why does BRINK have so much haters ?

(RT1) #201

I use Handbrake. I’m currently tweaking the output settings to see what sort of results I get. So far though, Youtube thoroughly eats the hell out of what quality remains.

(DarkangelUK) #202

If you can be arsed, capture with fraps, you can dump them into vegas no problem. Edit then render with a lossless codec (used to use huffyuv but I’ve since switched to Lagarith lossless codec) then final encode with MegUI to x264 in mp4 container, should maintain a decent amount of quality when upped to facetube.

(njezic) #203

RT1, try capture some Brink gameplay video when you in “spectator mode” and “free fly”, this looking great !!! Especilay on B.A.G.U. server which is currently in first place ranking by GameTracker.
It should show what the great battles take place there every day… :slight_smile:

For this suggestion I was inspired by some pro-fighting recorded in “free-fly” mode at Brink TV:

[ul]
[li]ESL Brink Championship Group Stage
[/li][li]TWL 6v6 Brink Tournament
[/li][/ul]

(TheG4mer) #204

why does BRINK have so much haters ?

Easy question. Simple answer: Cause the game sucked.

(RT1) #205

Silly rabbit, suckage is always in the eye of the beholder. As well, you may very well be projecting your own personal shortcomings on the game. Get blown away a bit too many times for your liking? I mean, negative associations are easy to form if you’ve taken one too many virtual slugs to the face to keep it from being enjoyable.

(.Chris.) #206

Which can happen a lot if you’re on the attacking side on container city for example.

(RT1) #207

All you need is at least two quick, capable players and a relatively good defensive strategy on the gate to secure first advantage. Once the gate is blown, it’s easy for a few proactive players to vault the wall to flank the defenders and clear a path for the bot to get through. If the attacking side fails to down the first few players that round that corner to take aim at the solider planting the charge, might as well pack it in.

There are good, tactical methods for running a good attacking strategy on Container City. It takes patience and imagination to know how to best operate on this map, which sadly many lack.

(zenstar) #208

You keep blaming people for not liking the game. The whole “obviously you suck and that’s why you don’t like it” smacks of the whole “blaming the victim of rape for getting raped”. The majority of people have shown that they think the game has shortcomings. They have shown this by playing it for a few weeks and then dropping it.

I don’t know why you have to try so hard to make out that you’re enjoying the game so much. If you like it that’s fine, but don’t pretend that you’re not in the minority. It’s not someone’s fault if they think the game sucks. Their opinion is just as valid as yours even if it’s contrary to yours.

It certainly sounds like a case of being over defensive to cover a shortcoming. Stop trying so hard to be the cool guy. Can you not enjoy something without everyone else having to know that you enjoy it and that it must be enjoyed and that if they don’t enjoy it they’re wrong?

It was a fun game while it lasted, but there were certainly issues with it.

(RT1) #209

I blame people for attempting to assign attributes to inanimate objects, as if “suckage” to Brink is as inherent as the fact that it’s a game. So yes, logic dictates that I should blame folks for what I perceive to be their shortcomings. It’s entirely their problem that they think the game sucks. Anything else amounts to simple denial.

Associating negative attributes to games, I have found, have a direct correlation with one’s skill in said game. I happen to be one of the world’s best Wipeout (racing) players. There’s a whole crew of them who completely slam “barrel rolls” for speed in the later iterations of the series as having ruined some wet dream of theirs. Lo and behold, fully none of those folks’ names would ever be found in any online leaderboard within the top three player names. The end result is they completely write the game off as irrelevant to their preferences. I see it time and time again. Fully nobody I’ve ever come across in Wipeout that are capable of performing barrel rolls ever complained about them as being “game breaking.”

I think Brink was revolutionary to be honest. Aside from the early nickpickings I had about not being able to hit the broad side of the barn with the game’s weapons early in its release, those issues were largely solved in subsequent patches. Oh, that and no means to nullify the horribly-abused grenade knockdowns from underslungs (wish the weapon shield did that). I may say that, and it would be a purely subjective opinion, while another person may see nothing wrong at all.

