What SD game would you want to see next?

(Humate) #221

Well if a serious story line is to be avoided why not come up with something daft like Z, red vs blue robots in unending war!!

The main thing that matters is where the game sits on the realism vs arcade scale, in relation to the game’s story or period.

(tokamak) #222

Evolve Wars. Basically Quake Wars but using the characters and monsters from Evolve for even deeper asymmetry.

(Gismo1977) #223

Well, since tokamak already revived this never-to-die-thread, let me vote for ET:QW 2.
ET:QW is in my all-time-favorite game list (close to Tribes 2) and I would throw all my savings at SD for any chance to see a worthy successor. I even oversaw the Brink-incident and blindly founded DB, just to see something new from SD :smiley:

(Teuthis) #224

Looking at the Forum contributions of Each Game section Here, i guess it’s obvious that WolfET is clearly the Running Hit Here. I know the Game is 11 years old and that this fact of Course contributes to the many threats in this section as compared to Other, much younger, Games. However, i think when the Other Games Discussed Here are 11 years old, they Would Long have disappeared from Discussion Here.

The WolfET Community is Not Dying easy because of many beautiful Things coming with this game. People Love the Concept plus the fact that the Game is highly customizable with mapping, modding, etc. SD and Activision builded Here a Community That can only be recruited to follow New roads if you give them something similar and which derserves being called the next WolfET ( because QW clearly failed). Look at Legacy for example. Who Things Folks will do something similar on their Own with the Other Games Here when they are 11 years old?

And as a side Note: the Reason Why WolfET is so successful is Independent of the fact that it’s a free game. If the Game is a Hit the fact that it’s Not free can’t stop it from becoming a Hit.

Just my 50 Cents…

(Floris) #225

[QUOTE=Teuthis;519959]Looking at the Forum contributions of Each Game section Here, i guess it’s obvious that WolfET is clearly the Running Hit Here. I know the Game is 11 years old and that this fact of Course contributes to the many threats in this section as compared to Other, much younger, Games. However, i think when the Other Games Discussed Here are 11 years old, they Would Long have disappeared from Discussion Here.

The WolfET Community is Not Dying easy because of many beautiful Things coming with this game. People Love the Concept plus the fact that the Game is highly customizable with mapping, modding, etc. SD and Activision builded Here a Community That can only be recruited to follow New roads if you give them something similar and which derserves being called the next WolfET ( because QW clearly failed). Look at Legacy for example. Who Things Folks will do something similar on their Own with the Other Games Here when they are 11 years old?

And as a side Note: the Reason Why WolfET is so successful is Independent of the fact that it’s a free game. If the Game is a Hit the fact that it’s Not free can’t stop it from becoming a Hit.

Just my 50 Cents…[/QUOTE]

Plenty of people had fun with ET:QW, so maybe it has failed to live up to your expectations but it certainly did not fail to live up to mine. A remake of W:ET would be nice though. A fun fact is that the creators of Wolfenstein: The New Order stated that they want explore the options to create a W:ET like sequel to Wolfenstein. More trivia (but speculation), in a talk made by Paul Wedgwood he mentions that after developing ET:QW some people from SD left and “stole their next contract”. I’m pretty sure he is talking about Endrant Studios (which included some SD vets like Wils) developing the Wolfenstein MP, which meant we could have had a W:ET successor years ago. Instead we got a lackluster MP mode in Wolfenstein :frowning:

(Teuthis) #226

Agree that QW was Fun for a while. But judging from the facts, WolfET is still Moving forward while QW isn’t. Let’s assume QW is 11 years old, you think it’s comparable to WolfET success-wise? I think we both know the answer. Doesn’t mean QW wasn’t good for a while…

(gangstarN) #227

Etqw 2

et 2

(Rex) #228

lol, what exactly do you mean by ‘moving forward’ ? I really hope you didn’t mean activity…

QW is over 7 years old now. No of course it’s not comparable, because W:ET was free to play.

(prophett) #229

[QUOTE=Rex;520233]
QW is over 7 years old now. No of course it’s not comparable, because W:ET was free to play.[/QUOTE]

ET was also better quality with much more support :]

(twt_thunder) #230

still has :smiley:

(edxot) #231

w:et has more votes. but dont take them seriously. dont get me wrong, i loved the game, but all people i know, that played the game, did it because it was free. all those who would buy games, stayed in counter-strike.

nowadays if you would try to sell a game like w:et it would be a complete failure. not even those who play w:et would change to it imo.

however there are some things that worked very well in w:et, and should be considered as valid options to improve et:qw.

• the guy doing the killing would get more xp than the guy getting the objective. but we all know this leads to people spawnkilling right from start instead of trying to get objective done. maybe a mix of w:et with et:qw would be the better aproach: xp for damage (like in et:qw) and also a bit of xp for killing (like in w:et).
  • dont know about you, but i prefer the environment of ww2 instead of the quake thing.
  • vehicles should be less important. i have seen many games where whole team payed the price for having a noob (or retard) using heavy vehicles the wrong way.

related to et:qw: people kept complaining about prediction. and i had some complains too. but let’s acept the fact that trying to play w:et with more than 100 ping would be a complete failure. on the other hand, playing et:qw with 100 ping would be very acceptable.
but i dont think the prediction thing was working properly. was it really tested ?

(Teuthis) #232

[QUOTE=Rex;520233]lol, what exactly do you mean by ‘moving forward’ ? I really hope you didn’t mean activity…

QW is over 7 years old now. No of course it’s not comparable, because W:ET was free to play.[/QUOTE]

Maps, Mods, active Clans, ET-Legacy or Even the attempt to make a Wolf-ET Mod on the QW Engine. All this Shows That ET is still Moving, despite Not in the glory it was 10 years ago. I know many People Playing ET and all of them invested Money to get QW, so Why do they still Play ET but Not QW? Can’t be the Money because they have both Games…

Not sure how active the QW Community is but when I Look for Server I Mainly See Bots.
Also we can’t deny that so far 20% more people voted for Wolf-ET so either we need to follow edxot’s advise and just don’t take the majority of people serious or we have to come to the conclusion that most people want an ET remake. Not sure why this would fail or why folks playing ET should not play this? Anyhow, i guess we should trust in SD that they will figure it out what is most liked and what not. Either way, ET or QW I’ll give it a try

(edxot) #233

forgot to mention that the xp for killing could be variable and not a fixed value.
in w:et, killing someone would result in more xp depending in the weapon:
2 xp - rifle grenade
4 xp - grenade, mine
5 xp - headshot from main gun, sniper, pistol
3 xp - everything else

maybe the same could be done in et:qw. that extra xp for killing someone could be variable instead of a fixed value.

(Rex) #234

Yeah thousand active clans and a healthy competition scene you still got there in ET!

You got it right, 'attempt’. Was a fail attempt to convert ET players to QW and it stayed as an attempt since today.

[QUOTE=Teuthis;520284]All this Shows That ET is still Moving, despite Not in the glory it was 10 years ago. I know many People Playing ET and all of them invested Money to get QW, so Why do they still Play ET but Not QW? Can’t be the Money because they have both Games…

Not sure how active the QW Community is but when I Look for Server I Mainly See Bots.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t want to start the ETvsQW discussion again, because that would lead to an endless one. I wanted to say that your game is dead as mine.

But as you are one of the only guys who considers ET as active you are indeed very lucky, because you can still stay in your game and don’t have to wait for a successor unless all other people here. :wink:

Before you follow any advice of this guy you should take a look at his reputation and then at some of his posts.

Oh you haven’t played DB yet, I see.

(edxot) #235

i believe there are several reasons for this:
1 - hardware. you can play ET in a 17" monitor, but QW in open spaces requires much more.
2 - anti-cheats stopped working a long time ago. and even when they worked, never prevented the use of macros.
3 - scripting in QW is more complicated than in ET. resulting in more inbalance between beginers and experts.
4 - this one is more complicated to explain. like many others i played QW after playing ET. and for ages i did it without ever entering a vehicle (let noobs use vehicles, they need it, lol). my strategy for defending refinery 1st objective would be something like this: hide and wait until they get it (resignation), in 2nd objective i will start to play. because all atempts to kill anyone would result in me getting killed by some vehicle. it was by acident that some day i tested agressor with oblit, and that was it for me, never tried to play technician again in that objective.
can you believe that not so long ago, i was seeing people using the same strategy as i did in the start ? hidding during the mcp stage, to start playing only in the 2nd obj. maybe the game needs a better tutorial, or more videos showing how things get done.
btw, dont confuse this with what i was doing to get xp to climb ladder. its like in ET. one medic defending can camp near objective or spawnrape from start. while the first gets to win, the second gets the credit. in QW there is the same problem, an agressor with obliterator can stay near objective and prevent enemy heavy vehicles from controling the place. but he can also go to the back of enemy spawn and shoot deployables. its not very diferent from ET.

(twt_thunder) #236

agree @ edxot
etqw isnt really that far from ET, but It will never be the same.
I shall admit that me and some friends where wondering to make an ET2 , But I have the last year realised that it wouldnt be the same.
Because with another engine than q3 you would have to rebuild all tools and people who map for ET wouldnt be able to.
porting ET to unreal or torque3d engine wouldnt be impossible. But I cant see where it would lead…
Et is and will always be an uniqe game.
This is also something I guess SD have realised.
And instead of saying any of these games are going forward I will put it this way:
ET is still under development and still have players. Yes they are hardcore ET fans, but why not…
Only thing ET really need is a propper anticheat NOT in a mod but an standalone that may work with ET and any mod.
I will not continue to write more as this discussion will never end. ET will be 12 years this year… And thats UNIQE!

(Dragonji) #237

Someone really taking this poll seriously? Keep in mind that OP configured it very poorly so every user can vote ∞ times. Just need to clear cookies.

(BioSnark) #238

It’s a good thing ET and ETQW 2 won’t happen or people’d just be bitching about how x is worse than y in the sequel. People who haven’t played Brink in years are still bitching that it wasn’t ET2.

(rorgoroth) #239

I’d prefer it if they went back to making maps and working on small mods of already created games.

(.Chris.) #240

The development of Wolfenstein MP was a lot more complicated than that, Endrant was the last company to touch it, Threewave had their hands on it before them and pretty much had all maps built and such, there were rumours there was another before them too but I’ve never found anything within the game files to back that up. Threewave had veil based deployables and power ups and special weapons dotted around the maps (the files still exist in the .pk4s), these were removed at some point, I assume Endrant did so. I kind of feel sorry for Endrant, they still get a lot of flak for Wolf MP to this day but they were given task of polishing a turd pretty much at the last minute, we’d be probably be bitching about SD if they were given same task that late in the game’s development, though would have been slightly better given their experience, the whole thing was handled poorly and rushed out of the door with no post release support, blame Activision for that. :slight_smile: