All current ET mapping projects

(aaa4) #561

shagileo you do not get the point. also your participation in trackbase is more than dissappointing.

kemon said he did not copy any single element from other maps, did he ?

it is about the same as paul who worked on trackbase, and then claimed this work as his own. simply no respect and lack of sense for reality.

and the fact that you “work” for such a dirty and smelly site like trackbase also tells alot about your person.

(aaa4) #562

shagileo you do not get the point. also your participation in trackbase is more than dissappointing.

kemon said he did not copy any single element from other maps, did he ? it is about the same as paul who worked on trackbase, and then claimed this work as his own. simply no respect and lack of sense for reality.

and the fact that you “work” for such a dirty and smelly site like trackbase also tells alot about your person.

(Shownie) #563

[QUOTE=aaa4;262223]shagileo you do not get the point. also your participation in trackbase is more than dissappointing.

kemon said he did not copy any single element from other maps, did he ? it is about the same as paul who worked on trackbase, and then claimed this work as his own. simply no respect and lack of sense for reality.

and the fact that you “work” for such a dirty and smelly site like trackbase also tells alot about your person.[/QUOTE]

Do you judge someone for supporting a site with ET related news?

This tells alot about your person…

There is no reason for you to flame people, you don’t like TrackBase, lol just don’t mind it then. And get real instead of judging other!

Sorry for beeing off-topic :mad:

(KeMoN) #564

aaa4 you still forgot to pick more examples. I’m waiting

(aaa4) #565

yeah the good aspects of trackbase. but if you really know how a person tries to get e-fame by all means, a person like paul, backstabbing splatterladder for his intentions, then i am sure you understand that i will not support this site.

and the fact that you support trackbase with your post right here shows that you silently agree to this kind of backstabbing behaviour. and thats exactly what it is.

aaa4 you still forgot to pick more examples. I’m waiting

lol kemon +1 :smiley: i actually laughed at that :slight_smile:

(aaa4) #566

lol kemon +1 :DD i actually laughed at that :slight_smile:

(Yatta) #567

Theres something I hate more than flame wars, it is right people called liers.

And altough I really dislike mapping with prefabs & such, I dont think it is that bad to use prefabs - prefabs are made to be used. However when you use some (not even sure those are prefabs in this case), and someone tell you you’re copying parts of a map without telling it, and then you call him a liar, a “small lamer kiddy” and say …

there is something very wrong.

Or are you telling us you just happened to use the exact same geometry as Würzburg Radar by chance ?

I know bunkers look like bunkers, but … seriously ?
About the cannon bunker thing, its a common use in maps - those rounds parts in particular - I dont know if those are models or prefabs tough. Its ok to use it, but dont say “everything is handmade” in this case.

Both Kemon and aaa have been very aggressive on this subject, this could have been settled in a far more honest way by telling the truth for Kemon and not dispising other’s work for aaa.

On an unrelated matter :
I do share some of aaa doubts on vis on this map - also im not too sure what you are expecting players will do on the map (common routes, circulation, balance …).

(aaa4) #568

Or are you telling us you just happened to use the exact same geometry as Würzburg Radar by chance ?

lol i bet a person like kemon would not even miss a chance to try to convince us this is the case :slight_smile:

(KeMoN) #569

In my first post I said that this is only the beach and the cliff zone. There is still much to do.

And it really isn’t much work to set up those round bunker walls you can believe me. Ok, I took this corridor out of radar. Still it is not the same and still it is handmade. So I dind’t lie to you. I’m sorry for that! And I’m also sorry that I even started with this map. You guys can really destroy every wish to create a map. I’m getting tired of that. It is the first map which I’ve been really working on. And I was really proud of the result which I achieved.
Sorry to everyone who was believing in me (especially Back$n!p3)
Lot’s of regards
KeMoN

P.S: I took it because a squarish bunker looks really ugly. If you want to I’ll change it to a squarish one. You can also send me other suggestions to make it different like it is right now. Still I think it is really perfect and eye-candy like it is. The lightning and the textures provide a really nice atmosphere…

(aaa4) #570

In my first post I said that this is only the beach and the cliff zone. There is still much to do.
I don’t really understand what in my posts is agressive. If you search for posts by aaa4 they are nearly all the same and I told him that nearly in a normal way. It might seem agressive to you, but I have done my experiences with aaa4.
And it really isn’t much work to set up those round bunker walls you can believe me. I took the pipe out of radar and that’s it.
To the battery thing: I don’t know what happends to you when you try to scale brushes, but when I do they aren’t really the same like before I don’t know why but they do somehow crash…
And if you want to, I can post screens of every single meter of that bunker corridor so you can see what I mean.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

(Yatta) #571

KeMoN, just to make sure you didnt get me wrong :
What im talking about is the fact you basically said aaa was lying, telling us it was fully handmade when it was not, and also that you insulted him. I dont know if he’s worth insulting or not, but your reaction was excessive - tough I do think aaa was too harsh.

Im not blaming you for using parts of others maps because maybe you cant spent more time on making nice geometry yourself. Its not so classy but you’re not the first one to do that, and it can get some maps done - with the risk of having a not-so cohesive map design. The cliff still is nice, and you indeed gave it a great ambiance by using this skybox.

Appart from that aaa has a point when he talks about VIS.
The VIS system is something that computes what parts of a map can be visible from any point. The main goal was to avoid rendering hidden geometry and improvic graphic performance, and it also helps with the netcode as hidden players data are not sent to clients who cant see them. Altough the graphics optimisation is not so usefull on small/medium maps with nowadays computers graphics rendering capacity, the netcode optimisation is still critical. In big places such as this cliff where everyone can see everyone, a 16v16 game will be very laggy and this will severly deteriorate the game experience - aka fun.

