MEGA On The Brink Guide (Playability, tricks, tips)

(dommafia) #41

I’m still having the skip loading screen videos working for me perfectly, I dont know what to tell you :frowning:

I load straight into the map without having to press or click anything.

[QUOTE=stealth6;322889]Here’s an interesting tip

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27396[/QUOTE]

added :slight_smile:

(slengteng) #42

This thread ought to be stickied imo.

(Mr E Unknown) #43

Maybe there’s some other cvar affecting the behaviour here? Something else “seemingly unrelated” that’s been tweaked?

(dommafia) #44

I’ve been testing further and it seems the FIRST time you join a server wont be skipped but every map load afterwards will. Can anyone test and report back?

(SkillerBehindYou) #45

What is the cvar for capping my fps?

(light_sh4v0r) #46

There isn’t any unless you use Vsync which will cap it to 60.

Thanks Dommafia btw, good collection :slight_smile:

(AnthonyDa) #47

There is none excepted VSync. So get a 120Hz LCD :rolleyes:

(SkillerBehindYou) #48

seriously? I dont want my gfx card to render 300 fps when Im playing around with customization, abilities or weapons, thats just unneccessary workload, which results in my gfx fan going crazy…

(AnthonyDa) #49

Welcome to BRINK!

(dommafia) #50

Ignore anthony, he’s turned into a troll and will never say anything positive about brink yet he’ll stay on the forums…

About your issue if you turn on vsync (and make sure to have tripple buffering on in your video card settings) then you’ll cap the game @ 60fps.

(SkillerBehindYou) #51

[QUOTE=dommafia;328782]Ignore anthony, he’s turned into a troll and will never say anything positive about brink yet he’ll stay on the forums…

About your issue if you turn on vsync (and make sure to have tripple buffering on in your video card settings) then you’ll cap the game @ 60fps.[/QUOTE]

Well if there really isnt something like “com_maxfps”, I´d like to be able to toggle VSync via a button, to enable it when Im going to spend a few minutes in the menu. Can you guys help me with that? whats the command for enabling/disabling Vsync?

My Idea:

// Vsync Toggle

set vsyncon “bind BUTTON $vsyncoff; set VSYNCCOMMAND 1”
set vsyncoff “bind BUTTON $vsyncon; set VSYNCCOMMAND 0”

bind BUTTON $vsyncon

Would that work? Or would it require the use of “acceptVidMode” or something like that to execute the change?

//
Something different: Is it possible to modifiy the crosshair in any way? Can you make it static, so that it wont open up to represent your accuracy?
Why wont “gui_crosshairAlpha” & “gui_crosshairColor” work?

(Seze) #52

Now it works for me, as well. I wonder why, since I didn’t change anything on my configs since then. :tongue:
It hops right into the game, as intended.

(AnthonyDa) #53

[quote=SkillerBehindYou;328994]
My Idea:

// Vsync Toggle

set vsyncon “bind BUTTON $vsyncoff; set VSYNCCOMMAND 1”
set vsyncoff “bind BUTTON $vsyncon; set VSYNCCOMMAND 0”

bind BUTTON $vsyncon

Would that work? Or would it require the use of “acceptVidMode” or something like that to execute the change?

//[/quote]
Use a togglebind instead. (if it’s working with such a cvar).

(Smokeskin) #54

There is a command that fixes the corrupt text: clearGlyphCache

I have added this to my .cfg:

bind kp_minus “clearGlyphCache”

So I just hit that to fix it when it happens. I and others have confirmed it works.

I was thinking maybe it could be bound to some other key I use so it had two functions, like spacebar or tab, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.

(dommafia) #55

+1 for sticky :wink:

[QUOTE=Smokeskin;329519]There is a command that fixes the corrupt text: clearGlyphCache

I have added this to my .cfg:

bind kp_minus “clearGlyphCache”

So I just hit that to fix it when it happens. I and others have confirmed it works.

I was thinking maybe it could be bound to some other key I use so it had two functions, like spacebar or tab, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.[/QUOTE]

Adding this, much thanks!

(BandwidthBandit) #56

[QUOTE=Smokeskin;329519]There is a command that fixes the corrupt text: clearGlyphCache

I was thinking maybe it could be bound to some other key I use so it had two functions, like spacebar or tab, but I couldn’t figure out how to do it.[/QUOTE]

I assume key modifiers still work (based on etqw configs), so you could use

bind kp_minus “clearGlyphCache” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”

This would require the RIGHT hand SHIFT key to be pressed when pressing kp_minus, which is not tremendously useful, BUT if you add it to a key you have already bound in a more convenient location like say SPACEBAR or TAB you can use that key as normal but then press RIGHT SHIFT whilst still holding it to clear the cache at will.

Some examples of what I use are below, I take a commonly used key and give them an “alternate fire” if you will…

bind “F1” “toggle com_showfps 0 1” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”
bind “F2” “toggle net_clientLagOMeter 0 1” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”

Hope this is useful.

MOOKA!

(Herandar) #57

You’re welcome. It’s good work.

(Smokeskin) #58

[QUOTE=Bandwidth_Bandito;329894]I assume key modifiers still work (based on etqw configs), so you could use

bind kp_minus “clearGlyphCache” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”

This would require the RIGHT hand SHIFT key to be pressed when pressing kp_minus, which is not tremendously useful, BUT if you add it to a key you have already bound in a more convenient location like say SPACEBAR or TAB you can use that key as normal but then press RIGHT SHIFT whilst still holding it to clear the cache at will.

Some examples of what I use are below, I take a commonly used key and give them an “alternate fire” if you will…

bind “F1” “toggle com_showfps 0 1” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”
bind “F2” “toggle net_clientLagOMeter 0 1” “RIGHTSHIFT” “default”

Hope this is useful.

MOOKA![/QUOTE]

What I wanted was to both jump and clear cache on spacebar, so everytime I jumped it would fix it and I’d never have to think about it.

(dommafia) #59

updated

*added an abilities video guide by the Thebratterz
*added link to 2 EXCELLENT parkour vids:

(Swolenator) #60

good collection of stuff you have going here keep it up.