Be More Objective, VIDEO Play-through (Level 20 Character) 2-star and 3-star.

(GreasedScotsman) #61

.FROST., yes your campaign difficulty does seem to impact the initial difficulty of the bots… however, they scale/get better as you play, and I think this is true for the challenges, too. If you pull down the console, you’ll see “Bumped up Resistance skill. Bumped down Security Skill.” messages very 30 secs or so.

The screenshot above is based off a Hard difficulty campaign.

(nephandys) #62

Caltrops is nasty against human players. Sometimes when defending an area I wrack up 500+ xp (do roughly 500 dmg) to players running through it unawares. If they don’t even do any damage they serve as a lingering area of denial. Also you can use them as an alarm system by finding a spot with 2 entrances, guarding one, and throwing caltrops at the other so when you see them go off you know to turn and defend. This is hands down one of my favorite skills in game.

GT: Nephaerius

(wolfnemesis75) #63

Caltrops is a must have. I have 3 characters with this ability.

(General Techniq) #64

Caltrops are definitely a must-have

(FireWorks) #65

Ok heres my first video ever! Its not beautiful, not highskilled, not perfectly commented, etc.
Just sitting there, starting Brink and fraps and play. Hope you like it anyways.

It shows the 2star in less then 4minutes and then some struggle on the 3star with a bit of fail inbetween :slight_smile:

Hope you can learn something and I can learn from you:)

http://www.vidup.de/v/BwTNR/

(wolfnemesis75) #66

[QUOTE=FireWorks;335101]Ok heres my first video ever! Its not beautiful, not highskilled, not perfectly commented, etc.
Just sitting there, starting Brink and fraps and play. Hope you like it anyways.

It shows the 2star in less then 4minutes and then some struggle on the 3star with a bit of fail inbetween :slight_smile:

http://www.vidup.de/v/BwTNR/[/QUOTE]

Very fun to watch.

(General Techniq) #67

[QUOTE=FireWorks;335101]Ok heres my first video ever! Its not beautiful, not highskilled, not perfectly commented, etc.

http://www.vidup.de/v/BwTNR/[/QUOTE]

Oh, wow… that recording of PC gameplay just leaves egg all over the faces of some of our fellow posters in this thread. We still love them, though. Great job!!

-I really liked the parkour route you took to get to the passcode as you took on enemy fire with a light body… on the PC. :smiley:
-Good job rushing that last objective (delivery).
-Good job at breaking that Level 20 bot’s line-of-sight long enough to get your hack up so high, even though it’s supposed to be impossible on the PC or something like that.
-Nice SMG with drum mag.
-You have a very German accent. Makes the commentary even more kick-ass! It really deserves it’s own thread. (Maybe, titled “Be More Objective, PC Level 20 Commentary” or something like that?)

Thanks for the upload, dude!

(wolfnemesis75) #68

[QUOTE=General Techniq;335149]Oh, wow… that recording of PC gameplay just leaves egg all over the faces of some of our fellow posters in this thread. We still love them, though. Great job!!

-I really liked the parkour route you took to get to the data key as you took on enemy fire with a light body… on the PC. :smiley:
-Good job rushing that last objective (delivery).
-Good job at breaking that Level 20 bot’s line-of-sight long enough to get your hack up so high, even though it’s supposed to be impossible on the PC or something like that.
-Nice SMG with drum mag.

Thanks for the upload, dude![/QUOTE]

I also use a light and will vary the route to the engy fix. His hack technique is what I did as well except I keep running around instead of just hanging in the command post bunker. If you notice, you can beat the AI before they can setup/get to their pre-determined spots. Like, once you do it enough times, you know such and such a bot will be on the top landing near the delivery post. Stuff like that. You are beating the game mechanics not an actual Thinking Mind.

In many games set to a Veteran or Ultrahard mode, your mindset has to be “Always Push Forward” rather than playing passive. Aggressive Push beats the A.I to its pre-determined paths.

(Super-Pangolin) #69

I CALL SHENANIGANS. I played 3* on PS3 just the other night for King Of The World, and there is no way it went out like that. Given, I didn’t have Caltrops or Turrets, and was using Gerund/Kross, but what else differed in my experiences were:

As pointed out earlier, friendly AI did not once venture above ground level. Not only that, but the enemy rarely ventured down to ground level, 90% of the match they just went up those stairs and rained bullets down on the friendly AI out in the open… I definitely didn’t notice any “white killed red” obituaries. I also noticed there were plenty of times when you were just spraying all over the show at the enemy, and they just took it for a bit as they acquisitioned to your position… in my case, they just snapped to my head and insta-killed me, even if I was maintaining steady fire in bursts, sometimes before I even saw them. it also seemed like if I was present, nobody else existed because I was usually barraged with fire from several of the enemies at once… which is fine for them because the friendly AI rarely shoots, let alone incapacitates. Even when I tried to take the Engineer objective sneakily from the second floor catwalks, I had Silent Footsteps but they would just spin around and nail me anyway from the first floor catwalks, and still have enough time to spin back around and lay waste to the friendly AI. I also noticed how quickly the Engi objective repaired, and I cried “bull****” because there is no way it was that quick.

I did learn a couple things though, that probably would have made 3* not take an hour like it did had I watched this video prior, and good job for getting this out! People can definitely learn from it. It just seems like because there’s apparently a difference in AI between PS3 and 360, I don’t find it hard to believe PC AI isn’t that easy either.

(GreasedScotsman) #70

Haha… I did not consider just rushing past 3 of them from CP after the plant to the repair objective and going up “their” staircase on the 2-star run. That saves like 4 minutes of clearing the upper level. Funny stuff.

I also rarely died in mine, I think… whereas the head down/full speed ahead seemed to work in a few too many cases. GGs, great video.

(.FROST.) #71

@FireWorks. Cooles Video, jetzt weis ich wenigstens, dass es machbar ist. Vielleicht können wir mal MP zocken.

Ok, great Vid. After watching it(01:00am) I also HAD to try it once(actually a couple times) again as a light body type and I achieved to plant the hackbox and a one or two percent hack, lol. But once they removed my hackbox, there was no way in hell to plant it again, since they crowded and fortified that area like crazy.

That was the moment when I could easily imagine how handy a caltrop would come, even though FireWorks didn’t needed them at all.

I tried it till 02:30am and had to get up to work at 07:00am. This challenge is starting to ruin my life. I may be a noob, but a stubborn one. My aim is not that good and I play with the keyboard on my lap. Sometimes I have a hard time finding the crouch-key. I should setup my peripherals in a more professional manner.

The speedboost as a light is very nice, and I think it even outweights the insufficient resistance. But just evading the enemy like FW did depends a little bit on your luck too. Nevertheless, awesome skills and great vid.

(General Techniq) #72

^Caltrops just might make the difference. Good luck!

(Fatfool) #73

[QUOTE=GreasedScotsman;334577]While I can’t record a video due to the 30 fps that would make this challenge impossible…
[/QUOTE]

FRAPS has had the option to record at 60 FPS (or to uncap the frame rate too) for some time now. No excuses there! :stroggbanana: Or do you mean the frame rate problems due to the game itself?

(GreasedScotsman) #74

I have a pretty outdated version of FRAPS… it works so I haven’t touched it considering I record Brink TV’s VODs and not having FRAPS working would be a pretty big problem. I’ll check out what’s new though.

(General Techniq) #75

[QUOTE=Super-Pangolin;335250]I CALL SHENANIGANS. I played 3* on PS3 just the other night for King Of The World, and there is no way it went out like that. Given, I didn’t have Caltrops or Turrets, and was using Gerund/Kross, but what else differed in my experiences were:

As pointed out earlier, friendly AI did not once venture above ground level. Not only that, but the enemy rarely ventured down to ground level, 90% of the match they just went up those stairs and rained bullets down on the friendly AI out in the open… I definitely didn’t notice any “white killed red” obituaries. I also noticed there were plenty of times when you were just spraying all over the show at the enemy, and they just took it for a bit as they acquisitioned to your position… in my case, they just snapped to my head and insta-killed me, even if I was maintaining steady fire in bursts, sometimes before I even saw them. it also seemed like if I was present, nobody else existed because I was usually barraged with fire from several of the enemies at once… which is fine for them because the friendly AI rarely shoots, let alone incapacitates. Even when I tried to take the Engineer objective sneakily from the second floor catwalks, I had Silent Footsteps but they would just spin around and nail me anyway from the first floor catwalks, and still have enough time to spin back around and lay waste to the friendly AI. I also noticed how quickly the Engi objective repaired, and I cried “bull****” because there is no way it was that quick.

