Brinstar [Alpha 1]

(.Chris.) #1

UPDATE: New version

Brinstar [Alpha 2]

Background

GDF are planning to attack the last and biggest of the off-shore stroyent facilities discovered from intel captured during the liberation campaign in the UK. Fresh intel however has also indicated that the strogg have one of their ‘Mother Brains’ located at the same facility which are responsible for devising tactics for the invasion force as the war rages on. The GDF now aim to kill two birds with one stone by elimating the last source of Stroyent in Europe and crippling the strogg invasion strategy with one single strike.

Objectives

*Deploy the MCP on the Island

*Hack the Shield Generator

*Overload the reactor with the energy cell

*Destroy Mother Brain

Screenshots

More in this directory, http://www.battle-of-wolken.co.uk/images/etqw/brinstar/ (webpage coming soon)

Download

Battle of Wolken.co.uk

UPDATED to Alpha 2a

Credits & Notes

Audi100 for the torso model, previously used on Maridia map.
Shirosae for vampire texture tidy up.
Some brushwork taken from SD’s map references.

This map hasn’t been play tested yet, I can assure you it wont be too balanced yet, I need your input on vehicles available, spawn times, map layout and so on, I’m not happy with the energy cell and reactor positioning, I was thinking of adding a 2nd energy cell, radar style, in the north east corner.

The last stage is now in with some alterations to existing stages.

There will be bugs in this map, if you find any dont panic, just post them here and I’ll get around to fixing them.

Also if anyone has any ideas on how I can get the MCP and shield generator to spawn properly in the map instantly without the _caller entities I’d appreciate your input, I’ve not had any luck as of yet.

(Ashog) #2

First!

Go Chris! Go Chris!

This is gonna be a helluva fun this weekend on Nirvana :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #3

WARNING: Don’t go near shield generator until after the first SSM has fired, otherwise it will ‘crush’ you!

Probably a side effect of having it deployed before the MCP.

(Scrupus) #4

Nice one! :smiley:

Playtest tomorrow!

(timestart) #5

Suggestion: deploy spots on command map, since they don’t show up on non-megatexture surfaces.

(Dthy) #6

titan can hold last obj easily if it gets there quick enough. Perhaps put a slightly long spawn time on titan, or move if further back if possible

(.Chris.) #7

(Ashog) #8

noticed:

• water around initial gdf ship isnt water (is walkable)
  • gdf can get faster to mcp than strogg: almost impossible to defend. I’d move strogg spawn to mcp island, and give an optional base spawn at tormentors as now. gief also 1 more deploy spot on island (if i remember correctly theres only one)
  • i would add one platypus spawning at the capturable spawn after mcp objective, in order to allow to go back to mcp island to deploy something
  • think about making all gates / doors wider, allowing crazy vehicle paths 4 pfun
  • tank on 3rd obj is a problem. strogg get spammed by enemy sniper fire, artillery and rocketsnoobs from 2nd obj tower, plus this tank. The problem is theres no path for strogg inside spawn towards tormentor, neither is the tormentor spawn available as option.
  • the purpose of shields and platypuses is escaping me - what are they for?
  • more deploy spots for both teams

Great map, really. Cant wait for last objective to be added.

(.Chris.) #9

Update released, grab it from Battle of Wolken.co.uk UPDATED to Alpha 2a

Delete any older versions, this includes any private test versions of the same name.

Brief Change List:

Last stage added.
Cell/Reactor stage orientation amended.
Additional spawn shield for 2nd strogg spawn.
Icaruses added at 2nd strogg spawn.
GDF fliers and titan spawn/respawn times amended.
Deploy spots added to Cell/Reactor stage.
Platypuses added to capturable spawn.
Deploy spot areas drawn on command map.

(f34n0r) #10

Got a crash when I tried loading this single player in Pro. I was using the setrules…onbjective and spawnserver commands properly. Dunno what the crash is about. Something along the lines of “brinstar_breakable…”

http://bravehardt.com/TAW/Quake_Wars/Feanor/brinstar.txt

(.Chris.) #11

Can you run it in vanilla?

EDIT:

Quick fix for missing icarus and clipping issues, delete all older versions as always:

http://www.battle-of-wolken.co.uk/temp/z_brinstar_a2a.pk4

(f34n0r) #12

Another error in vanilla.

http://bravehardt.com/TAW/Quake_Wars/BRINSTAR2.txt

(timestart) #13

[QUOTE=TAW|Feanor;254135]Another error in vanilla.

http://bravehardt.com/TAW/Quake_Wars/BRINSTAR2.txt[/QUOTE]

C:\Users\KD\AppData\Local\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\zz_skytestv03_fixscript.pk4 (3 files)
C:\Users\KD\AppData\Local\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\zz_freespirit_b3_mega2.pk4 (6 files)
C:\Users\KD\AppData\Local\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\zmap_arcis_a2_pro.pk4 (7 files)
C:\Users\KD\AppData\Local\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\z_radar_b2_mega2.pk4 (5 files)
C:\Users\KD\AppData\Local\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars\base\z_brinstar_a2.pk4 (234 files)

Remove zmap_arcis_a2_pro.pk4, its map.script is shadowing the one from brinstar since it’s loaded after (it has no addon.conf so is loaded all the time). The others should be harmless since they don’t have any files overlapping.

(f34n0r) #14

Timestart, that worked. Thanks!

Wow, awesome map. This looks like it could be the best one yet. You may get a lot of infantry-only people telling you to remove the vehicles but please, keep them, there aren’t a whole lot of custom maps that use vehicles compared to the infantry-only ones. This one looks sweet…

Some notes:

-MCP stage:
need strogg spawning faster to it than GDF. maybe consider starting “land” way back at GDF aircraft carrier and possibly picture it having run aground and the MCP dropping in there, it would give you a little longer route.

-fliers:
love the vampyre. can’t wait to see how you refine it. It moves kind of awkward but the concept is golden. Would love to see twin-mounted GPMGs on its wing tips and a rechargeable vampyre payload (obviously not as damaging as the GDF air-strike).
The strogg need a 2nd tormentor to fight off 2 Bees, 2 anansis and the vampyre.

-vehicles:
love the hog ramps
like the desi spawns.
please consider adding fixed spawn points for the jupiter and abaddon from QWTA. we plan on playing this map primarily in QWTA and it would be awesome if you included spawn points for them.
consider adding a cyclops and GDF heavy armor.

-hack objective:
its very hard to approach on foot and a long way, so a lot of resets will happen that way. this will encourage GDF to all spawn back for bees and anansis and the vampyre. 2nd tormentor is needed more than ever here.

-energy cell:
while approaching pick-up point as GDF, there was a strogg base turret shooting me when I went near the pick up spot. must be too close?
transmit point is way too close. dunno about adding another cell.

-final objective:
hard to reach brain platform, have to trick-jump. consider lowing the platform or raising the others.
can’t plant on container without jumping over and over to arm. when I finally did get a plant on it, and it blew, nothing happened. Then I saw the health meter going down when I shot it so I shot it over and over with rocket but it wouldn’t die and map wouldn’t end.
love the service doors on the side. I take it those will be blowable by GDF for alternate routes?

So far I have just barely scratched the surface of this awesome map. The amount of detail is incredible. This is truly an awesome map.

(.Chris.) #15

The MCP stage is intended to be over very quickly, it’s a result of not been able to make a SSM entity that can fire from where ever I place it that is independent of the MCP, this would have been placed on a special boat that would fire at the base on the map start, triggering the hack objective.

The vampire was built by Murka, it’s up to him how he refines it, I just placed it in the map so people could have a chance to try it out, I’m not sure about keeping it in as a combat vehicle just yet.

Placing QWTA vehicle spawns in the map will break it for vanilla and pro servers as they don’t have the vehicles.

I’m considering removing the 2nd Anansi rather than add a 2nd Tormentor.

Yes the idea is to use the carrier as the main means of getting the the shield generator, as such I think I will make the forward spawn so that it does not auto switch and you have to select it if you wish to take the infantry route, I’ll be changing the infantry route slightly also in the next version, there will be 2 exits rather than one, an obvious over sight that should have been picked upon sooner.

The ‘base turrets’ are actually low rate of fire sentry bots on the roof near by that guard the energy cell, they are there to cause minor inconvenience, it’s very unlikely you would die by these when you approach with full health.

The reactor will be moving in the next version, I didn’t have enough time to alter the terrain and move the reactor to it’s new location.

Yes, the idea of the Brain objective is that you shoot it rather than blow it up, I remember in Tourian that very occasionally you couldn’t end the map there also, seems this is happening again, I’ll look into it, they use the same entity.

The Brain is protected by a glass jar first that has 5000 health and the Brain itself has 15000 health.

In future versions the Brain’s health will be lowered but will auto regen over time, requiring the GDF to hold the Brain room while they try and till the Brain.

Sadly as with Tourian I can’t show the Brain’s health progress on the HUD when played on modded servers as their gui files take priority over the maps.

The Red doors are the Strogg team doors for their spawn, blue doors are for everyone, I was hoping to make it so you could shoot the doors open before you got near them just like in Metroid but it doesn’t work in ET:QW, the comments in the entity menu say it doesn’t work for multiplayer to be exact.

(Ashog) #16

What about adding strogg-like indicators on the walls in (or outside) the brain room, showing brain health?

I still think that if the intended SSm thing doesnt work, you might as well use this as opportunity to stage a small combat around the MCP stage. Needs only a slight tuning - the battling on that island with lots of aircraft and dessies is in fact fun. I wish strogg could optionally spawn there and deploy at least 2 deploys on island.

(light_sh4v0r) #17

Oh new map, now I have to start ETQW again.

(Ashog) #18

wyf shavor, where are you! stop skipping Nirvanas or i will tbag u in yr dreams forevar! Also u are tbagged in my new vid that comes out soon.

(light_sh4v0r) #19

Just rewatched your vids, now I might have to show up. When are nirvanas these days?

(.Chris.) #20

Tuesdays at 2:30 pm…

Sundays???