New Brink Updates Released for Xbox 360, PS3, and PC

(aviynw) #41

Well “reduced spread by 15%” doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll be getting 15% more hits. It’s impossible to know exactly what they meant by it. But even if they did mean that, you wouldn’t need a %15 reduction in damage to keep it the way it was before. You would need more like a %13 reduction in damage. Think about it. If you get an %100 increase increase in the number of bullets that hit, you don’t need an %100 reduction in damage to match it, you only need a %50 reduction. IF they did mean %15 more bullets will hit your target the relevant value is not the percentage of the increase, but the ratio of the increase over the original value. For example, lets say say 100 bullets hit your target in the old system, and with an %100 increase in accuracy 200 bullets hit your target in the new system. The ratio of the increase is 200/100. For the overall effect to stay the same, bullet damage will have to be multiplied by the inverse of that ratio, 100/200. Likewise if accuracy was increased by %15, now 115 bullets will hit your target, the ratio of the increase is 115/100, and the inverse of that is 100/115 which is about 87%. In other words a %13 reduction in damage is needed for the effect to stay the same.

I hope that made sense. With the lack of more detailed information on the tweaks the best way to compare “gun effectiveness” is really to just play the game.

(Om3ga) #42

Awsome! :smiley:

(Codine) #43

My game still crashes due to poor ati support, sorry SD but I’m not putting my old nvidia card in just for this patch.

(zenstar) #44

Still? After all the tweaking and patching for Rage OpenGL’s still buggy?
SD: are there tweaks you need to do on your side to get it more compatible?

(dazman76) #45

[QUOTE=zenstar;385436]Still? After all the tweaking and patching for Rage OpenGL’s still buggy?
SD: are there tweaks you need to do on your side to get it more compatible?[/QUOTE]

As I understand it, graphics driver tweaks are often (amazingly) game-specific rather than generic. The current drivers for both ATI and NV, apparently contain what you might call “micro patches” that only affect operations in certain conditions, i.e. when a given executable is running.

This is however just my understanding of it - which could be utterly flawed :slight_smile: heh

(zenstar) #46

[QUOTE=dazman76;385439]As I understand it, graphics driver tweaks are often (amazingly) game-specific rather than generic. The current drivers for both ATI and NV, apparently contain what you might call “micro patches” that only affect operations in certain conditions, i.e. when a given executable is running.

This is however just my understanding of it - which could be utterly flawed :slight_smile: heh[/QUOTE]

Ah yes. Becuase developing a standard with known inputs and outputs in any environment is way too tricky to maintain so they should just hack it until something else comes along and breaks it -_-
This is why we can’t have nice (looking) things.

(mclarenpingu) #47

[QUOTE=Dormamu;385287]Finally :smiley:
GJ SD[/QUOTE]

Good job, SD, this patch is good, I have tried.
but I feel if you can reduce the spread more, this game will be better, and more hardcore player will come back
remember!! your fans are hardcore FPS player, not COD like player.
make your game more like Quake is more better.

anyway thanks for your patch, I pre-order Brink before it launched, now I feel my money is worth after this patch.
but there are lot lot of things need to improve.

first mission, make this game more like hardcore/old school FPS game.
run faster and spread less

(RT1) #48

Uh, no thanks.

(dazman76) #49

[QUOTE=zenstar;385449]Ah yes. Becuase developing a standard with known inputs and outputs in any environment is way too tricky to maintain so they should just hack it until something else comes along and breaks it -_-
This is why we can’t have nice (looking) things.[/QUOTE]

Indeed - it’s the complete reverse of how I imagined a good driver to be :slight_smile: I think they basically hope that, by the time they eventually break an old game beyond playability, everyone has stopped playing it :slight_smile: Can you imagine maintaining such a mess? I currently maintain a very, very old code base for a UNIX business system - I hate it :slight_smile: If the drivers are at all like I’ve described, then they’re also similar to the code base here. It’s so shaky, crumbly and hurting from the constant “bodge jobs” applied to it over 10+ years, I don’t even like opening files just to view the source code :slight_smile: heh

I think both major players have drivers that behave like this - but it seems NV are the only ones capable of “holding it together” and actually getting reliable results out of the end. ATI seem hopelessly inept at writing drivers for their own hardware - but until people stop handing over money because they just read “ZOMG fastest GPU evar!” reviews, they’ll no doubt continue on their current path. I really don’t care if my card doesn’t win the latest benchmark test - what it does, it does very well indeed - with every version of driver I throw at it. If I won the latest ATI card in a competition, I’d sell it immediately and buy the equivalent NV card :slight_smile: heh

(zenstar) #50

anyway thanks for your patch, I pre-order Brink before it launched, now I feel my money is worth after this patch.
but there are lot lot of things need to improve.

Don’t hold your breath. Bethesda holds the purse strings and if the game isn’t generating phat cash there will be no further funding. And at teh moment I don’t think the game is generating much money at all.

