TAW - T.he A.rt of W.arfare recruitment thread

(f34n0r) #1

Since the main forums are down and may never come back up, I will restart the TAW recruitment thread here, assuming there are no objections from the SD staff.

We are a gaming community that was founded in 2001 starting with Delta Force.

TAW has grown to encompass over 700 members across 15 different games.

In our Quake Wars Division we meet twice a week for an event known as Battle for Earth.

http://taw.net/blogs/features/archive/2009/04/19/quake-wars-battle-for-earth-ix.aspx

Quake Wars is the largest division in TAW with 140 members across two Battalions, North American and European. We meet on Sundays and Tuesdays for our main event, Battle For Earth. For those who don’t know, Battle For Earth represents the ultimate potential of the Enemy Territory Quake Wars game. We break down into 16 man teams called platoons. Each platoon has a Platoon Leader, Squad Leader and a Fire Team Leader. People are permanently assigned to a platoon for a whole Battle for Earth season, which can last 1-2 months.

Over the course of this season, the different platoons fight each other for supremacy in a very organized and coordinated way. Everyone knows what maps will be played far in advance and what side they will play on, so there is maximum opportunity for planning and strategy. Platoon members will create elaborate tactics and strategies and send them out to each other via email, have practice sessions on the maps, and even use G-Tactix sessions and screenshots to plan their attacks and defenses. ( http://gtactix.com/ )

Enemy Territory Quake Wars was created for massive, organized teams. Everything about the game is centered on teamwork and coordination. Often in the public ranked servers there is not much cooperation or teamwork to be had, and many parts of the game go unused and untouched. Things like the context menu, mission drop-down selection menu, fire-teams, in-game VOIP, fire-team waypoints and other teamwork tools the game provides that are ignored on the public servers are all things we use regularly in TAW Quake Wars. Among first person shooters, Quake Wars is the perfect balance of teamwork and tactics while still providing a lot of fast paced shooting action. Battle for Earth takes this to the next level by turning the game into a truly well-planned war where your enemy is already trying to out-think you. Imagine chess but with modern military pieces instead of kings, knights and pawns. Quake Wars is not your average F.irst P.erson S.hooter game, it is a tactical FPS.

We have an American group and a European group, although anyone of any nationality may join either so long as they can make the times and meet the following requirements:

-meet twice a week on Sunday and Tuesday at 9pm EST(American) or 2100 GMT(European)
-you must be at least 15 years of age or older
-you must have a working microphone
-you must be a mature team-player
-you must be willing to work in a command-structure both on the battlefield and in the overall TAW organization.

TAW follows a strict code of ethics that mainly stresses 3 things: have fun, respect others and do not cheat.

We maintain a very active roster and have over 150 members within our QW division. We also respect real life and understand if our members occasionally have to miss a match.

We have over 100 ETQW servers spread out across 4 machines on two different continents. We have our own website and forums and an unlimited-slot teamspeak server with access to all other games that TAW plays. We also have support for Xfire.

We use not only Enemy Territory Quake Wars, but we also use the following mods for it:
-Promod
-Quake Wars Tactical Assault
-Duskmod
-Bracemod
-Flightmod
-Wheels of War mod

Tired of the original 12 maps that came with the game? We use over 30 unique custom maps, some created by TAW members.

In addition to Battle for Earth we also engage in 16 v 16 and 12 v 12 matches against other clans/organizations.

We also maintain external competition teams that represent TAW in 6 v 6, 5 v 5, 4 v 4 and 8 v 8 matches.

As a community service we also host TAW public custom map servers in both America and Europe and host community events as well as co-hosting the ICE-Nervana Custom Map event on Sundays with Scrupus who runs the ICE servers. You don’t need anything fancy to play on our public custom map servers, just connect and you can auto-download everything you need. We also maintain several public mod servers such as Duskmod, Bracemod and our pro-pubs.

Come see why over 150 people from the ETQW community have chosen TAW as their home and why our member retention rate is so high. Our record for attendance has been 87 members at once, here is a screenshot of 65 members attending a clan match.

TAW Quake Wars Division

(_milla) #2

(lister-absurd) #3

This smacks of desperate, which you shouldn’t be considering the size if the clan. Usually i would think having quality people in your clan would make you more desirable a clan to join, especially with the number of servers you run and the extra stuff you do. But apparently you went with the quantity over quality concept… Good luck with that.

(f34n0r) #4

Actually we go for quantity AND quality. :smiley:

Every single one of those guys in that list adds something positive to the game and all of our players are mature and constantly work to improve their game.

Nothing desperate about it, our superb structure allows us to accommodate lots of quality people and still lets us discriminate, though we have a lot of members we still wind up rejecting quite a few many people as well. We see ourselves as stewards of this game and the bigger and more widespread we become the longer ETQW will last.

(WhiteAden) #5

link ain’t working!

(Tandem) #6

I guess unsportsmanlike conduct isn’t covered with these statements.
GLHF

(Susefreak) #7

It’s always great to see some arguments when people make statements.

(dopefisher) #8

I didn’t know you guys started with Delta Force… that was my first FPS clan game as well… I was Moustochisan2 in that game… Boy did Runfast kill that game LOL

(dopefisher) #9

YEah TAW is definitely your best choice for a clan if you like organization and real warfare and stuff like that. Very serious awesome clan.

(f34n0r) #10

Just a reminder to everyone, we are nearing the end of our 14th Battle for Earth season. For a description on “Battle for Earth” or ‘BFE’ as we call it, check this link which described our BFE #9: http://taw.net/blogs/features/archive/2009/04/19/quake-wars-battle-for-earth-ix.aspx

We are still recruiting. On average we have 70-80 American/western hemisphere members show up twice a week in teamspeak and 40-50 Europeans/Africans/western Asians show up twice a week for matches.

Come join us and see why we are still the biggest and most organized group out there and why we have the most fun and highest member retention.

(Donnovan) #11

Their “unsportmanlike” conduct have caused any real problem?

I don’t see like that. They dont give up fast, and this awake insecurity on other.

(Azuvector) #12

[QUOTE=Donnovan;237419]Their “unsportmanlike” conduct have caused any real problem?

I don’t see like that. They dont give up fast, and this awake insecurity on other.[/QUOTE]

Psst. You’re replying to a 6+ month old troll. :stuck_out_tongue:

(ED209) #13

Aww spoiling all the fun… was getting into the conflict

(Szakalot) #14

Exactly, i was just about to watch the show !

(Donnovan) #15

Not conflict by my self, i have no more to say about hehe. Don’t have the time to convince world via internet.

(fry) #16

actually the fact that there are “monster-clans” like TAW shows how lazy the community has become.
If there were some motivated players in TAW, there would not be 1 clan having 100 members but 10 clans having 10 members.

This shall not be understood as a flame against TAW, but i think in general the ET:QW - community is very lazy :smiley:

(Donnovan) #17

And this is a good thing? Since your mouth is like “D” and not like “(”.

“I like poo :-D” Bogobill

(f34n0r) #18

[QUOTE=fry;237605]actually the fact that there are “monster-clans” like TAW shows how lazy the community has become.
If there were some motivated players in TAW, there would not be 1 clan having 100 members but 10 clans having 10 members.

This shall not be understood as a flame against TAW, but i think in general the ET:QW - community is very lazy :-D[/QUOTE]

No offense taken, but we are not a “monster” clan. In fact, we are more organized than any other group out there, doing two organized matches a week with a strong and specific structure. We do an internal tournament breaking our members down into teams and having the teams play each other in organized matches using mods and custom maps as well. Everyone follows certain rules, shows up on time reliably and it is a lot of fun, no other group has tried this and you can’t get this experience with external scrims because groups who don’t follow your rules won’t show up on time reliably. We are not the size we are because ETQW players are “lazy,” far from it, ETQW has one of the highest learning curves around and although the community has shrunk a bit, there are very dedicated players left. Our size it is a testament to the fun we are having and the professionalism in which we organize.

(fry) #19

I did never ever say you are not organized.
If you weren’t organized very well, you would not do matches and probably wouldn’t have so many members.Actually I think TAW is one of the most organized clans in ETQW…

My point was that most qw- players nowadays dont want to build up a team of their own and arent able to organize anything.
I am not playing in a clan, as I am not very active but I think having more clans instead of big clans keeps the community more active.
And maybe we would still have some active ESL oder clanbase ladder or tournament if there were some more clans

(Shelly) #20

[QUOTE=fry;237695]
And maybe we would still have some active ESL oder clanbase ladder or tournament if there were some more clans[/QUOTE]

I giggled at the “oder” in there :smiley: