Pointe du Hoc - Mapping Project

(KeMoN) #41

I decided to show you some early-screens of what the town will look like. I also will post the artwork which I want to build.

The screenshots have been deleted. New town in progress EDIT(24th July 2011)

(Infinitypl123) #42

When one of those maps will be available to download?
Bests,

(Kic) #43

Oops Shock !!!
I never saw so nice thing in Enemy Territory . I am really shocked !!!

EDIT: ahh those two 1st screens are COD screens .
Anyway Kemon dont hesitate to ask me. I can cooperate with you on my more better models . Contact me in profile or in another way .

(KeMoN) #44

[QUOTE=Kic;274923]Oops Shock !!!
I never saw so nice thing in Enemy Territory . I am really shocked !!!

EDIT: ahh those two 1st screens are COD screens .
Anyway Kemon dont hesitate to ask me. I can cooperate with you on my more better models . Contact me in profile or in another way .[/QUOTE]

Surely :smiley: I started with the town one day ago and it looks like that :tongue:

@Infinitypl123
It is one mapping project and there is still plenty stuff to do. I have great help but still it will take its time. Iā€™m sorry.

(KeMoN) #45

afdgaadhaahfd

(Avoc) #46

Sun seems to be placed wrongly with relation to the skybox :smiley:

(KeMoN) #47

You see those streetlamps and the light at the guard shack? Now compare it to the sun :smiley:

You see some analogies? :wink: I put it there for some effect :smiley:

(KeMoN) #48

Pointe du Hoc
An Enemy Territory Map

Current number of brushes: ā€˜5924ā€™
Current number of Entities: ā€˜517ā€™

That may sound much on the first moment but keep in mind that the beach + cliff and the cliff-zone are two ā€˜seperateā€™ areas. If you look from the beach up you canā€™t see the cliff-zone and if you look from the cliff-zone down you canā€™t see the front of the cliff and the majority of the cliff-zone so we are pretty even on that.

I changed several bunkers and also added some. I tried to create the Observation bunker.
Also I add several different trenches and finished the map to the left and right with barbwire and mine-fields.
Previously I used only Flak guns now I reduced their amount to 2 and added 3 naval cannons (thanks to Kic)
Now there will be the most difficult part of the whole map. The border between cliff-zone and the small village. One house is already built.

The village you see on the previous screenshots will not be used because it contains too many hills for a town in northern France (Normandy).

Well have a look on your own. Would be glad for response!

Regards

(Shownie) #49

All I can say is wow and great work :smiley:

Looks really good, I like the high quality of this map, hope it will be smooth to play :wink:

(BackSnip3) #50

Canā€™t say for now,havenā€™t tested on a server,doesnā€™t lags at the moment on my computer,once we get the rough layout completly finished we optimise,and then Iā€™ll pimp it up with detailed models etc :wink:
We have some ideas to enhance the textures a bit, like adding some fake specularity to the walls inside that house in the last screenshot, I experimented it(might not be visible on the screens with normal settings,here I exagerated to show the effect:rolleyes:)

If anyone is interested itā€™s really simple to set upā€¦ :slight_smile:
I also experimented alpha blending with a model vertex color(.ase model) instead of using the boring alphamod brushes everywhere. :slight_smile:

This is a quick test,you can achieve better results with a bit of work :wink:

(shagileo) #51

Nice !

But if you have some spare time, could you explain a bit more about that ā€˜ase blendingā€™?
Never heard of that technique before, sounds interesting and the results look pretty good

(BackSnip3) #52

There is a tutorial about it on the internet, which used a special q3map2 compiler,but link was deadā€¦ I have found a mirror so I could do vertex blending with a model.

I didnā€™t really made it and I used blender, but it helps, itā€™s This tutorial

To make it simple:
-you create a model and several shaders (one shader per object in model)

-then you can paint the opacity of one textures (ā€“>the blending) with vertex paint (with blender,3dsmax etc). In blender, I painted in black&white (one colour for each texture).In 3dsmax itā€™s in the tutorial but I donā€™t have it, couldnā€™t testā€¦

You can use blur tools such as in a 2d program to achieve the colour effects you wantā€¦

So this way you donā€™t use alphamod cubes and you can make very accurate blending, on for example very large distancesā€¦(instead of making 100 shaders for each percent of blending in cubes)

-Then you compile with the special compiler that Iā€™ll upload here (would be good to mirror that if anyone ever needs it someday:wink:)

But itā€™s useful mostly on complex models (as this cliff:wink: ), where you need a lot and a lot of alpha brushesā€¦

If I remember in ET:QW itā€™s also used for water transparency in the border of waterlakesā€¦

(BackSnip3) #53

Recent quick lighting tests,nothing awesome but progress :slight_smile:

(shagileo) #54

Thanks for the tut, looks very interesting, might want to give it a go some time !

As for the screenshots, great work !

(BackSnip3) #55

Thanks,by googling a bit Iā€™ve seen using .lwo models you donā€™t need the special compiler,which is a good point,because it uses vertex alpha and not color :wink: so it just works as alphamod brushes :slight_smile:
But I canā€™t find a way to paint vertex alpha in Blender x_x
Iā€™m gonna try with the new blender cause I used 2.49 hihi

EDIT: no need for that! I found out using Netradiant with itā€™s q3map2 works! (use spawnflags 32 in misc_model)

(BackSnip3) #56

Little work with models going to fill the map:

(.Chris.) #57

The cobble stone in this screenshot http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1412&d=1304006216

Is that an ET texture? Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve seen it used before but cant find it for the life of me.

Nice models by the way!

(BackSnip3) #58

Donā€™t know if you talk about the stone floor,or the walls in the foreground of the picture, but I checked, and both are custom texturesā€¦:smiley:
You probably had some hallucinationā€¦:smiley:
I donā€™t know where this textures comes from, I download textures from cgtextures.com, but itā€™s KeMoN who finds the textures for this map(probably from internet texture packs). If you want the texture Iā€™ll upload it :slight_smile:

(nUllSkillZ) #59

Models are great.

(Justice) #60

Sweeet. New revolution in ET :stuck_out_tongue:

I do hope it would not drop my FPS tremendously :confused: