Glory of the Weak - Work in Progress

(Runeforce) #241

Donnovan is not a member of TAW! (Unfortunately, TAW policy prevents him, as he can not attend mandatory practices.) But he is making this map together with M0nsta (who is a member of TAW, he who provided the inspiration, and a graphical wizard!) M0nsta nor Donnovan had anything to do with Goldrush or Oasis. (Numerobis did the amazing work on those maps. Encourage him to finish it, instead of bashing!)

TAW does not have a say over Donnovan (or any other map-maker,) but we do encourage their work!

(And my personal opinion is that the works should be as open and “free/libre” as possible! This of course means the source should always be included! If in doubt, use the CC-3.0-BY-SA license, in your works!)

@Chris: Nice Yoda impersonation though :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #242

We already knew all of that and I’ve had very long chats with Don about this map and his other work.

So glad wasn’t drinking whilst reading that last bit though.

(Runeforce) #243

I understand that. But FYI TAW ETQW Batallion has changed quite a bit since what-ever you experienced back then. (Read: we changed from the everything-is-done-by-the-book batallion to the omfg-they-gone-rogue batallion. And the TAW ETQW batallion is all about supporting ETWQ!)

(SebaSOFT) #244

monsta it’s a compliment indeed, but I’m just talking of the visual style, keep up doind the good stuff

(taw_m0nsta) #245

Thanks SebaSOFT. I hope to tell soon more about the map and its objectives.
Here is another peek of where its going, more gray, stronger contrast in color.

(.Chris.) #246

Is the player prone or crouched?

(taw_m0nsta) #247

Donnovan made this screenshot, i think its been cut out, and the player is just standing (in a gab).

(Donnovan) #248

The player is in a alcove.

Monsta, this shot is old now, since i “made things better” now. Will send you test003.

(Donnovan) #249

(peopla, dont tell anyone i posted this here, or i will get fired!)

Changes acordling to Bossa requests.

Please do not share, look and delete. Thankyou.

Edit: you can find file in IE temporary folders. Post HD format is requested for maximum carnage.

(Donnovan) #250

Reda .VS. Blau! The Team bit* atom is back!

0 - Reda
1 - Blau

(Donnovan) #251

Some patch tests i would like to share with you guys:

(Donnovan) #252

Chris,

Why patches arent really good for helical structures? Seens it worked really nice.

I exported the stair to obj (before read your lines on IRC) and the shadows on the railing became weird. So i leaved it as patches.

(.Chris.) #253

It doesn’t look good though, you can see it doesn’t look smooth all the way around, would take forever to get it how it should.

(Violator) #254

I’d suggest:

1. Blender (assuming the shadow problems get sorted) or
  2. Add some metal bars / pillars to help hide the joins (try and make it more round but as Chris says takes forever to make it perfectly round).

(taw_m0nsta) #255

Well we decided to remove the stairs, its blocking the whole open area, so we maybe can use it somewhere else if the building is going to have multiple levels, but for now we have set all the focus for first level.

(Donnovan) #256

Thankyou guys, “stairway to heaven” was just a patch test, as i posted on the original show post.

We are more thinking in a “stairway to hell” to say true JEJE!

Chris, Violator, when i got no-round junctions on patch works i do this:

• Export the patches to OBJ.
  • Open it in Blender.
  • Remove Double Vertex (this will make the different patch pieces to join in one unique piece).
  • Use a model_static/func_static to bring it inside SDK.

This remove all no-round junctions. But, about the stairs model problem, i believe it can be solved if i do not remove double vertex shared by the floor of the stair and the two, right and left, “vertical small walls”.

(Donnovan) #257

Well, the possible fix for the stair model not fixed it!

Still having specular problem (sorry, it was never shadow, but specular problem). Like you can see below:

(Donnovan) #258

I’m not sure, but i believe this rock texture does not have specular. This the reason it does not have the problem:

(light_sh4v0r) #259

I like those darker lines on the metal slab :slight_smile:

(taw_m0nsta) #260

Stop playing and spending pointless time on the stairs Donnovan! There is a lot of work that has to be done, so we can get asap our custom servers! Oh wait a minute… we don’t have a custom server :frowning:

edit:

All with all, i like the smooth corners of the stairs :smiley: