Anyway to play this in 2014??

(BloodyRackham) #1

I reinstalled today not knowing the state of the game, because I haven’t played it in a long while and was itching for some quake mp… When I load up the game I get an error to connect to server when I try to make an account or recover an old one. Anyway around this or is this game done?:infiltrator:

(Chronicler) #2

The game is still “alive”.

Yesterday there were around 60 players online, maybe more, at the same time.

You are welcome to join TAW for one of our events if you want, both EU and NA play on tuesdays and sundays, contact me at chronicler@taw.net for more info :slight_smile:

(Snotling) #3

If you haven’t played QW in a while, you might want to install the latest update of the game which isn’t downloadable from the game itself anymore. You can find the 1.6 PunkBuster update you’ll need to run the game here along with plenty other things as promod: http://stupidoz.free.fr/ftmleague/serverconfs.php .

Once you’ve downloaded the update, just replace the old PB files by the new and it should fix your issue. Hope it’ll work! :slight_smile:

(Chronicler) #4

[QUOTE=Snotling;492183]If you haven’t played QW in a while, you might want to install the latest update of the game which isn’t downloadable from the game itself anymore. You can find the 1.6 PunkBuster update you’ll need to run the game here along with plenty other things as promod: http://stupidoz.free.fr/ftmleague/serverconfs.php .

Once you’ve downloaded the update, just replace the old PB files by the new and it should fix your issue. Hope it’ll work! :)[/QUOTE]

I don’t understand this though, from what I understand the latest game patch is 1.5, and I can download that one from the game itself, unless you meant only the Punkbuster files from the game?

(Snotling) #5

Yeah, I was only talking about the PunkBuster update only, which is required to run ETQW, I named it 1.6 but it’s more likely to be the 1.5 indeed! :o

Anyway, if I’m not talking any sense, there’s some threads on this forum that can help far better than me. :smiley:

(BloodyRackham) #6

Even with that update I still can’t get past the first screen where you login
It just says failed to connect to online server everytime I try to make an account or find a lost one.

(Chronicler) #7

[QUOTE=BloodyRackham;492242]Even with that update I still can’t get past the first screen where you login
It just says failed to connect to online server everytime I try to make an account or find a lost one.[/QUOTE]

Where are you from? TAW has one of it’s events tonight, so if you come on our teamspeak I am sure there is someone there able to help you. E-mail me and we can set it up. Otherwise keep trying, I have heard others has this problem, not sure how they solved it.

(CaliberWorkz) #8

taw taw taw taw taw taw taw taw taw taw !!

(edxot) #9

try disabling microsof essentials (or create an exception there for etqw).

other people login everytime so server is up and running

(Chronicler) #10

[QUOTE=edxot;492298]try disabling microsof essentials (or create an exception there for etqw).

other people login everytime so server is up and running[/QUOTE]

I was gonna suggest this, those essentials cause no end of trouble, but it’s just one of many things that can cause trouble.

(acekiller345) #11

You forgot a taw in there… :stroggbanana:

(DanDares) #12

Still alive, people play EURO server everyday - Villa and OiOi something, its public games but its ok, people are pretty confident and just play fine unlike quake public server full of tards. And some US savers like OCB something and darthballs. So the core public community is like 30-50 players. Its is so cute, like very comfy and home feeling.

So you always can play 12v12 or less interesting matches. ETQW still best fps mp game ever made.

(BloodyRackham) #13

Ok so I made sure to allow the game through windows firewall but I don’t think I have microsoft security essentials. I can’t find it on my pc with the search feature, or by searching manually. I still get the same error. Can’t even make an account.

(light_sh4v0r) #14

Did you let the game download the update or did you install from DVD and downloaded the patch yourself?
I suggest the latter, I recall there was an issue with the automatic patching.

(BloodyRackham) #15

I let the game download the 1.5 patch and then I downloaded that punkbuster update from the above link.

Edit : Just tried uninstalling and then starting from scratch. I updated to 1.5 manually and then did that punkbuster update… I still get Error Could Not connect to online services when I try to make or sign in with an account.

(DSVirus) #16

I can confirm that I too am having this problem. Just reinstalled the game, updated to 1.5 and made sure it was an exception to Windows Firewall. I can’t retrieve my account, create a new one or anything.

(BloodyRackham) #17

I read somewhere to open ports in your firewall but I don’t know how to do it in avast! :
http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=79749

(DSVirus) #18

I opened the ports in my router, turned off my firewall and antivirus and it still won’t connect. I booted up my old machine and the game logs right in. So I copied all the files for it and the registry and it still won’t connect.

(BloodyRackham) #19

is this a windows 7 problem or something?

(1-800-NOTHING) #20

maybe you have to make an exception for etqw.exe, as well?

not sure about how account creation/retrieval works with regards to punkbuster, but normally you should be able to connect to a server even with punkbuster blocked (you’ll get kicked after a short while, though, with a “handshake failure” error or something…)