I did learn a couple things though, that probably would have made 3* not take an hour like it did had I watched this video prior, and good job for getting this out! People can definitely learn from it. It just seems like because there’s apparently a difference in AI between PS3 and 360, I don’t find it hard to believe PC AI isn’t that easy either.[/QUOTE]

Might wanna watch the video a couple of more times. Try some of the “crap” I did out, then watch the video again…
Timing, morale, aggressiveness and awareness all have a lot to do with why I complete the 3* the way I do. Just thought I’d put up what I felt was a consistent means of being successful on this challenge. To each his own, though, I suppose.

(Super-Pangolin) #76

[QUOTE=General Techniq;336406]Might wanna watch the video a couple of more times. Try some of the “crap” I did out, then watch the video again…
Timing, morale, aggressiveness and awareness all have a lot to do with why I complete the 3* the way I do. Just thought I’d put up what I felt was a consistent means of being successful on this challenge. To each his own, though, I suppose.[/QUOTE]
Not an attack on you, I called shenanigans on SD’s part since AI seemed to behave noticeably different in my experiences on PS3.

Timing is a hard one to get. I kept my morale up because that was the only way to stop myself going insane. If I was overly-aggressive in the same way you were, I got greeted by a wall of bullets to the face from 3 directions at once. Tried to keep my awareness up, but bots are always a step ahead of you since they have spidey senses…:tongue:

(General Techniq) #77

[QUOTE=Super-Pangolin;336506]Not an attack on you, I called shenanigans on SD’s part since AI seemed to behave noticeably different in my experiences on PS3.

Timing is a hard one to get. I kept my morale up because that was the only way to stop myself going insane. If I was overly-aggressive in the same way you were, I got greeted by a wall of bullets to the face from 3 directions at once. Tried to keep my awareness up, but bots are always a step ahead of you since they have spidey senses…:tongue:[/QUOTE]

I think you’re mixing up the word “aggressive” with “reckless”.

You should really take a closer look at the parts of the video where you felt I should have died, but didn’t. It’s a good way to see stuff that you hadn’t previously noticed.

Wall-O-Text ALERT!!

I admit that I’m not one for spelling every little detail out… However, feel free to list a moment in the battle that you found to be “shenanigans”, and perhaps I’ll be able to clarify the situation a bit for you.
For example:
@3:03 I step out from cover to plant a turret in a way that an average pessimist player might find unbelievable. To me, it’s obvious why I did it, and successfully. Therefore, from my perspective, there would be no reason to explain that I could easily see (using my ears, situation awareness, and motion sensor) that I had three friendly bots currently firing over my shoulders at the enemy (which happens when you draw them into the battle). So, naturally, staying crouched as I pop out of cover for a couple of seconds to start a turret build presents little danger to myself at that moment, with only one (very hurt) enemy able to get me into his sights. Even still, as soon as the turret starts to build, I move right back into cover as I finish it up. Ever think, “why’s he bothering to be so careful about planting that turret when the bots seem so stupid?” Well, that’s because I know better than that. :slight_smile:
@5:46 I rush in to plant the hack box, even as I take on fire from one or two downed enemies. Some players might find that to be reckless, dumb luck or improbable on “their platform”. From my perspective, there should be no reason to point out that the last enemy to go down was a light body which means he can only fire a pistol at me. Hard to go down from that when you keep strafing side to side like I did at the hack box… O_O

Often times, when you watch someone do something that you’ve found to be quite difficult, you look at their performance through a glass of skepticism, often leading to you perceiving the event through a very biased haze.
Through a long long LOOONG, history with FPS gaming, I’ve learned many times over to use my eyes to hunt for knowledge when viewing other gamer’s gameplay. If something doesn’t sit right with me, I’ll go over it again and again in my mind until it does (or replay the videos if it was a recording).

Also… Here’s a recording of someone completing this challenge on level 20 on the PC, that you seemed to have missed. (guy was way more aggressive/reckless than I, and still did just fine completing the challenge his way).
http://www.vidup.de/v/BwTNR/

P.S.
I wasn’t exaggerating when I said I only popped out of cover for 2 seconds to plant that turret. It literally couldn’t have been longer than that, try counting for yourself. :slight_smile:

(Super-Pangolin) #78

I feel like I had to approach the challenge differently than you did, because the bots behaved drastically differently. I’m loading up both videos now, and I’ll tackle 3* with my lvl 20 all-rounder again after watching both runs. And I’ll follow your lead and try it with dual SMGs this time.

