Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory 2 - any chances?

(Kroktar) #21

Brink its not perfect but its fine…

But ET will be always superior…

I payed almost 50 bucks on Brink, i would pay 100 for ET2 :smiley:

Even ET1 with the same **** but improved graphics would be succesful

(SpawnTDK) #22

[QUOTE=Kroktar;309107]Brink its not perfect but its fine…

But ET:QW will be always superior…[/QUOTE]

fixed :oppressor:
:smiley:

(Kendle) #23

There have already been 3 x ET2’s (ET:QW, Wolfenstein 2009, Brink) as in 3 subsequent games (2 made by the same company who made ET), all using classes and objectives and similar gameplay mechanics.

The trouble is none of these ET2’s have been what “insert random ET player here” wanted so were never acknlowedged as ET2’s.

If SD or anyone made an ET2, how similar to ET1 would it need to be to be considered “ET2” as opposed to “something else 1” ? Set in WW2 ? Using Thompsons, MP40s rather than modern or made up weapons ?

No developer is going to release the same game twice, so ET2 would need to be different. The question is how different could it be and yet still be ET ?

(JereManU) #24

I tell you why CS:S is selling so good. Because basically it is CS, but just with better graphics and engine improvements. Personally, I don’t like CS, it’s just an example.

What ET2 should have? I think WWII, old weapons, better graphics, much improvements provided by better engine and some other things, but I am not to think about everything of this. ET has great gameplay, that I haven’t seen in ANY of new games (I’ve played in much new titles, like COD, BF, MOH, Valve games and some other ones).

For now, games set in WWII are not really created. We have much, much, really much games with so modern times, locations, weapons etc. And I think ET would be the only game that could beat this with oldschool style (I mean as times).

ET:QW? It’s closer to Quake. Wolfenstein 2009? It’s closer to RTCW. Brink? Can’t say, never played it, but it seems to be something quite new.

It’s just my opinion and my pointview how I would like to see it.

(sphinx175) #25

Raven had nothing to do with the multiplayer of the most recent iteration of Wolfenstein. They did the single player which was quite fun but the multiplayer was done by a group called Endrant Studios.

(Shownie) #26

A new version of ET could be build upon the id Tech 5 engine. From what I’ve heard it is going to be GPL (:

True about a new ET must have some difference from old one. I would say, with a new engine ofc graphics improvements. A new modern UI, better models. Both weapons, Characters and map models.

OFC keep the way ET is now, but basicly make it maybe 10 times better. There are tons of ideas around this forum about how to improve ET. ET-XreaL project and XreaL-ET blah, whats the difference? ^^

But if you look around there are much to find here, which could result in a so called ET 2 :slight_smile:

Thats what I think.

(Nail) #27

ZeniMax now owns idtech5, and there will be no licensing

(FrOat) #28

Wolfenstein enemy territory 2 is my dream, seriously WET is so…A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, the game require a big teamplay in clan war, the game is very skilled, and publics server were very cool, many map, many mods
Really best fps i played so far, in ffa as in clan war

But, i’m afraid if they make a WET2, i’m pretty sure that the game will be very very casual (Slow, can’t shoot while sprinting, a lot of recoil, lot of spray, no SDK, etc…) :erk:

perfect english , no ? :smiley:

(king_troll) #29

brink and quakewars are both modern day wolf:ETs, just in another enviroment, the maps and objectives are the same

every game of splash is the same idea, brink is their own IP and they can complete it as they want it done

(Bloodbite) #30

[QUOTE=Kendle;315833]…
No developer is going to release the same game twice…[/QUOTE]

Ahem… CoD4… *cough

(king_troll) #31

doom, PGA golf, fifa soccor, need for speed, the whole of EA catalog, wipeout, warhammer, and could probaly add 50 more

cant really class wipeout, a console isnt a console without it

(farnsworth) #32

Wolf:ET was by far the most fun I had in online gaming ever. All the other generic mp-shooters are like cod nowadays, or worse, they are cod. Wolf:ET was special, the teamplay, the fun on public-servers, no stupid prestige, no 2 million different weapons, just plain, simple, fun.
Easy to learn, but hard to master.

Only game I had nearly as much fun with recently was left4dead (the first one that is), because it was something fresh, its focus was on teamplay and it had the same formula, which makes for a great game, imho, and much replayability:
Easy to learn, but hard to master.

I too would love a second coming of ET, just a new shiny engine, no changes on the basic gameplay pls, maybe a little bit s.m.a.r.t. Though I really like Brink I fear it will not be as much fun than ET was unless they fix the bugs, and quick, and give out the SDK to let the community do their thing with it, because that’s what made ET great.

(Bloodbite) #33

the persistent XP character thing in Brink is what makes it ‘not as rewarding’ as Wolf ET. I remember the good ole days when the challenge was to level up as many skills during a 3 or 6 map campaign rotation, then start over.

4 star double or triple class + weapons/battle awareness upgrades during a campaign was a mark of true skill and team support. I have to say that’s the one thing I’m genuinely disappointed about in Brink. I was hoping there would be a secondary ‘per campaign’ XP system that unlocked class perks like Wolf ET did that was independent of the persistent perk system. it’s not a mood killer, but it doesn’t replace those memories of epic battles when Wolf ET was free from XPsave servers and the swarm of aimbotters out there.

The campaign rotation of maps also kind of forced people to commit to playing the whole set of maps rather than just taking off when a map they weren’t good at popped up (like some people seem to be whining about with Brink).

All of that is worth remaking, or if any folk with skills are keen, modding into Brink when an SDK comes out.

(Cambodunum) #34

From a business’s point of view … Wolfenstein isnt profitable anymore.
Nowadays games are not supposed to be “long-living”. Its all about “fast” profit.

So if you ask, after they released Wolfestein the trademark/franchise “Wolfenstein” is dead capital. Same goes for PC-Gamers and the leftovers/communities of quake/rtcw/wet.

Nowadays WWII games arent demanded by the new generation. The only chance Wolfenstein will be or lets say could be a success, is to port it to a modern version … and im not talking bout non-human-characters. Call of Duty - World at war was a great conversion of Modern Warfare. But as you can see … kids are not very interested in.

Just my 2 cents …
greetz Cambo

(king_troll) #35

so if brink gets fixed and made playable, all it needs is wolfs award system

(JereManU) #36

I see some nice pointviews. I agree absolutely that ET has unique gameplay for teamplay and it’s quite easy to learn to play in the beginning, but to become a very good player it takes very much time.

Well, you are right, but I see more and more adults in gaming. And anyway COD:WW has been sold in around 11 million copies if I remember well. It’s not that bad score.

I would like to see any post from SD team member in this topic.

(yoomazir) #37

ET:QW2, make it happen and I’ll buy 2 copies.

(king_troll) #38

splash will probaly never be a third party to another game that is the same team based idea in a different enviroment

brink is 99% quakewars without vehicles, brink 2 will just be tweaked and made better with 3 years todo all the minor touches and tweak the SMART physics

brink is like a total conversion quakewars mod

(freefall) #39

RTCW was the precursor. It proved, and continues to prove that xp in fps games is beyond retarded.

Here’s how things have evolved:
RTCW - awesome from the beta onwards
FAST

ET - a bit ****, movement was never as tight as rtcw, guns/hitboxes? utter failure had to be semi fixed by 3rd party. Introduced xp which was a massive joke, as was nade sticks and mortars, really let the game down. Massively succesful because it’s free and playable on old pcs.
Little Slower

ET-QW - pretty freaking amazing but indoor gun fights sucked. Also support was ridiculously bad. Really a good game if those things had been resolved.
About the same speed as ET.

Wolfenstein - destroyed by Activision as ID quit them. A totally deranged set of mechanics that once again
showed console lead fps games are ****.
Ridiculously slow.

Brink - fails by not having strafe jumping in my opinion. SMART thing is ok. Hitboxes seem really odd for headshots. But the thin body + medic is basically heading down the same street as RTCW and that makes it a lot of fun. Maps look and play pretty well, they all seem like playing L4D2 though. There’s no doubt that strafe jumping in Brink would take it to the level it should be.
FAST once you get to the level…

The inclusion of XP and levels and stuff ruined FPS’s.
Removing of strafe jumping in exchange for er…nothing special has ruined FPS’s. We have had creeping around corners and so on for well over 10 years and frankly it was tired and boring in 2000. It’s just a lot worse now in 2011.

It’s always the same, people take something amazing and remove the amazing bit and try and do something else instead which sucks. Just keep the amazing and improve everything else, how hard can it be? There has never been a perfect FPS based upon smgs because of this. RTCW was close, instead of evolving that it’s basically had genetic failures for offspring.

And SD are largely to blame.

(brbrbr) #40

im personally more interested in QW 2 or Q5.

p.s.
and/or something between. yea, like “Castle of Wolfenstain 3: Return of time/space Aliens from planet Hell” :stuck_out_tongue: