Wake Island [WIP]

(maggol) #61

wow, nice work chris. Really awesome work

(alphabeta) #62

Do you have an up to date download we can try out?

(.Chris.) #63

Not yet, I’m working on the mining laser stage now and updating the terrain/megatexture, whilst doing these I can’t really make a new release even though stages 1 and 2 are done, too many things are in motion :slight_smile:

I rendered a full sized megatexture last night to see how it would turn out, only took 20mins! It looks so much better, I’ll get screenshots when at home and see how big the file size is.

EDIT: I’m open to suggestions for the last stage. I was thinking some doc run objective to ‘deliver’ some explosive thing that needs inserting into something the GDF have built in order to destroy it.

(Donnovan) #64

Nirvana not dead yet?

(Donnovan) #65

Hey Chris. What about we make map togheder?

(.Chris.) #66

WolfMP needs maps.

I edited a Quake 4 model, I know it’s not the done thing but hey thought be nice idea to make map where they are testing a new vehicle in preparation for the counter offensive on Stroggos. Thinking putting some little hints of other stuff in Quake 4 like the drop pods and showing plans for those big spaceships in the opening sequence.

(Donnovan) #67

This shot is from a WolfMP map?

(.Chris.) #68

No, they didn’t have space ships in WW2. I was saying WolfMP needs new maps if looking for work, I will begin work again on that mod when finished messing around with wake.

(Donnovan) #69

I was just asking, since it sounds like new map.

(.Chris.) #70

(Apples) #71

me gusta +chars

(taw_m0nsta) #72

Awesome looking aircraft!

(.Chris.) #73

It’s from Quake4 with texture changes, I wan’t to make my own at some point to make it more like a prototype of the same craft but for now will use this even if it’s naughty to do so, I’ve got few more areas for the last stage and the GDF last spawn to make and it’ll be pretty much ready for release.

(Donnovan) #74

What is the size of the full-resolution megatexture?

Great mega.

(.Chris.) #75

It’s 193mb, I doubt I’ll release it with the full one till final. Just looked at sizes for stock maps, island is only 144mb.

(Donnovan) #76

Nice. You remember the compression settings you used on the mega (the 3 that ranges from 0% to 100%)?

(.Chris.) #77

I used 25% on all 3 of them.

(Donnovan) #78

May be if you try 50% / 60%. I use that in most megatextures.

Also, since a considerable part of the mega is bellow the ocean, may be you can try to add a ocean mask (a bit far from litoral) and make mega really simple on this area (plain color) to allow hugh compression.

And then release next version with full resolution mega :smiley:

(iwound) #79

this has come a long way since i saw pytox’s original. some nice work there chris. im wondering what was mops involvment.

(.Chris.) #80

MoP made the terrain model and megatexture. He also blocked out the first stage and the garage area that now forms part of the 2nd stage. Pytox took MoP’s work in a different direction using a slipgate and such with the GDF attacking. I felt this was bit out of place with the strogg base thing crawling up the beach, so I started back where MoP left off with the strogg attacking starting from that point, hacking the first objective and then so on.

I’ve mainly picked this map up again to get back into the swing of things so can contribute to the Wolf:MP mod and also as I’ve quit my job and need something to do whilst find new work :slight_smile: