Pointe du Hoc - Mapping Project

(KeMoN) #61

That’s really the biggest problem BackSnip3 and me have to deal with but we are pretty sure to manage that because the map will have 3 different parts which are separated in visibility to each other.
Let’s just hope the best!!

(IndyJones) #62

kemon, it would be also nice if u could randomly rotate the X-shaped metal pieces… i forgot the name of it, i’m sure u know what i mean. at the moment it looks like u have only one model wich is copied all over the map, without changing the rotation :smiley:

(BackSnip3) #63

Thanks everyone about models :slight_smile:
@Indy: Yeah, you are talking about the dragonteeth models. Nice one, that’s not one of the most important things I’ll first see on a picture :smiley:

(IndyJones) #64

it was the first thing i saw in pictue, really :slight_smile: i just decided to post it now cause other poeple also had suggestions :stuck_out_tongue:

(Pegazus) #65

Nice project Kemon and BackSnip3. I like the way the bunkers are made but will they be connected with each other? Perhaps an underground tunnel that germans used for ammunition transport. That was an effective way to protect soldiers from harms way in order for them to get from point A to B. From photos it seems like the bunkers are relatively close to each other so the tunnels itself would be quite short. Better for gameplay in that case.
Also try playing around with the lighting. Current skybox does not give the right feeling. The real landings on Normandy took place in mist and fog if my memory serves right.

Other than that keep up the good work.

(KeMoN) #66

The most bunkers are already connected with each other but I surely will add the rest to the bunker system.
Backsnipe is already working damn hard on different light effects. From all I’ve seen it already looks impressively good but I’m sure Backsnipe wants to introduce his work by himself so I won’t tell anything so far.

Also I’m not sure about the current skybox. Like you said it was in mist and fog so maybe a grey skybox would fit better in there but we can still decide that later-on.

Thank you for your interest!

(BackSnip3) #67

New models to come for the map, sandbags:

They can be assembled, there are “3” models at the moment(the same with rotation 45 and 90°), I think of making more of them to have no hole in the walls, so people could make true lego with them :smiley:

About lighting I tried using Battery sky(with changes in it, btw the sun won’t change position after I changed the Q3_sunext angle -_-). It give super accurate shadows as I used a little bit normalmapping on the cobblestone, which sadly does not give expected result outside

when textured compared to lightmap only.
While inside it looks great.

(.Chris.) #68

Awesome models again. Liking the cobble stone also but not sure it belongs indoors? Maybe in a garage or utility room or something along those lines.

(BackSnip3) #69

Nah there won’t be cobble stone indoors,just testing it out :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #70

I’m a bit of a modeling novice so could you possibly expand further on how you managed to blend multiple textures on that cliff model whilst keeping them all aligned? I assume you have multiple objects with 2 textures per object but how did you keep the alignment?

I’m looking to replace half of my terrain for models, I was initially just going to use models for the surrounding hillsides but they stand out a bit and could do with blending with the ground which would require multiple blended textures. example

(BackSnip3) #71

I kept the alignment because I had only one model that I’ve cut in multiple parts after doing the UV’s(texture alignment).
But using models is for very complicated shapes, and if you want to modify something you need to get back to modelling editor and reexport and blahblah…I suggest you to use SimonOc’s tutorial and use alpha brushes instead of using models, but if you want more info contact me…:slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #72

I’m currently using alpha brushes, the problem is its very hard to make nice cliffs using this method as once you get past a certain angle the texture no longer aligns with the previous brush resulting in very obvious seams. It’s much quicker and tidier to make the models, just thinking of expanding their use to the whole terrain so it’s totally seamless.

(BackSnip3) #73

Ah yes I see what you mean. Yeah it’s much better to use models in this way I totally agree!
You can export your current work with gtkradiant and then do the work yourself in your preferred modelling editor :slight_smile: I use Cinema 4D but you can use Blender or such.
My biggest problem for my cliff is to make it stick(where it reaches normal terrain brushes) to the gtkradiant alignment xD, I didn’t really care about the size of my UV’s :tongue:

About your stuff I guess you want to end with something like that:

:smiley:

(Kic) #74

Backsnip, are you exporting ase as terrain ?
is there plugin for cinema 4D ?

Thanks

(BackSnip3) #75

Yes I use .ase but I use blender for exporting, sadly C4d has no custom exporting scripts:(
Greetz

(.Chris.) #76

I couldn’t get the vertex blending to work last night, was quite frustrating, the model exported the vertex paint information as when I first compiled in gtk forgetting I needed to use a different compiler it only displayed the texture for the white areas and the black areas appeared black in game. When I tried with netradiant it just used the secondary texture all over. I had the spawnflags 32 set and all. I’m using blender.

Edit: never mind it’s magically working now…

(BackSnip3) #77

Nice to hear it Chris! Wasn’t that hard hehe :wink:

(DeatH) #78

Do you have any screenshot updates for this map?

(KeMoN) #79

Not yet I’m sorry. Me and Backsnipe haven’t actually worked on it for about 3 weeks or something like that.
I’m currently working on a draft/example of the tunnel through which the allies get access to the bunker complex. Beside that I tested several RtCW and ET maps and have no several ideas.
I also came across a really cool RtCW map in which there are really cool features.

Map is called MP_Natterbase by Pazur

I also came across several other cool ideas/features in this map which could also fit into our project in some way. I’ve already contacted Pazur whether he could help me.

For screenshots of updates you need to wait a bit longer. We are really sorry for that.
Greetz, KeMoN

(DeatH) #80

[QUOTE=KeMoN;334046]Not yet I’m sorry. Me and Backsnipe haven’t actually worked on it for about 3 weeks or something like that.
I’m currently working on a draft/example of the tunnel through which the allies get access to the bunker complex. Beside that I tested several RtCW and ET maps and have no several ideas.
I also came across a really cool RtCW map in which there are really cool features.

Map is called MP_Natterbase by Pazur

I also came across several other cool ideas/features in this map which could also fit into our project in some way. I’ve already contacted Pazur whether he could help me.

For screenshots of updates you need to wait a bit longer. We are really sorry for that.
Greetz, KeMoN[/QUOTE]

Looks like a cool map, where did you find that? Do you have a download link?