Glory of the Weak - Work in Progress

(light_sh4v0r) #41

That last pic you put in the ETQW screenshots topic is really cool Don, I absolutely love that icarus docking station :smiley:

(Donnovan) #42

More shot:

(Donnovan) #43

Another one…
That’s all folks!

(Apples) #44

Ambience and lights are awesome!

Now time to have a good gameplay and to balance the map :wink:

(Donnovan) #45

Yes, will start to mess with code and other formalities to make a playable release. Here another shot, from the Office that will hold a objective:

(Donnovan) #46

This one deserve tits!

(light_sh4v0r) #47

Donnovan, you are a hero.
You should know that already btw.

(Donnovan) #48

Here a small video of Strogg first objective run.

(Donnovan) #49

New shots.

GDF Sallom!

GDF Solar Pannels!

GDF Resort!

(hozz) #50

Looking really good.

Any eta for gameplay test version?:slight_smile:

(Donnovan) #51

I will release an Alpha 1 version before next Nirvana.

It will have just first objective.

All thoses shots are from first objective.

(m0nsta) #52
  • starts hitting f5 in game *

ill be there!

(Donnovan) #53

Thanks for the test guys.

I will watch the demo to be sure i read all coments in game, since i normaly lost many of then when.

Also, sometimes was a friend new to ETQW playing, so i can have lost the coments when she was playing.

(Donnovan) #54

Here the error i got each time i was disconnected. May be its the same error mOnsta got!

Next step will be mess with it.

(Scrupus) #55

Thanks for letting us test it Don, it was fun! :slight_smile:

About that locstring error, I guess the problem is triggered by the missing string for “maps/glory/scspawnway”:

"spawn_priority_strogg"	"4"
	"screen_name"	"maps/glory/scspawnway"
	"name"	"s_cspawn_way"
	"classname"	"info_capturable_spawn_strogg"

Why that problem can disconnect players is a bit strange (and also why it didn’t affect me or timestart but all others…), but if you add it to the glory.locstring|lang files, the problem will probably go away.

btw, while your at it there is a missing “the” in this string as well: “#str_consite_030” “Infect Terminal”

oh just noticed they use the str_consite prefix, so make sure they don’t overlap.

(Scrupus) #56

About the map itself, here’s some suggestions:

1. Add turbo strips to icarius tunnel, so they fly higher up. I think it could be fun if strogg can try “air attacks” first, and then go for the forward spawn if the gdf air defense is too tough.

2. Expand the solar panels so they go all around the crater? Would look cool. Or if possible - also cover the top but breakable so that the stroggies can fly trough it. or hehe, perhaps a little platform under it so they can plant a charge :oppressor:. Ok probably stretching it too far now :stuck_out_tongue:

3. Something is wrong with the airstrikes - I guess the vampire flies either under or over the map where we can’t see it. It shows up on the radar though, and crate drops works.

4. More huskies! Perhaps a few more hogs and badgers as well.

5. The icarius tunnel might have to be expanded a bit, to avoid strogg collisions? On the other hand would be fun to watch that happen. I would like to get out in the right direction too, not opposite of the objective/tunnel to forward.

6. There is a pillar right in front of the “husky road” to second level in the terminal house - not really in the way but would look nicer if it was moved a bit (or better move the husky container slightly).

7. The custom voices are freaking awesomious great - both the messages, and the voices! :smiley:

8. Add or replace the cabinets with some servers, like you see in the datacenter map. It’s supposed to be a mainframe terminal, not a library :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #57

Each spawn only has one main exit. Bad idea.

It would be all too easy for an organised GDF team to spawn camp the icarus chute and just kill the icaruses with ease. Perhaps adding the base spawn protection for them would help somewhat but once they are in use they are easy targets again as they are in an enclosed space.

The ramp down from the GDF spawn is just sniper heaven, no cover and one exit. More vehicles and more exits are needed.

We will see on Sunday I guess how well the objective plays out, hard to tell when just testing the map 3v3.

(Donnovan) #58

Thanks for ideas guys, i liked all of then.

And i can do something like in your idea 2, Scrupus, liked it, but it will be something to create a “WOW!” effect on players, can’t be a long glass destroy process. At least, it will protect the strogg on the first push.

I will keep that in mind Chris. May be a major change on some part of the map would be needed, at least for strogg, since i can’t see how to make another path for then, i will need to add something on the way so i can distingue paths.

Scrupus, don’t you think its a good idea to remove the map from the server since i fix, at least, the locstring disconnection problem? I will do that on friday.

(m0nsta) #59

Very cool base for strogg, I like the dark part in back a lot. Altought it could get dominated by a rocket solider pretty easily onces gdf took back stroggs forward spawn.

Here are some ideas for next spannings places.
I liked what i saw in the video, where gdf spans directly in parachute mode from a high location. But, what if gdf spawns from a very high platform/box (with bumblebee and anansie) and the gdf players are forced to jump off that platform. In midair players need to split up, to do various missions on ground. Like deploying radar on a pretty safe location, taking a ground forward spawn, setup turrets and other defenses etc

For strogg,having an Quake Arena-a-like jumppad parkour on or underground, that requires to turn left or right in mid air to reach a next jump pad, and if successful it gives you an advantage to be on an important location much quicker then the main/exposed route.

Ps. I like the new voices, but what if thoses female robot lines are really been said by female? There is a female at TAW and haves the most amazing voice I ever heard on TeamSpeak, i’m sure it will even fit better with some effects/filters over it (different effects for gdf and strogg), I might could ask here gently if she likes to do some recordings?

In overall good work so far Donnovan, looking forward to see more.

(Scrupus) #60

[QUOTE=Donnovan;353073]

Scrupus, don’t you think its a good idea to remove the map from the server since i fix, at least, the locstring disconnection problem? I will do that on friday.[/QUOTE]

I don’t think it will be a big prob, only a few will try it before you get it fixed and the problem is not that critical really. But if you got the loc files fixed first I could put them into the campaign file instead as a “hotfix”.

About the solarpanels/glass, I was thinking a bit more - it could be a greenhouse rather than solar panels, and then you could put some nice trees and flowers and grass down in the crater as well, simulating a nice little “oasis” in the wastelands. That could fit your original story pretty well - the greenhouse is to give the strogg prisoners fresh air, and the tunnel to the crater is actually a sewer tunnel so gdf can “fertilize” the vegatation there hehe. But then, one day, the strogg secretly construct those icariuses out of scrap metal and empty beer cans thrown down by GDF, so they can escape out of that tunnel and strike back etc etc. hehe just some thoughts, but could look very nice :slight_smile:

And yeah, didn’t thnink too much about the gameplay, but Chris is probably right about those one exit spawns - they have to be expanded with more exits.

For the GDF spawn you can maybe just add some more ramps out of the spawn (a small one for husky and inf in the middle and wider one for badgers on the side perhaps). And for the strogg spawn, perhaps just add some base defence turrets protecting the tunnel exit so the GDF can’t camp there?