Windowed mode?

(ImSploosh) #1

Windowed mode isn’t working correctly. After the update, my settings, or at least my window settings appear to have reset. However, after further examination, nothing has changed, but the window is showing up too small and it’s also a bit fuzzy and washed out rather than clear. I play on 16:9, 1600x900, Windowed Mode.

Here’s the problem:
Dirty Bomb’s current resolution-

Normal 1600x900 Windowed mode resolution-

I currently cannot play because none of the windowed mode options are available as they’re all improperly sized. Entering full screened mode fixes the fuzziness issue, but the screen is too small or too big for me to play. I play on a TV and prefer the window for my games to be a bit smaller than fullscreen so I don’t strain my eyes and get headaches.

Specs:
CPU: AMD FX6300
Mobo: MSI 970 Gaming
RAM: 8 gb 1866
GPU: AMD R9 280
HDD: 1TB WD Blue
Drivers are up to date.

Thanks to anyone who can help! I already posted in the bug megathread, but just wanna see if there’s a solution for now. I looked through the config files and couldn’t find the resolution settings so I think I’m just not seeing them.

(ImSploosh) #2

Someone help. Can’t play until this is fixed!

(GatoCommodore) #3

press alt+enter

(ImSploosh) #4

That’s just the shortcut to enter windowed mode??? The mode itself is not working properly. The screen is too small. The resolution is not being displayed correctly. The size of the window should change as I go from say 1280x720 to 1600x900, but it doesn’t. It stays the same size, which is much too small and blurry.

(Amerika) #5

The only thing I can think of right now is to backup your .ini files and remove them from your user directory, start the game back up and see if you still have the issue. Do you happen to have your config .ini file set to read only?

(GatoCommodore) #6

That’s just the shortcut to enter windowed mode??? The mode itself is not working properly. The screen is too small. The resolution is not being displayed correctly. The size of the window should change as I go from say 1280x720 to 1600x900, but it doesn’t. It stays the same size, which is much too small and blurry. [/quote]

sometimes if my programs arent running on borderless or fullscreen i just press Alt+Enter
if it doesnt work then i dont know what will

(pumpkinmeerkat) #7

My game was stuck in windowed mode recently. Uninstalling the game and deleting .ini files before reinstalling fixed my issue.

(ImSploosh) #8

What folders/files should I backup and delete exactly? I just don’t want to mess anything up. I’ve been looking in “My Documents->My Games->UnrealEngine->ShooterGame” for the resolution, but can’t seem to find it. Also, I checked all of the files in the config folder and they all appear to not be read only.

Sadly, that’s not the issue at hand. I might have to try this, but ultimately, I’m hoping for the devs to fix this issue! Every other game I’ve played runs in the same windowed mode screen size for 1600x900. I’ll attach a picture to the main post to show the issue.

(pumpkinmeerkat) #9

@Sploosh save a copy of your .ini files before deleting everything in your configs folder within ShooterGame. I had to reinstall the game as well to fix my issue but worth trying just the configs first. Next time you open the game they will regenerate in the same location.

@Amerika key binds and input settings must be saved somewhere else as well. After uninstalling and deleting configs my sensitivity and binds remained unchanged rather than reverting to default values. Do you know if these are stored to our player accounts? Or just another local directory for DB or Steam??

(ImSploosh) #10

[quote=“pumpkinmeerkat;c-221568”]@Sploosh save a copy of your .ini files before deleting everything in your configs folder within ShooterGame. I had to reinstall the game as well to fix my issue but worth trying just the configs first. Next time you open the game they will regenerate in the same location.

@Amerika key binds and input settings must be saved somewhere else as well. After uninstalling and deleting configs my sensitivity and binds remained unchanged rather than reverting to default values. Do you know if these are stored to our player accounts? Or just another local directory for DB or Steam??[/quote]

Just tried it and it didn’t work, still having the same problem. I suppose next step is to reinstall DB, though I doubt that will fix the problem. Hope the devs can solve this, but chances are, it will be ignored because I’m the only one who’s posted about it. I’d like to get some other people to try windowed mode and see if they’re having the same issue.

(Amerika) #11

What folders/files should I backup and delete exactly? I just don’t want to mess anything up. I’ve been looking in “My Documents->My Games->UnrealEngine->ShooterGame” for the resolution, but can’t seem to find it. Also, I checked all of the files in the config folder and they all appear to not be read only.

Sadly, that’s not the issue at hand. I might have to try this, but ultimately, I’m hoping for the devs to fix this issue! Every other game I’ve played runs in the same windowed mode screen size for 1600x900. I’ll attach a picture to the main post to show the issue. [/quote]

It sounds like you already did this but I’d back up the whole folder first (just rename it to something else) and then fire up DB. Everything will be recreated for you.

If that didn’t work then I would remove that folder again and uninstall DB. Then try reinstalling DB. You could try installing it to a different folder just in case the game is using some random temp file instead of the proper user dir .ini files (I know at least one config file does this). That would force the game to recreate that temp .ini file if there is one since the default directory changed.

Good luck man!

(ImSploosh) #12

[quote=“Amerika;c-221572”]

It sounds like you already did this but I’d back up the whole folder first (just rename it to something else) and then fire up DB. Everything will be recreated for you.

If that didn’t work then I would remove that folder again and uninstall DB. Then try reinstalling DB. You could try installing it to a different folder just in case the game is using some random temp file instead of the proper user dir .ini files (I know at least one config file does this). That would force the game to recreate that temp .ini file if there is one since the default directory changed.

Good luck man![/quote]

Trying this now. If this doesn’t work, I’m not sure what I’m gonna do. I’ll ask a few friends to run their game in windowed mode to see if they encounter any problems as well. I do plan on getting a monitor in a few weeks, so that will should fix my issues of course, but as for now, no DB for me.

Thanks for your help Amerika!

(ImSploosh) #13

Sadly, what you suggested Amerika, didn’t work. Reinstalled the game and the same problem is happening.

(HammerOfDawn21) #14

[left][quote=“Sploosh;c-221564”]

[/quote]

Resolution settings are in My Documents->My Games->UnrealEngine->Config-> ShooterEngine.ini
Can you try changing resX and resY to the desired resolution manually in the config file?[/left]

(ImSploosh) #15

[quote=“HammerOfDawn;c-221604”][left][quote=“Sploosh;c-221564”]

[/quote]

Resolution settings are in My Documents->My Games->UnrealEngine->Config-> ShooterEngine.ini
Can you try changing resX and resY to the desired resolution manually in the config file?[/left]

[/quote]

Still didn’t work sadly. Getting the same result. :frowning:

(HammerOfDawn21) #16

There’s this free third party program called sizer, should be the first result when you type sizer in Google. I just tested it, it works with DB, takes a few attempts to work though. It can be a workaround until you find a permanent solution.

(ImSploosh) #17

Thanks, I’ll check it out later today! I’m worried that using a 3rd party program might mess up the clarity a bit (like having a stretched, or overly condensed and funny look to the game). Hopefully it will work for now. I think it might be something on the dev’s end, but I have to look into it more.

(ImSploosh) #18

Tried dozens of solutions, including Sizer, and nothing’s worked. Sizer gives the same result as the in-game resolutions. Any 16:9 resolution do not work properly, they all give a small window, about the size of a normal 1280x720 window. Other options like 4:3 appear to work correctly though.

I did manage to manually change the window to around the size I wanted by inputting a custom resolution after making a change in one of the files in the Steam directory. The change was temporary and only lasted until I restarted the game. However, this change only changed the size of the window and not the resolution so the result (I inputted 1000x600 to produce a window which appear closest to my normal 1600x900 window) showed a screen that looked a bit fuzzy. It looked similarly to playing a PS2 on an HDTV if anyone’s ever done that. This deemed it unplayable.

I have not yet found a solution so if anyone else would like to give more suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully SD sees this and helps or fixes it.

@stayfreshshoe Any help? :frowning:

(pumpkinmeerkat) #19

My game now says windowed is on in the in-game menu even though game is fullscreen and main menu says fullscreen. Definitely some weirdness with this setting.

Anyone know where else user settings are being saved? Wiping configs brings back the same settings for binds, mouse sense, and some video and screen effects settings.

(SnakekillerX) #20

Its a really strange, I haven’t been able to replicate Sploosh’s problem.
My windowed 1600x900 does display correctly. I took a screenshot of it and pasted it in paint and then checked the dimensions of the game and they were indeed 1600x900.

Wish I could help but unless someone else can replicate the problem it may be too specific to his PC. Could be a combination of software and hardware that is just doing something wrong that other people are just simply unable to replicate.