling
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: vsync: off
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: initializating SDL Joysticks
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: initialized 0 controller(s)
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: --------------- BSE Shutdown ----------------
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: ---------------------------------------------
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: Shutting down sound hardware
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: Shutting down SDL subsystem
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
4/2/12 9:24:16.868 PM [0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw: Sys_Error: couldn’t find game dynamic library
4/2/12 9:24:16.952 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501: ([0x0-0x14c2bc17].com.aspyr.etqw[89481]) Exited with code: 1

Ill will reinstall the game, patch, and give it a second try…

(taw_m0nsta) #58

[QUOTE=taw_m0nsta;396953]Ill will reinstall the game, patch, and give it a second try…[/QUOTE]That did the trick, probably mashed something up when trying it manually.

(Susefreak) #59

[QUOTE=taw_m0nsta;396820]If i connect to a public server, it restarts my game (like its a mod) and then failes to open the game. Using the pb_security 0 before connecting only works on non public servers (mod servers).

Tried to upgrade from this http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php (version 1.3?)
Says it should work for ALL MAC users, but the little .app only works on PowerPC’s macs (not Intel, 10.5+).[/QUOTE]
ETQW and therefore the pb files for ETQW are Intel only

(taw_m0nsta) #60

So you are saying Evenbalance should no longer provide this manual update app?
(If i am correct you need OSX Tiger (PPC) to compile mods for ETQW for OSX)