DECEMBER 1ST HOTFIX CHANGES

(moonlitAbility) #41

[quote=“Kay-Dubz;118351”]Ok, so I had an extended playthrough tonight. Thunder’s ability is just bad now.

When the enemy flashed my from a distance, I was flashed for maybe 1 second, and if I turned my back, it was maybe a bit less than that.[/quote]

sigh. skyhammer or arty strikes can obscure your vision/line of sight for that long… and htey can kill a bunch of people too. they should have fixed the bugs before fucking too much with the radius/duration

(SnakekillerX) #42

They should make so your mouse control is inverted when concussed… (lol not really though)

In seriousness, the ability does make it difficult to tell who is concussed when you enter a room, yes people put their arms up in the air in front of their eyes, but it can also look like they are about to throw something so it can be a bit confusing.

Perhaps it should turn the enemy player’s colour from red to something else, like purple? The colour would then dissipate back to red as the effect is wearing off.

(KayDubz) #43

[quote=“moonlitAbility;118555”]i posted this and it got closed, so reposting:::

So i believed changes were needed… but i was playing with thunder last night (and against some)… and using cards with explodahydron.

it seems like without the sensitivity lowering, the concussion effect does nothing. i was able to still see and aim easily despite everything looking like im on mushrooms.

the first few days i could throw in a concussion to breach, and then when i entered see that people were struggling to see/ jumping into walls, etc… now it seems by the time i move my fat as into the room i just concussed 3 people are shooting right at me like nothing happened

anyone else feel like they overnerfed the nades? they feel useless now[/quote]

Agree. The problem is a few things:

1. Without cooking, people can avoid the full effects of flash nades now.
  2. Theres no movement limiter when youre concussed now. This makes it easy to retreat.
  3. The minimap and crosshairs are still visible. Making orientation and movement even easier.

Combine all this, and I can take a full concussion blast and still run away easily by checking my minimap.

Plus Thunder is a tanky class. He should be able to use his ability to take on an enemy or two and come out victorious. As it stands he has a low chance killing two mercs, and a slightly higher chance killing of even one after throwing a flash bang.

Rhino’s huge health and minigun make gunning down two people in a choke point easy (especially with a health station). Nader can fire off 5 nades on a choke point and kill 2 people easily, especially if she finishes them off with a gun. Fragger of course can frag multiple people easily. And what can Thunder do? He can “concuss” people, and have them either run away easily or kill him as soon as he goes in to clear a room.

(KayDubz) #44

??? Ummm…Someone just said this nerf was the worse decision ever made. huh?

Let’s not exaggerate guys. Its not that big of a deal. Thunder hasn’t had as big of an effect on the game as other new mercs or ability changes have had.

The devs work hard, let us play for free, and have been very communicative about changes. They always consider what the community thinks, and they do their best to find the best balance for mercs in the game.

So lets be easy with the exaggerations and hyperbole.

@MissMurder , thanks for the hard work. (this goes for all the staff as well.)

(SpinnerzNQ) #45

And now I have no reason to play Thunder. I had almost zero problems with him before, and the reason I played was because I loved the concunades. Now I don’t have any reason to not rather play Fragger.
Ah well, I’m sure I won’t even notice it after playing him for a while. And as long as others are happy, I’m happy :slight_smile:
EDIT: just realized Thunder is just gonna be an even more useless version of Redeye (who I love) now. thanks Splash Damage

(Silo) #46

Very nice hotfix, thank you Splash Damage!

Here are the results of the last hotfix:

(Silo) #47

I´m a bit concerned though. Lately my fps seems to be dropping with every patch.
Am I the only one that has this problem?

Got a new video card two patches ago and don´t really want to go back to potato mode :frowning:

(N8o) #48

Saw nothing about the spawn-shield stunning.

It’s a good day.

(titaniumCrouton) #49

[quote=“Silo;118739”]Very nice hotfix, thank you Splash Damage!

Here are the results of the last hotfix:

Beautiful.

@Missmurder Yall messed up with this hotfix. I expect another “Hotfix” next week to reverse a lot of these changes. :confused: The cooking thing was bad enough but the turn DPI being removed? You officially killed all viability of this skill in game…and this is coming from one of the most adamant Thunder defenders on these forums.

This is almost, ALMOST on the level of Phantom knee-jerk nerfs. Please, fix this as fast as you broke it because this is just a damned joke.

(bontsa) #50

I saw a SD developer post in Warchest forum stating that cooking removal was something thought through and they might not be looking into changing it back.

[QUOTE=Smooth;542215]It’s mostly to make them a little simpler to use and behave a little more consistently.

Since they can impact team-mates over a very large radius this should also help reduce the annoyance of poorly-timed throws from friendly Thunder’s.

Pop-flashes will still be possible, they just require smarter throws, rather than simple cook-timing. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Smooth;542215]I’ll be looking very closely at the balance that results from this hotfix.

I’m more likely to adjust the fuse and increase the impact of the flash or stun as an improvement if needed. A fixed fuse time allows for the impact to be more powerful as it usually gives victims a chance to react.[/QUOTE]

Thread then goes on in addressing other issues related to this decision: map’s walls are currently pretty wonky here and there, so it’s tough as satan’s pillow to properly bounce the flashes off surfaces to create “pop” flashes. And the fact that flashes dont even bounce properly at the current implementation. But overall conceus seems to be more competitive peeps seem to be fine with this kind of approach, as long as issues above are looked into and the fuse time will get some tinkering.

I think too this seems ok approach, sure I love the cooking because it’s something different from for example CS, but I also see it does have huge impact on higher level plays. However again, I think simpliest counterplay against cooking would be making the nade characters shout a voiceline when they pull the pin, hence creating audiocue for more aware players that there is nade being cooked nearby and they should dig a trench or gtfo.

(Silo) #51

Here is a summarization, that someone else made after testing out Thunder after the hotfix.

http://postimg.org/image/o1dmnoff9

(bontsa) #52

[quote=“Silo;118875”]Here is a summarization, that someone else made after testing out Thunder after the hotfix.

http://postimg.org/image/o1dmnoff9[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this, and bigger thanks to whoever took their sweet time to create such data!

I feel this summary needs much more larger publicity for developers to do their own testing work and act accordingly! Summoning @MissMurder @stayfreshshoe even though I think their inbox is just about bursting of these being uselessly spammed elsewhere. Not to higher this cause though, I could be spamming them uselessly now too just like that :smiley:

(Robtastic) #53

Yes, just share that. The devs should see that/test it by themselves.

(moonlitAbility) #54

i think that the range pre-patch may have been extreme… but i dont think it needs reduced effect the farther away u go… you are either close enough to be blinded or arent.

as it stands it seems like unless you are right on it, even if you get ‘blinded’, when it only lasts 1-2 seconds its literally worthless. they are fine before u or your team can do anything. its barely an annoyance, let alone game affecting

so at that point, if you need to basically direct hit with it why not just use fragger? his nades SHOULD affect a larger area IMO since they don’t do damage! and people can still fire or spam nades blind

(KayDubz) #55

[quote=“Silo;118875”]Here is a summarization, that someone else made after testing out Thunder after the hotfix.

Perfect explanation! Devs should see that.

(Chris Mullins) #56

Thanks for that summary ^^ I’ve grabbed it and passed it on :slight_smile:

(bontsa) #57

Awesome, I like this new style of your devs, gotta credit both SplashDamage and Nexon on this one, to “disembark” amongst us players and actually answer if there is well-constructed criticsm and analyze done :slight_smile: Please just don’t knee-jerk to “errmahhgewd diz iz OPzzzz” anymore, this feels so much like re-act of Phantom mess. Nontheless, great that you’re looking into this stuff! I at least have faith and will continue to test Thunder no matter how underwhelming he feels :>

(N8o) #58

Wow, really impressed that user feed back is actually being taken into consideration.
My faith is going up a little bit more.

(Lumi) #59

This is just right on the money. Whatever they were going for with thunder and what problems it currently has are all explained there.

(SnakekillerX) #60

Might be interesting to give Thunder some sort of eye protection so he can withstand his own flash radius and not be effected. (only the blinding part of the nade, not the rest) That would make the grenade a bit more useful as you’d already be in view of the enemies and aiming at them when it goes off.