EDIT:

[QUOTE=dazman76;385467]Indeed - it’s the complete reverse of how I imagined a good driver to be :slight_smile: I think they basically hope that, by the time they eventually break an old game beyond playability, everyone has stopped playing it :slight_smile: Can you imagine maintaining such a mess? I currently maintain a very, very old code base for a UNIX business system - I hate it :slight_smile: If the drivers are at all like I’ve described, then they’re also similar to the code base here. It’s so shaky, crumbly and hurting from the constant “bodge jobs” applied to it over 10+ years, I don’t even like opening files just to view the source code :slight_smile: heh

I think both major players have drivers that behave like this - but it seems NV are the only ones capable of “holding it together” and actually getting reliable results out of the end. ATI seem hopelessly inept at writing drivers for their own hardware - but until people stop handing over money because they just read “ZOMG fastest GPU evar!” reviews, they’ll no doubt continue on their current path. I really don’t care if my card doesn’t win the latest benchmark test - what it does, it does very well indeed - with every version of driver I throw at it. If I won the latest ATI card in a competition, I’d sell it immediately and buy the equivalent NV card :slight_smile: heh[/QUOTE]
I know exactly how you feel. I just moved off a project that had DOS standard naming conventions in the database :frowning:
And straight onto a project that was written by 2… inept “developers” that is extremely in-extensible. And now I have to add new functionality to it :stuck_out_tongue:
I’ve always liked, and stuck to, Nvidia. They’ve always been the most stable (ok ok… I owned an S3 Virge once) and I just don’t like AMD.

(Loffy) #51

\o/

Awesome. Good job SD!

\o/

(A_Tosa_Inu) #52

What does these things do?

Changes
■Removed cheat protection from the incap command
■Removed cheat protection from the following variables
■r_skipHaloRendering
■g_interactionUpdate (defaults to 200ms)
■g_interactionForecolor
■g_interactionBackcolor
■g_interactionSelectedBack
■g_interactionSelectedFore

(2Easy) #53

Finally we are getting a patch with demo support… only thing we need now is 1st person spectator mode and then host a tournament and you will see clans coming back to this game

greetings epsilon

(2Easy) #54

oops 2ndpost.

(Codine) #55

[QUOTE=zenstar;385436]Still? After all the tweaking and patching for Rage OpenGL’s still buggy?
SD: are there tweaks you need to do on your side to get it more compatible?[/QUOTE]

RAGE works fine for whatever reason, Brink however likes to just crash whenever it attempts to load a map.

(INF3RN0) #56

[QUOTE=2Easy;385472]Finally we are getting a patch with demo support… only thing we need now is 1st person spectator mode and then host a tournament and you will see clans coming back to this game

greetings epsilon[/QUOTE]

You obviously just want money… lol.

Side note: Has anyone I might know/trust actually tested the patch? I don’t really trust the positive feedback of people who already praised the game from release or are BHC, and I’d rather hear something from someone who was as “picky” as me (if there’s anyone who actually reinstalled that is).

(tangoliber) #57

I’m not feeling the patch for some reason. I don’t know what is up, but it just feels like a faster game now in terms of kills and deaths. Trying to adapt…

(NthLegion) #58

+1. I just don’t get it. Oh well, I had enough fun to make me buy Brink 2, and I suppose that’s what matters.

(tangoliber) #59

I looked up the new spread standing, crouching, and ADS spread values and added them to Mustang’s old excel document.

Walking spread values are more important, but I don’t know how to get those because they scroll up to fast. Is there a way to make the console show while I am still controlling the character?

Of course, starting spread values don’t tell the whole story. Spread rate makes a big difference.

The numbers are definitely an improvement. I feel like maybe the damage reduction wasn’t enough though. 5 percent looked good on paper, but it doesn’t feel like enough in game. The kills/deaths seem significantly faster now.

Also, I still miss the old Gerund and Rhett from release. The Rhett did get its standing spread back to the release level, but the max spread is different (and possibly the spread rate as well.) The Gerund is still not as accurate as it was on release in standing or crouching. And I still think that the FRKN could have its original spread characteristics as well as the faster firing rate from the first update, and not be overpowered.

(Apoc) #60

[QUOTE=INF3RN0;385500]
Side note: Has anyone I might know/trust actually tested the patch? I don’t really trust the positive feedback of people who already praised the game from release or are BHC, and I’d rather hear something from someone who was as “picky” as me (if there’s anyone who actually reinstalled that is).[/QUOTE]

I dont know if my opinion falls into that category, but i played it for about 30 mins. Seems that bullets hit where you point a lot more, although brink has retained its original feel and doesnt feel like it has transformed in any way. However it does feel slightly more responsive to aim, In the small time i played i pretty much raped an entire team by my self, i guess this shows aim is becoming a factor, as i mowed down 9 people in the space of 10 seconds with 2 clips. However it doesnt change the fact that i was on 1 of 2 populated servers and pretty much everyone i was against had the combined skill of a 1 week ETQW newbie.

I dont really think the changes matter at all if brink doesnt do something to regain a player base. You can make a game perfect but it wont matter if no one plays it.