There are tricks and layout changes you could do to reduce this problem, but you have to learn more about vis.

On a final note I do encourage you to do everything yourself and stay away from copy-paste and prefabs, as you will learn alot more this way, and the final result will have a far more personal feeling. On my current (big) map project, the graphism are quite poor because im not willing to put so much effort in it, I still managed to make it not too ugly, and players do enjoy it alot - except for those damn script bugs. What Im saying is that dont worry if you cant do very nice geom, focus on the fun first, then when the map is good, you can put more work on the looks.

(stealth6) #572

I think the map looks fine.
Most important is that you keep at it :wink:

Also don’t feed the troll.

Only decent point made was the VIS, but that’s something you’ll figure out or have figured out.
Most important just enjoy yourself and have fun.

(KeMoN) #573

Won’t say anything to this topic :smiley:

[QUOTE=Yatta;262259]
The cliff still is nice, and you indeed gave it a great ambiance by using this skybox.[/Quote]
Thank you for that. It cost me about one and a half week to build up the whole beach with cliffside.

The work on the water is running quite good. We had some shader problems (which were primary my fault^^) but it is running quite good now (thanks to the great helper by my side!)

As I said this is my first real map and I guess for that it looks really good. Everything I did before ended in errors. (Sometimes also these errors weren’t even known by google or other mappers…) So I know quite a lot about errors in maps and I’m even still learning more.

I was always against copy paste, but this corridor was nice and I still think what I made out of it is awesome. I will work on that because now I can’t keep this corridor anymore…

Good luck with that :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Yatta;262259]
What Im saying is that dont worry if you cant do very nice geom, focus on the fun first, then when the map is good, you can put more work on the looks.[/QUOTE]

It will surely be the other way round! Graphics first. But I yet received some suggestions for the gameplay and I also made some changes from my side:

> The form of the cliff will be changed so the upper part provides a bit cover for the allies:

like that: ___
--------------------\
---------------------|
--------------------/
-------------------/
------------------|
------------------|_sea

I also needed some time to understand that when I talked with a friend about it, but it is quite logical.

> and there will be a natural cave in the cliff which leads to a bunker through which the allies can also reach the top of the cliff. Beside 5 ropes on a damn long cliff which can’t be defended by a handfull of axis :smiley:

In my last post it might have sounded like I want to quit this project. I will NOT!
If I’d do that it would be a too easy win for aaa4 and I can’t live with that. It would be something else if this project would also be ended by an error (like always^^) but let’s don’t think about that.
I’m back! Give me a week and you will have a bunkeer which (hopefully) is even nicer. (Shouldn’t be that hard to create a corridor in a week, hm?

EDIT

[QUOTE=stealth6;262277]I think the map looks fine.
Most important is that you keep at it :wink:

Also don’t feed the troll.[/QUOTE] ye…always those trolls :smiley:

[QUOTE=stealth6;262277]
Only decent point made was the VIS, but that’s something you’ll figure out or have figured out.
Most important just enjoy yourself and have fun.[/QUOTE]
And mapping was always fun to me! I didn’t care when I received an error I just started the next project, until I “landed at the Pointe du Hoc” (nice pun ain’t it? :smiley:

Good night to you people
Lot’s of regards
KeMoN

(shagileo) #574

You were very right with showing your work. It’s nice to see people are still making maps for the game, so don’t stop developing !

(KeMoN) #575

Well, here goes the new bunker. In my opinion it is really a bit nicer! In the indentation in the sides there is perfect space for pipes.

It took me yesterday 4 hours and today maybe 1 to fix the SV_SetBrushModel : NULL error.

I have attached 3 screenshots. Please remind that the second one is with cg_fov 110 to have a better view of the corner!

This one is with cg_fov 110

All screenshots have been made with:

+r_intensity 1.3 +r_gamma 1.3  +r_picmip 0

(stealth6) #576

That looks really cool!

Maybe you should make a WIP thread for this map? More interesting to have all the progress in 1 place.

(KeMoN) #577

well okay I will do that. It’s currently compiling for seeing the new lightning experiments :smiley:
During that I can set up that thread.

EDIT
OK, Thread has been set up. Please post comments relating to my project there so we don’t get confused! Direct link, here:
http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23339

(KeMoN) #578

[QUOTE=Avoc;260473]Finally finished with the first area.

[/QUOTE]

Do you still work on that project Avoc? Would be cool to hear some progress again (if there is one :tongue:)

and also what about that project? [QUOTE=Avoc;224026]Helping a friend with his map, re-designing the final area:

[/QUOTE]

Are they both stopped?

(Avoc) #579

[QUOTE=KeMoN;274886]Do you still work on that project Avoc? Would be cool to hear some progress again (if there is one :tongue:)

and also what about that project?

Are they both stopped?[/QUOTE]

Still working on it, I’ve made a new area and now working on re-designing the final area. No pics for now though.

As for the bottom picture, it was actually part of the same map, however the guy who made the map decided to completely change the layout of everything, scrapping that entire week worth of work making that area :smiley:

I’ve told him that if he does the same thing now, I will kill him.

(KeMoN) #580

[QUOTE=Avoc;274909]Still working on it, I’ve made a new area and now working on re-designing the final area. No pics for now though.

As for the bottom picture, it was actually part of the same map, however the guy who made the map decided to completely change the layout of everything, scrapping that entire week worth of work making that area :smiley:

I’ve told him that if he does the same thing now, I will kill him.[/QUOTE]

Great to hear that you still work on it.
Why did he decided that? >.< That screenshot looks damn cool. Anyway…the map will surely look great :slight_smile: