The W.I.P pics thread

(SphereCow) #201

Lets go mug the person that rigged the characters for ETQW. <3

(.Chris.) #202

Quicky question, how did you get the player rig into blender?

(SphereCow) #203

There was an importer for blender that der_ton made on the Doom3 forums, but I have a version of the ETQW rig with inverse kinematics bones set up that you should use instead. It’s on the previous page beneath my silly character post.

Use and abuse it, buddy. <3 It’ll make animating walk cycles a billion times easier.

(.Chris.) #204

That importer never worked for me neither did the exporter, I had to use 2.5 and its exporter for my vehicles.

Also your link doesn’t work, I tried downloading it before. :slight_smile:

(murka) #205

Nearing completion, yet i haven’t got past etqw crashing when adding a (custom)vehicle gui.

(Apples) #206

woooooooooooooooosh pewpew

:smiley:

(light_sh4v0r) #207

Very cool :slight_smile:
Does it have anansi physics, or does it fly like a proper jet? (IE no airbrakes or hovering.)

(.Chris.) #208

Join Sunday nirvana and find out, it’s in Brinstar, albeit the older non weapon and landing gear version.

(SphereCow) #209

[QUOTE=.Chris.;254936]That importer never worked for me neither did the exporter, I had to use 2.5 and its exporter for my vehicles.

Also your link doesn’t work, I tried downloading it before. :)[/QUOTE]

Really? Blender 2.49.2?

Hrmph. Works perfect for that version, and 2.49b, even, iirc.

I’ll upload the rig in a sec.

It’s attached. Unfortunately I had to ditch any geometry, so it’s just the rig and the IK set up. Boring, huh? I even left a viewport open with a giant middle finger taking up the entire screen, but that had to go. Dick move, I know!

Anyway, enjoy.

(murka) #210

[quote=light_sh4v0r;255317]Very cool :slight_smile:
Does it have anansi physics, or does it fly like a proper jet? (IE no airbrakes or hovering.)[/quote]

It should(needs slight tuning) fly like a jet with a vtol engine.
_leanleft/_leanright to decrease/increase(respectively) thruster angle and _sprint/_speed(a.k.a. walk) to increase/decrease thruster force. Also, you fall when at low speed and such. Flying upside down should also keep you at constant height.

If anyone is interested in giving suggestions to physics/controls tuning then grab it here: link

(Nail) #211

Flying upside down should also keep you at constant height.

huh, vector thrust vehicles auger in upside down unless in full forward thrust, even then unstable, Is that something you coded ?

(murka) #212

Keeping a game and reality separate is what i decided.
What you want out of a game is the entity doing what you want, not having to compensate for a near-infinity things. Allowing freedom just extends the possibilities and no harm is done.
For example, the anansi, while quite easy to fly, even some moan about its difficulty. I just tested what works better and does what i want and was guided by a rich past in dogfighting with anansi and stuff it lacked. For example, doing a upside-down head-on approach was quite rewarding in some cases, but having the anansi drop fast meant that you needed height to do that.
Well, that’s why i need people to test it and give suggestions.

(SphereCow) #213

Now THIS is good character art. Puts my **** to shame.

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-07-13/20090713011955188,1.shtml

Hopefully I’m at least that good some day, though. : O

Damn, wish I had a link to his high polygon model. It was nuts.

(.Chris.) #214

They are a bit ‘busy’, while they must have took some serious skill to model and skin the actual design has way too much happening in my opinion.

Thanks for re-upload, will have look later.

The 2.49 import script dumped all the joints at 0,0,0 and the export script gave some armature error, the same model exported fine in 2.5

(SphereCow) #215

I’m just in love with the high poly model video for the first “recon” character by the russian dude. It has such a technical rig with well designed and articulated parts. It was badass.

Doing this kind of work is ridiculously time consuming, there’s just so much knowledge and skill that goes into effectively creating 3D art that it always surprises me.

Oh ****, there’s a part two.

(light_sh4v0r) #216

That was awesome! :smiley:

(SphereCow) #217

Introducing… the Albatross railgun.

(light_sh4v0r) #218

Nice job! What’s the point of having 2 triggers on it?

(Donnovan) #219

Demos recorded on servers with that goodies have problems to be played?

(SphereCow) #220

Cool down function, since the gun overheats, and the overheat is long. Going to be a bit more of a pain in the ass to do since you can’t use animation channels(the parts of an entityDef that allows characters/items to have independently animated parts) for viewmodels ; [

I hoped to script being able to switch hands into it by double tapping lean buttons, but that’s out of the question now, too. D;