Open Discussion: Possible Game Updates/Suggestions

(no_jarhead) #61

It would be great to have the chance to set up at least a couple default teams for every game mode (14, 20, 26). I like to play using a all-snipers team sometimes, some other times mixed teams, etc etc… and it’s a pain to always have to switch weapons to fit the team points and to create like 10 games with the same team having to choose 10 times the same characters.

(Desparado) #62

I think when an ability is unlocked from leveling up, and you go to the Level Menu with the rewards, you should be able to see the AP specs etc in the Level Menu

(Smouse) #63

The player who goes first has a huge advantage over his opponent. Perhaps this can be countered by allowing the challenger to see his opponents setup before choosing his.

(Bwade) #64

Not really if you play right, i like to see what my opponents do, that lets me set up just right. Trust me you dont have to run to the rocket right away, i learned that the hard way

(Smouse) #65

When I play, 9/10 I make the first move so it doesnt really effect me. Speaking more so for my poor opponents. But there is no way one can argue that having the first move is not a major advantage. Especially in small maps such as bridge or embankment

(Bwade) #66

Tinker and crozzton play really well going second send them a game invite or two. I used to feel te same way about the maps but honestly i like to go second really

(Catnadian) #67

Second turn players have access to your deployment and most likely attack strategy, and can field effective counters as a result. If you don’t plan your starting and turn 2 moves carefully, you’re going to easily lose your advantage to the second player.

(Doenerkatz) #68

I haven’t read through all replies but my suggestion is not on Desperado’s list so I’ll give it a shot:
Savable teams with customizable names! I find myself using the same team over and over again just because I’m too lazy to go to barracks and change weapons to use different setups.
New Game -> Squad Points -> select a map -> select abilities -> Select Team: A list with my favorites (eg “26 big guns” / “14 quick”)
That would be so much faster (=more fun) and even more encouraging to use different setups!

(Desparado) #69

Can’t wait to hear the announcement about RAD Solider’s in a couple days! On the future updates and whatnot.

(Jerry-Rigs) #70

Designing a game is easy. Designing a good game is hard. Rad Soldiers is a good game. Devs work in a given trade space to design a game to be challenging but not overwhelming, detailed but not cumbersome, easy to learn but with room for players to be creative. Every design decision seeks a balance or compromise among competing requirements. Applause to the devs.

Having said that, I think there are a few design decision that would have made more sense in the long run.

-Squad Points (SP) could have been a better method of balancing characters & matches.
The balance of Health Points (HP), Energy Points (EP) and movement range works well so all body types start out equal SP. This base value can be adjusted up/down to bracket the number of characters in a match the same way they are now (you can squeeze 5 cheap characters into a 20 point match).
-Add in the base class of the character (Commando, Engineer, Agent, Medic). Each has their own primary ability (return fire & weapons selection, repair & disarm, cloak, healing). These should also be the same but could vary in value by a small amount, ~10-25% of base value.
-Add in a value for the special ability unique to each player. I won’t claim to know the value of each ability but this is where large distinctions can be made: ~20-100% of base value.
-Finally add in the weapon: higher Damage/EP weapons get higher SP values.
The total is the SP for the unit.

Balancing can be done by tweaking the class or special ability modifiers and cost to purchase is directly related to the SP value.

(Desparado) #71

Definitively something to think about, but I know for a fact the Devs are constantly looking over our feed back and considering possibilities. I’ve soon learned a lot of my ideas aren’t feasible for various reasons due to the head-fast direction the game is already planned on going. But nevertheless, keep 'em coming so they have something to ponder :smiley:

(Dr.Eggman) #72

bring rad soldiers to steam and add tf2 promo items and tf2 mercaneries in rad soldiers

(Jerry-Rigs) #73

ARG! I did something stupid and there is no undo!

I was about to deliver the last killing blow to a sniper with Gus. I could use 2 shots from his Cockler SMG or 1 shot from his squirt gun. I chose the squirt gun to end the match “with style”. Unfortunately, I forgot about the splash damage to my Kate right next to him (with 11HP left) until: Squirt sniper, skate sniper, splash Kate, realize mistake as Kate skates. Curse at own vanity as opponent gets “unearned” death bonus.

If stupid was painful there would be less stupid.

Can you undo the last killing blow to allow players to try for a more beneficial final outcome?

(Desparado) #74

Jerry, I think we’ve all been in a bad spot like you were. Although, I think many of us have learned the power of the Undo button. It’s a button you can use during your turn only.

So as you can imagine, it requires you to undo and redo and undo and redo until you find the best possible Turn BEFORE you submit your Turn. Eventually you’ll have an eye for what the best play might be without "Undo"ing to the start. Again, it has saved me many a match from making that one fatal move. This applies to PvP matches as well as Challenges.

Hope you learned something new!

(Jerry-Rigs) #75

Thank you Desparado. I am quite familiar with the UNDO button. I use it frequently to try various moves before committing to one.

However, when you shoot and kill the last opponent (last killing blow), the game puts up the “Victory Elimination” banner very quickly. The UNDO button is only available for a short time (at least in challenge games, I don’t know if it available at all in online games) meaning you have to be quick to catch it.

(Desparado) #76

Ooh I understand now. The squirt caused splash dmg on the finishing blow, causing more than one death.

(g00n) #77

I’m not sure how random is done, but when you send a friend a random map, can it say random till the second player chooses his team.

(bobotnaman) #78

i’ll just post it here cause i don’t want to make a new thread, and this has been probably suggested before.

• how about giving us choices with commander on what type he gets to be? like light, medium, or heavy.
  • how about making all weapons available to every type except they get penalties for using weapons that don’t match. (ex. Dave using shotgun / sniper rifle makes him cost more per energy or Dacova using the Fryer cost him 7 energy instead of 5.)

(g00n) #79

Wondered where this topic went, it should be a sticky and kept at top.

• how about giving us choices with commander on what type he gets to be? like light, medium, or heavy.
  • how about making all weapons available to every type except they get penalties for using weapons that don’t match. (ex. Dave using shotgun / sniper rifle makes him cost more per energy or Dacova using the Fryer cost him 7 energy instead of 5.)

interesting idea on captain, but not sure how it would go with the two choices when setting up your toon at beginning. Right now I rather see more choice in weaponary and it is fine as a medium.

Doing this for toons would pretty much eliminate all categories and complicate energy/skill points if you have different costs. KISS.

• Can we have a chance to send message before game is won/lost?
• Like to see Aywuga six gun cost 4 skill but energy is upto 4 cost to shoot it, it will fit better with the audomatic and smg’s

(bobotnaman) #80

how about adding a last known position indicator for those guys who go invisible? i have too many games running and sometimes when they take to long to take their turns, you’d forget where his snipers last position is.