With Doom 4 coming out... Enemy Territory 3...

(tokamak) #21

[QUOTE=.Chris.;375653]Never really liked the Doom universe, couldn’t get into as much as could with Quake and the Strogg.

Afaik Doom is just against demons and such, be pretty hard to try make a team based objective game using them as a premise no?

I would rather they either tried expanding the ET:QW idea and make the teams more asymmetric, tone down the emphasis on vehicles and deployables, have more variety in the maps, more infantry maps for example, maybe a dead 50/50 split between vehicle and infantry maps.

Or apply the premise of ET:QW and fit it into the Wolfenstein mold but in same manor as above so be almost like you get two style of games, get your typical ET style when playing infantry maps then a more expansive ET:QW style when playing the vehicle maps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly. The universe doesn’t really lend itself. I guess they realised that with Quake and went for a complete rehaul with Quake 2, much better story. Daemons would allow for even more asymmetry, which would be cool but very experimental but why change a winning fomula?. ETQW still has a few more continents to fill and after that’s saturated there’s always Stroggos.

Though first I would love to see a global offense for W:ET. And as said before, I wouldn’t even mind if the graphics stayed the same.

(.Chris.) #22

[QUOTE=tokamak;375695]Yeah exactly. The universe doesn’t really lend itself. I guess they realised that with Quake and went for a complete rehaul with Quake 2, much better story. Daemons would allow for even more asymmetry, which would be cool but very experimental but why change a winning fomula?. ETQW still has a few more continents to fill and after that’s saturated there’s always Stroggos.

Though first I would love to see a global offense for W:ET. And as said before, I wouldn’t even mind if the graphics stayed the same.[/QUOTE]

Slightly unrelated, I kind of always wanted a SP campaign to ET:QW, where you witness first hand the initial invasion and as you played through the game you would learn/discover about certain things that tie up with what happens in the campaigns of the MP.

There’s lots of room for new campaigns for the MP side of things as you say, Middle East, East Asia, South America, that’s one thing I liked about ET:QW over Brink, each map was totally different, and we had 12 of them…

(Susefreak) #23

I’d like to see an ET:QW sequel mixing with the Quake 4 storyline. Having the complete backstory of the human invasion on Stroggos.
Just like ET:QW altho just as Chris mentioned, some infantry only maps would complement the storyline a bit better.

(signofzeta) #24

I kind of thought that making an ET about Doom would make sense, because the storyline for the ET game was always related to the game preceeding it, and that all ET games are always the third game with the id logo on it. Unless ET3 is released before Doom 4, it could have Rage’s storyline.

If they were allowed to make an ET that has nothing to do with any id tech 5 game, then they could I guess.

(.Chris.) #25

[QUOTE=signofzeta;375918]I kind of thought that making an ET about Doom would make sense, because the storyline for the ET game was always related to the game preceeding it, and that all ET games are always the third game with the id logo on it. Unless ET3 is released before Doom 4, it could have Rage’s storyline.

If they were allowed to make an ET that has nothing to do with any id tech 5 game, then they could I guess.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but what are you blabbering on about? I don’t think id and SD quite planned W:ET and ET:QW based on patterns…

(signofzeta) #26

Yeah, but W:ET was after RTCW, and ETQW was after Quake 4. So I assume that ET3 will be based on the story of the game preceeding it. It isn’t like they are going to just make up a brand new story, and for a multiplayer only game that has a crappy single player, having the storyline based off the game preceeding it, which has an actual single player campaign makes more sense.

You can’t have Wolfenstein ET3, and have no wolfenstein games within the same engine. Just think of ET has a stand alone supplemental game to the game preceeding it.

(MoonOnAStick) #27

I definitely prefer the Doom universe to the Quake 2/4 stuff but it doesn’t really lend itself to a symmetric(ish) team shooter. Maybe the ‘hell team’ could be some sort of spirits where class type determines your initial physical host but your spirit could transfer to larger demons (taking the role of vehicles) or to downed enemies for disguise.

If id/SD are taking requests, I’d like to see ET:Rage. Most of the previews seem to imply that the vehicle combat is strong. Add some Mad Max style mini helicopters, armoured buses and motorbikes - that’s one faction sorted. Then knock out some more conventional transport for the Authority (making the flyers a little less dominating.) Even better if they could price it as a ‘budget’ add-on in the mould of ye olde expansion packs.

A 50/50 split between vehicle/infantry maps would be nice but I also quite like the change in focus provided by the infantry-only final objectives in ET:QW.

(.Chris.) #28

Says who? Why does ET have to be a supplemental game? Because it was in the past?

You could also argue we’ve already had ET3, it was called Brink.

(Humate) #29

^LOLOLOL - yes according to some it was ET3

Back on topic:

I would like to see ETQW, but in WWII period.
Asymmetrical gameplay, counter system, funny vsays, an achievement medal system cough

(donmichelangelo) #30

I would rather like to see ETQW 2 or Rage: Enemy Territory

Any W:ET with WW2 setting should be made by the community because the gameplay itself is already superior and would need, if at all, just very minor enhancements and graphical upgrade. :wink:

(its al bout security) #31

looks completely beast… just my problem is the fact that umm… nazis plus the milinium falcon just dont sit right together sorry dude.

(donmichelangelo) #32

well you are argumenting like black = white, community made games can be very exciting, but if you are a mainstreamer who always needs to buy the latest CoD then, yeh, its your problem and not mine and I have no reason to care :slight_smile:

The reason I have said that ET is already superior simply is the classicness of it. It’s on the same position like Q3A/QL, the gameplay is already perfect as it is so why the **** do you want to force a W:ET sucessor made by SD just to see it console compatible and completely slowed down so that even “slow-reaction” gamers can play it?

btw
there is also a gtkradiant that you can use to create new maps for ET or any sucessor :slight_smile:

(Dormamu) #33

@donmichelangelo
I think “its al bout security” is referring to Iron Sky trailer :D, see the reference to millennium falcon.
@its al bout security
Some say that the Nazi had the “Haunebu project” a flying saucers. Myth/reality who cares, but is good for the story. A secret nazi moon base, the next Castle Wolfenstein :D. No spaceship simulation only FPS :tongue:, this would help bring the action in the present days and preserve the WW2 aura from RTCW/W:ET.

(Smooth) #34

[QUOTE=Slade05;375115]Again and again: who has the ****ing IP rights to ET?
If it`s ATVI you can kiss it goodbye.[/QUOTE]

What badman said.

(wolfnemesis75) #35

[QUOTE=Smooth;376061]What badman said.[/QUOTE]Everything interesting seems to be owned and up to ZeniMax/id. Hopefully that’s a good thing? :frowning:

(Dormamu) #36

So, W:ET - ZeniMax/Id
QW:ET - ACtivision?/ID
Brink - Zenimax

SD you really need your own IP, i mean really. And with the news from Rahdo that you gain some cash from Brink, i hope you will give me a good news before Christmas this year about your new IP, owned by SD foreva and eva :smiley:

(BR1GAND) #37

[QUOTE=.Chris.;375653]
I would rather they either tried expanding the ET:QW idea and make the teams more asymmetric, tone down the emphasis on vehicles and deployables, have more variety in the maps, more infantry maps for example, maybe a dead 50/50 split between vehicle and infantry maps.

Or apply the premise of ET:QW and fit it into the Wolfenstein mold but in same manor as above so be almost like you get two style of games, get your typical ET style when playing infantry maps then a more expansive ET:QW style when playing the vehicle maps.[/QUOTE]

Chris is on the right track. I’d also like to see more gameplay modes. Could a teambased game have a viable DM/Tourney mode (ala UNREAL)? Or even to be more extreme, a RTS/Commander mode? I’ve often thought how ETQWs would be fun as a RTS. I remember the LMS of W:ET… it wasn’t too popular on pubs, but I enjoyed playing it as a change of pace. And of course Base Race, although not really envisioned by SD, it was a great addition bought forward by the modding/editing community.

I sure hope SD can move on to ETQW2, or a similar ET based game set in some other universe. Include skill based movement, and asymmetric teams. Create gameplay modes that are balanced by different maps that allow for large scale air/land battles (up to 32 players or more) as well as small indoor infantry only ones (and even 1v1 tourney gameplay). Keep all the great stuff that sets SD games apart from the crowd, xp system, objective based gameplay, and continue to support the modding/mapping community.

Wanna make money SD? Make the game free! Well sorta. Here’s a marketing idea.

[ol]
[li]Base game — Free to download, free to distribute. Other than a demo level or 2, will only work in multiplayer on a Lan with at least 1 retail copy of the game (as only a retail copy can act as a server in lan mode).[/li][li]Online Version — Normal retail cost, and requires online account (free). [/li][li]Subscription — Small monthly fee. Required to run “Ranked Servers”, and grants access to Ranked Stats, Character Customization, Clan Stats and Rankings, . Additionally you could offer a limited number of alpha and beta testing accounts early on for subscribers only, and credit those subscribers for their time after the official release of the game. :smiley: [/li][/ol]

(V1cK_dB) #38

A W:ET with the Rage id Tech 5 engine would be a dream come true. That engine is the first engine I’ve seen that moves fast enough and smooth enough to be a true successor to W:ET in the next gen if done right. I’m not even going to remotely get excited for the possibility but it’s nice to see you guys even acknowledge the possibility.

(sanDIOkan) #39

i totally agree and the good thing is that idtech 5 comes out with a sdk from the day one.
(learn sd)

(badman) #40

[QUOTE=Dormamu;376132]So, W:ET - ZeniMax/Id
QW:ET - ACtivision?/ID
Brink - Zenimax[/QUOTE]
All of these properties are owned by ZeniMax, actually. ;o