Steam Greenlight is here

(Domagoj) #99

well I get lil back in time when master list was down for 6 months or so, i think we sohuld be happy for what we currently have, its not much but still good :slight_smile:

(Dragonji) #100

Anybody knows what happened to bani? Is there any way to contact him? Is SD able to find him?

The perfect world would look like this:

ET:L team, bani and chaplja works on the new version of ET:L with fully integrated TZAC. After that bani releases ETPro 3.3 :slight_smile:

Good that dreaming is not prohibited (yet).

(Nail) #101

I can’t see that collaboration happening

(twt_thunder) #102

Just currious, have anybody done anything with this? sent some emails or something?

(Mateos) #103

Admins have fixed the typo in the thread name (Thanks:D), near that I guess some people send mails, but not sure there would be a reason for Zenimax to care a lot about them… Depend on how many sendings

(porov) #104

Hi all, i am long time ET player, i used to play very actively from 2003 to 2008 and less frequently since then.

Putting ET on steam will surely bring it back to life.

Since around 2008 however it has been going steadily downhill.

The condition that it is in now is unacceptable in order to have it on Steam. Let me list a few of the major problems:

1. Servers hijacking menu and sounds. if you join any of the more popular servers it is very likely that your menu could be seriously messed up and littered with links to the server in question.
  2. Servers listing incorrect amount of players - the top servers on the server browser are actually full of bots, there should be a way for this to be visible on the server browser.
  3. No widescreen support
  4. No punkbuster / anti-cheat support
  5. Mods should not install themselves automatically like they do now, and there should be a way for players to see what mod a server is running which is not possible on the default server browser.

The best thing that could be done is to combine most of the features of the mods into the vanilla version.

Of course I am not fooling myself as this will probably never happen.

(NovaPrime) #105

I love the steam idea. Not sure I like the idea of forcing an unofficial engine which has not been battle tested and proven though.
But I guess by then most bugs might be fixed.

(Mateos) #106

Maybe a good argument would be “RtCW is already available on it, Q3 & ETQW too”?

(Dragonji) #107

The problem is that all of these titles aren’t free :wink:

id has no business in putting ET on Steam, unfortunately…

(Radegast) #108

Basically, that is what we do in ET: Legacy … and more

1. Servers hijacking menu and sounds
  • true, this is annoying. See here. Moving from etmain to legacy is only a temporary workaround. When the groundwork is done, I’ll see what can be done about this.
  1. Servers listing incorrect amount of players
  • see above. btw, I am working on a Master Server which should sync with iD’s etmaster, but provide more features.
  1. No widescreen support
  • ET:L does have widescreen support
  1. No punkbuster / anti-cheat support
  • I talked about Punkbuster and its cousin TZAC so much that I am out of breath. However, let me say that we have made so many security fixes in ET:L that I am astonished that W:ET 2.60b servers are still up and not overflown with hackers
  1. Mods should not install themselves automatically
  • I don’t agree.

there should be a way for players to see what mod a server is running

• I agree. There is already a way, but it should be displayed in the server list. It will be on our TODO list.

(Radegast) #109

Yes. Well, not about Steam Greenlight per se. We first need to liberate the datafiles or obtain the rights to use them. I sent a PM to Badman and wrote an email to Zenimax. Badman ignores me and Zenimax probably automatically discard all emails they receive. Maybe I will try to send it by post.

If we had at least a semi-official blessing from Splash Damage or Zenimax we could send ET:L to the stars and beyond.

(Mateos) #110

[QUOTE=Radegast;419043]3. No widescreen support

• ET:L does have widescreen support
  1. Mods should not install themselves automatically
  • I don’t agree.

there should be a way for players to see what mod a server is running

• I agree. There is already a way, but it should be displayed in the server list. It will be on our TODO list.[/QUOTE]

About Widescreen:
http://www.etlegacy.com/projects/etlegacy/repository/revisions/c7de820e9d1078ad46191fd65c359ae161fd45f2

If I read correctly, you just changed the 1360x768 resolution to 1366x768, without fixing the fact some hud elements and stuff around are “fat”?

Source games have an option for downloads:

• Accept all.
  • Exclude audio files.
  • Exclude all (Including maps).

The second is interesting: you’ll ba able to play on the server, without download any audio crap. Maybe ET:L could analyze the custom PK3 and seek certain types of files to see what it does alter, but seems quite complicated…

(Radegast) #111

[QUOTE=Mateos;419047]
If I read correctly, you just changed the 1360x768 resolution to 1366x768[/QUOTE]
That specific change does what you said, but widescreen support was added in several different commits :wink:

Those optional downloads for audio files sound interesting.

(Mateos) #112

Ah sorry then, will check on a more recent build then… My ticket about a “real” widescreen support has been closed after this commit, that’s why I was wondering ^^’

(twt_thunder) #113

[QUOTE=Radegast;419046]Yes. Well, not about Steam Greenlight per se. We first need to liberate the datafiles or obtain the rights to use them. I sent a PM to Badman and wrote an email to Zenimax. Badman ignores me and Zenimax probably automatically discard all emails they receive. Maybe I will try to send it by post.

If we had at least a semi-official blessing from Splash Damage or Zenimax we could send ET:L to the stars and beyond.[/QUOTE]

I read your e-mail to zenimax…I dont think the email is good enough.
I got problems with english grammar so i wont write to them i think.They would prob laugh their ass off :smiley:
but you need to form this letter or email otherwise.
zenimax want to see that they somehow earn on this project.
And they do… In this way:
As ET must be one of the easiest games to mod and make assets to, its a great way for new programmers,gfx dudes,modelers and so on to try their stuff on, they could earn on gettingnew people for their newer games, if they look forward in time.
Also that this game is good for them as an comercial gimick to get people interrested in what they do as SD once did.
You see we’re still hanging around here … hoping for the next wolfet…
And also you need to arange something if you want them to put it on steam, I mean for the money so they see the comunity is willing to pay the prize for getting it on steam

If you understand what i mean?

(badman) #114

[QUOTE=Radegast;419046]Yes. Well, not about Steam Greenlight per se. We first need to liberate the datafiles or obtain the rights to use them. I sent a PM to Badman and wrote an email to Zenimax. Badman ignores me and Zenimax probably automatically discard all emails they receive. Maybe I will try to send it by post.

If we had at least a semi-official blessing from Splash Damage or Zenimax we could send ET:L to the stars and beyond.[/QUOTE]

http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/32687-Steam-Greenlight-is-here?p=405473&viewfull=1#post405473 :slight_smile:

(shonshrinks) #115

Sounds awesome! I’d love to see that. Add me on steam if there’ll be a vote, I’ll get all of my friends to vote for it :slight_smile:
steam username: shonshrinks

(wh_te) #116

Sounds damn great

(H1ghty) #117

Is it still possible?

(cheesy) #118

Probably not going to happen unless iD gets involved. Steam would struggle with many questions, such as…

Do we use any of the unofficial license-breaking ET installers out there?
Do we role out fairly new and untested engine-client combos made by off-duty plumbers in the UK?
Do we proceed when iD wants nothing to do with it?

If this did happen, it would be the original, and only official installer imo.