Team-Aero SHOUTcast Radio!

(Crytiqal) #1

Team-Aero announces a SHOUTcast radio for tonight and upcoming matches for the FTMLeague!

To enjoy this spectacle connect to the following webaddress and listen to our first broadcast!
http://88.159.160.153:8000/index.html?sid=1

Also don’t be shy to join the #etqw.ftmleague irc channel!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO SYNCHRONIZE THE SHOUTCAST!!!

Synchronizing the shoutcast with the match

A shoutcast streams delay is usually 30-45 seconds behind live, a game’s TV delay can be anything from 1 to 5 minutes. With this in mind, the shoutcast will broadcast events before you see them in your game. The easiest way to sync them is by assigning global hotkeys to control the audioplayer, this way you can play/pause/stop the shoutcast ingame - and that’s all you need:
When the count down begins and the match is about to get underway the shoutcaster will often either countdown 3,2,1 FIGHT, or just FIGHT. As soon as you hear FIGHT, instantly hit pause. When the TV server you are connected to catches up and you see FIGHT on your screen, unpause your player by hitting your hotkey. Throughout the match the shoutcaster may give several “sync up’s” aimed at helping the viewer to synchronize the two, utilise these as you would if it was the start of the match. The shoutcaster will perhaps say the time on the clock is 10 minutes, pause at this point, and again unpause when you see 10 minutes on your game TV.
If you miss the sync and suddenly the shoutcast lags behind the live action, hit your stop-hotkey and then the play-hotkey. That way you’ll turn the shoutcast live again and start the sync-process.

(Ecano) #2

Hi guys,

this is really good.

Many thanks! QW is alive!

(Shelly) #3

hey everyone,

we really enjoyed the shoutcast trial today and would like to say thx to all listeners. The relay loop from the sound has been given an audio boost so now its on par with the hosts microphone. Meaning next time all shoutcasters should be equally as loud. We re working on more improvements like music intro etc. and would appreciate suggestions. So dont hesitate to contact us here or on irc quakenet #etqw.FTMLeague with ideas/suggestions to make this an entertaining shoutcast. =)

(INF3RN0) #4

[QUOTE=RE-L;393341]
QW is alive![/QUOTE]

What, When, How!?

(onYn) #5

Nice idea with the shoutcast! Tho I was bit confused in the beginning what it is xD

Has it been recorded? I would really like to hear it.
Why do the shoutcaster have to be on the server where the game is being played, instead of the tv server?

(Dthy) #6

The shoutcasters should really be on the TV server aswell. It’s a bit bad if they get excited about something happening on the server which hasn’t happened on the TV server. Also if they’re on the TV server they can see the banter what naturally happens.

(Shelly) #7

[QUOTE=onYn;393366]Nice idea with the shoutcast! Tho I was bit confused in the beginning what it is xD

Has it been recorded? I would really like to hear it.
Why do the shoutcaster have to be on the server where the game is being played, instead of the tv server?[/QUOTE]

yes we recorded it ^^ and will upload it today, so you can listen to it.

(Shelly) #8

the problem with this is that the shoutcast itself has a delay too. so we have a tv server delay from say 20 sec to the actual match plus another ~30 sec delay from the shoutcast. yesterday was a trial and from set up to going live we had about 2 hrs to get it started. today we will try to optimize things, there was just not enough time for this yesterday.

(.Chris.) #9

It should be on the server, though the shoutcaster should let you know at regular intervals of the cast at what time of the map they are at so you can sync with them by pausing the stream by how many seconds you are out.

(jopjop) #10

Also some shoutcast advertisement would be nice on the tv server like maybe adress and delay if its not possible to sync the delay of tv server and stream to the same value.
If its not possible to add advertisemet to tv server only it might be too spammy to advertise it on the gameserver… dunno…
The shoutcasts are a nice idea. It was fun to listen and onyx made me lol :smiley: He also had nice point when he mentioned that the lower teams usually are not that bad at shooting/aiming they just cant/wont adapt to the enemys tactics as well as the better teams.

(Shelly) #11

Yes we will try this tonight and hopefully all listeners will read the first post here with infos about “pausing” to make the sync possible.

Due to the delay of the shoutcast itself + the delay on tv server we will for now continue shoutcasting from the match servers.
Although we would prefer doing it from the tv server so we dont miss the conversations there. Maybe in future we´ll find a solution here to work around the shoutcast delay.

@ joppy: For the shoutcast advertisement on tv servers we´d need someone to help since we´re only connected to the match servers. Any volunteers?^^

I also really enjoyed onyx comments, they were well founded on gameplay/tactics just like rubbens and crytis and he also brought a nice portion of good humour with him. I hope he will continue ^^.

We would like to also do some interviews before and after matches with special guests. It would be nice if team members of current matches would be available for this, so we can hear how they prepared for match and maybe a post mortem after match.

Currently we are looking into archiving the broadcast streams so they can be made available for replay on the website and are also working on the option for listeners to use their favourite media player to listen to the radio (so winamp isnt required).

(Snotling) #12

I really enjoyed yesterday’s shoutcast, good job guys! :wink: Just a suggestion, remember to say what division the teams belong to and what are the rosters playing.

With a better sound, it’ll be really awesome, gg!

(light_sh4v0r) #13

nice initiative guys :slight_smile:

(Khamul) #14

When developers start to support us?Ofc idea is the best. Remember guyz about synchronize.

(rUBBEN) #15

We will add messages that come out every 5 min or something like that saying details etc

(Shelly) #16

thanks everyone, your feedback is much appreciated.

and thx to cup admins for the msgs that will be added. =)

(r3fleX) #17

Made me lol reading this, strangely sounds just like a comment i made to onyx last week or so :rolleyes:, i wonder where he got the inspiration from :wink:

(Ashog) #18

Can we get this as into musik?

//youtu.be/xC03hmS1Brk

(Shelly) #19

After some consideration we decided not to continue with the shoutcasts. Sorry to disappoint anyone. Thx again for feedback and suggestions. Maybe someone else can pick up the idea and continue. =)

(Napoleon.Solo) #20

Sorry to hear that Shelly. I haven’t heard a good shoutcast since the Scotsman and was looking forward to these.