Let’s see how this pans out! :wink:

EDIT: Still won’t have Caltrops or Turret, though. Because of my skill distribution I might have to be relying on skill and luck a little more. On this character I bought the following abilities…
Universal: Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Reload, Sense of Perspective (probably doesn’t help for the challenge at all), Resupply Rate Increase, Silent Running, Downed Fire
Soldier: Flashbang Grenades, Kevlar Vest, Extra Magazine
Medic: Increase Supplies, Improved Increase Supplies, Improved Life Buff, Self-Resurrection, Lazarus Grenade
Engineer: Gear Head, Command Post Upgrade, Improved Weapon Buff, Extra Landmine

(wolfnemesis75) #79

[QUOTE=Super-Pangolin;336598]I feel like I had to approach the challenge differently than you did, because the bots behaved drastically differently. I’m loading up both videos now, and I’ll tackle 3* with my lvl 20 all-rounder again after watching both runs. And I’ll follow your lead and try it with dual SMGs this time.

Let’s see how this pans out! :wink:[/QUOTE]

Good luck, brother!

(Super-Pangolin) #80

Mmkay, well my connection is TERRIBLE (even by NZ standards) so the videos are only about 1/2 of the way done on default definition. So I decided to take the challenge on for the ****s & giggle with my character, who as I said above has:

[QUOTE=Super-Pangolin;336598]
Universal: Battle Hardened, Supply Max Increase, Combat Intuition, Sprinting Reload, Sense of Perspective (probably doesn’t help for the challenge at all), Resupply Rate Increase, Silent Running, Downed Fire
Soldier: Flashbang Grenades, Kevlar Vest, Extra Magazine
Medic: Increase Supplies, Improved Increase Supplies, Improved Life Buff, Self-Resurrection, Lazarus Grenade
Engineer: Gear Head, Command Post Upgrade, Improved Weapon Buff, Extra Landmine[/QUOTE]
No Caltrops or Turret. I wasn’t feeling very hopeful having seen you tackle it with ease using those, General, but I gave it a shot. I used Bulpdaun w/ Muzzle Brake, Foregrip, Greeneye Scope and High-cap Mags for my primary, and had Carb w/ Muzzle Brake, Foregrip and Drum Mags as a secondary.

I figured I’d go for it because one that that had become obvious to me was that I wasn’t doing such a good job of maintaining, as you put it, “that present-ness/presence”. For the HE Charge in particular, I would never have dreamed of standing in front of it. On all my previous runs, I bolted back and took cover around those crates just behind, and shot mostly just at the bots trying to disarm. I also took the Engineer objective by taking those spawn crates up the back stairs to the top floor of the catwalks, and would end up trying to advance on it from above, using the bulk of my allies to draw the enemy fire. Now I see how much of a huge difference keeping your presence at the command post does… :eek:

I just finished Be More Objective 3* right now, following that idea of pushing them back under the repair objective and to their spawn, in 6:31 seconds. First time through.

It did seem a little harder than when you went through it (overall, mainly not having Caltrops and having to put down Landmines rather than a Turret didn’t really help), as my allies seemed hesitant at first to shoot or advance, but as the repair objective came around it’s like a switch turned them on to super-awesome-helpful mode. For the first time ever playing that challenge, I think I might have seen just as many “white killed red” obituaries as I did “red killed white”. It was BEAUTIFUL.

I’ll still watch these videos, but I think what makes ALL the difference is KEEP YOUR PRESENCE AS FORWARD AS POSSIBLE (to anybody reading who’s still struggling), what took me several tries over an hour the other night I just did now in SIX AND A HALF MINUTES, all because of a small change in strategy… and having a Carb helped too. :tongue:

I’d like to humbly apologise for calling shenanigans. Whilst I still believe there was certainly a difference in the intelligence, skill and difficulty of the bots, I think it just came down to the luck of the draw rather than vast platform differences like I first thought. :slight_smile: I’d also like to commend you on an eclectic taste in music…