The W.I.P pics thread

(CleaverDancer) #221

Ooooh very sexy me likey! when are you texturing it?

(SphereCow) #222

When…I figure out how to bake vertex colors with xnormal. : \

Tried a half dozen different formats, and they all have different, silly issues that are completely inconsistent with one another.

In short, it’s no problem. Really soon.

(Susefreak) #223

For the people interested: http://vimeo.com/channels/etqwtuts

These are the modelling tutorials made by MoP for 3dworldmag.

(SphereCow) #224

Hopefully I have some time to make some for blender specific users, since I’m sure a lot of you don’t wanna pay for max/maya. :3

There’s like…a dozen problems that come up when you’re exporting to md5 from blender that I only found out by punching my monitor with my face, tweaking things and re-exporting.

For example, that gun I made up there flipped the f*** out after I re-exported it with some 20 polygons more than the imperceptible limit. Half the parts would flatten against walls on the map, vertex points would jump everywhere, and some of the bullets were dancing. Ultra creepy.

Anyway, MoP uploaded those yesterday? How straaaange. I thought those were pretty old.

(murka) #225

Mop’s tutorials are indeed quite old, but quite recently we weren’t able to find them anywhere other than our hard drives.

(.Chris.) #226

That be cool, after downloading your rig I just looked at it for 5 mins and thought, how the hell did this guy get his working, however after watching mops videos I think I understand what is what a little bit :slight_smile:

(SphereCow) #227

It was funny when MoP said something along the lines of “Exporting can take a while, but you only have to do it once, so it’s okay.” That was the punchline of the entire tutorial.

But really, after you figure out a few things, even if things go disasterously wrong you can figure them out pretty quickly.

Same way I got to Carnegie Hall. : O

Edit: I had bone drivers for the fingers and hands that were pretty great for doing tons of hand gestures, but they’re not part of the GDF rig.

Hopefully when I get tiiiime I’ll set that up too, and upload it. Hopefully with a better character, too. : O

(SphereCow) #228

Blorp:

Just downloaded Petroc’s big-ass anatomy file for 40 bucks. Hopefully it helps my anatomy heavy characters not look like ****. : O

Edit: Oh, yes totally worth it.

(damnIt) #229

Thanks for the nice pictures… It’s a real master work…

(Azuvector) #230

Well, nice to know there are modelers interested in making players and vehicles in ETQW now…

(SphereCow) #231

Always been interested in making players. Not so much vehicles, unless there’s only a tiny amount of scripting.

I never really wanted to do a real mod because I sucked at making characters as I didn’t understand a lot of technical things. I’m getting better, though:

I would have been really interested in putting together a relatively small TC of Brace, but it seems like Tinman is dead, or at least, lacks motivation for some reason.

Unfortunate. I really love that mod, it’s a fantastic concept, and very very fun.

(Scrupus) #232

wow awesome :smiley:

Add a couple of those to Brace, and I’m sure it will be more popular! :infiltrator:

(SphereCow) #233

shrugs Brace apparently has a bunch of technical issues. Same reason I haven’t updated the Bicycle, really. Just got to a point where I said “screw it.”

If I were to try to do anything for brace that’d start after a couple months prolly. Gotta gather a lot of concepts and the like, and figure out a theme. Not doing any of this stuff without concept art.

(kilL_888) #234

heyho.

im pretty bored currently, so i decided to do some leveldesign again.

im a fan of grey and minimalistic design, so i created a few textures, which are actually just plain colors in different grey tones. some of em have specular maps.

and this is what i have done since yesterday. approx 4 (incl. texture creation) hours of working time. took a bit longer than i expected. i had to rebuild the ceiling a couple of times.

not much yet, i know, but i wanted to share something. maybe you have some thoughts about it.

(click to enlarge)

(light_sh4v0r) #235

Reminds me of portal, which is a good thing :slight_smile:

(kilL_888) #236

yea. never played it, but i like the clean style of it.

heres some more. done this evening. ceiling pretty much redone again. :slight_smile: new lightning.

(kilL_888) #237

the room starts to get some shape. :slight_smile:

map is currently called “tubes” btw. who would have thought about that? :slight_smile:

(kilL_888) #238

adding some stuff to the ceiling

(SphereCow) #239

Are you doing this using the editor or modeling software? It’d probably be a lot easier in blender/max. ; [

(kilL_888) #240

not if you have no idea about using maya, max or blender. tried it but failed miserably. dont have the patience to learn a completely new program.

so, its done in radiant. ive been using radiant for several years now. the ceiling just took me 30mins or so. so, its not that hard for me to work with patches.