I’m reminded of threads that pop up on the various messageboards I frequent, to the tune of “is this game good?” Who except the person that asks the question should decide as much? The fact of the matter is “good” or “bad” will never be an attribute of anything as intimate as, say, that thing’s color, shape or texture. This is pure subjectivity here, so one man’s suckage is another man’s success. And hoping you know something of the nature of subjectivity, what you suggest I point the finger at?

Here’s a hint; it isn’t the game.

(DarkangelUK) #210

What a load of drivel. Yes, the developer has absolutely no sway in the enjoyment of a game, it’s purely 100% down to the player to force themselves to enjoy it. Like a chef has no sway on how tasty his food is, it’s all down to the person to enjoy the taste as much as they can. Oh dear…

(RT1) #211

Out of curiosity, I just checked your Steam profile. I was checking to see how many hours you’ve sunk into the game that makes you the armchair authority you are. You’ve had Brink on your wishlist since 2010, yet I don’t see it anywhere in your 343 item long list of games. Have you even played it?

(DarkangelUK) #212

I’m glad you looked me up, that shows some intuition at least and actual thought process going on there. I have 2 Steam accounts, Brink is on my 2nd account. I didn’t play much, it got boring after a while… maybe 60 hrs play (and it certainly wasn’t because of getting face bullets).

Played a lot of the movement challenge, got down to 21 secs. Spent some time on the movement itself, even made a couple of very quick jump clips (1 and 2). I would have stuck to the movement thing for a lot longer had the offline tic rate not made the fps be stuck at 30.

(RT1) #213

60 hours? Child’s play. You’re no armchair authority at all. I have logged more than ten times your Brink screentime and with a class that isn’t handed experience points like candy. Yes, my e-peen is quite imposing thank you very much, particularly when my monitor’s adrenaline count rises above 130 ticks per second.

(DarkangelUK) #214

Oh well in that case you can weigh in on the decision to leave offline tic rate to 30fps rate and its effects on ground accel, air accel, input rates when using a mouse at 1000hz polling rate and it’s translation to forward momentum and the effect that has on game movement. What’s your thoughts on the subject? For a game priding itself on movement and the seamless SP/MP transitions, it seems like a strange decision to make… why do you think they went with that one?

I’m glad we have a self certified Brink guru here, you can answer everything for us.

(RT1) #215

Check my Steam profile periodically for video updates that demonstrate the virtue of practice, patience and perseverance. You’ll be my biggest fan in no time. Pedants and fools alike welcomed! And be sure to subscribe to my Youtube channel! LOL!

(DarkangelUK) #216

Oh come on now self proclaimed Brink master, you can do better than that. It’s been a bug bear for a lot of users since day one, do you think it’s a valid issue or are there reasons you think it was capped? ETQW was at least set to 60 but that only affected demo capturing, offline visual rates were what ever frames you could push. It was built off their own modified tech, why do you think they went this route?

(RT1) #217

Well, let’s see. The answer is either 42 or two quick in-game taps of the trigger to the chest and one to the head. Yep, uh huh.

(.Chris.) #218

I have a sneaky suspicion this guy hasn’t a clue what DA is talking about, dodging the question and all. I would have thought after 622 hours of playing he’d be in authority on everything Brink related rendering anyone’s view on the matter with less play time obsolete, or at least that’s what he just alluded to a few posts back anyway…

(DarkangelUK) #219

But RT1 you’re a true supporter and everyone else are just haters, surely you can shoot down my hate and trollness with reasoning and logic. It’s one of many issues that put people off, maybe you can convince us all why it’s a non-issue, why it shouldn’t matter to them and why it was the best way to go? All those hours of play should make you a veritable genius on the subject cos apparently that’s how it works, right?

(SockDog) #220

To be fair 650 of those hours were waiting for servers to fill. :smiley: