why does BRINK have so much haters ?

(.Chris.) #181

Was plenty of good threads with sensible discussions occurring on a regular basis, shame most of them got derailed by people on both sides of the fence, not just the ‘haters’.

Think this is for the best, SD have been riding on the success of ET for a while now. ET:QW was a great game but had some short comings that held it back from being a real success, some of it down to SD, a lot of it down to Activision. Personally I saw past all of that as I knew this was their first ‘proper’ game, was a solid effort considering. However somehow they went backwards with Brink instead of forwards in a number of ways as discussed a millions times now. Brink sold well but couldn’t retain players, speaks for itself really. Again this was in part down to the both publisher and the developer.

I assume in light of this SD as a company started to rethink how to do things, hence FireTeam and WarChest. Though details are sketchy at best it would appear the situation with FireTeam and WarChest will help them try and make sure some of the failings of Brink and ET:QW wont be repeated in their next title. It will be interesting to see what they can come up with, as before I won’t shy away from posting my opinions on the next game, good or bad.

(slow day at work)

(RT1) #182

Another mad session last night. Took it upon myself to take a rather less active leadership role. The server was fairly populated at the time too. Haters truly don’t know what they’re missing. :slight_smile:

(Teufel_Eldritch) #183

It may be wishful thinking but it -appears- to me that Brink is getting new players coming in. Almost everytime I play I see someone new to the game. Perhaps all the hate needed to cool down a bit before ppl would be willing to give Brink a shot.

(DarkangelUK) #184

Surely if they were haters then they wouldn’t be missing anything? I hate brussel sprouts, personally I don’t miss anything by not eating something I hate…

(zenstar) #185

I think it’s more likely that the price needed to drop to a point where it’s practically free so there’s no real cost in trying the game out. Last price I saw was about £5. At that price the game is definitely worth playing for at least a spin through all the missions.

You’re missing the bitter taste of dissapointment. Blegh! Brussle sprouts =(

(RT1) #186

A sample of the usual face-wrecking I do with the Rokstedi. Pay no mind to the dismal quality of the video. Shout out to Komat$u for remaining attached to my ass with the healing. This match was last night at about 4AM. :slight_smile:

As much as we tried keeping the teams even, folks either rage quit or stacked up on our team. Probably because we were winning.

(Commander_Keen) #187

I heard your guy say like 3 times you were low on ammo and you purchased the scavenger ability why didn’t you scavenge the bodies for ammo during the lull? Nice video you are definitely a team player!

(RT1) #188

Thanks for checking the video out, Keen. I use Scavenger very sparingly. I’m a fairly aggressive player by nature, so I usually opt to keep moving. Unless my team are sprayers and I’m desperate for pips to keep up, I don’t make much of an effort to scavenge bodies. I think I scavenged one body at the very end of the video – that’s my once-in-blue-moon effort there. :slight_smile:

I have another video (Container City) we played last night that I have yet to encode. Komat$u and I were two of the main players in it as well.

About teamwork, I honestly don’t see the reason not to do it. I consider every match a race, and I look for every opportunity to score as much points in one go as I can to keep ahead of as many people as I can on the scoreboard. My main character is a soldier, so even my best effort isn’t often the best in the game if there’s a medic or engineer that are really on point with their handouts.

If you or anyone else is interested in more videos, I’m um, “keen” on uploading more. :slight_smile:

(tangoliber) #189

I used Rokstedi - Tampa in some of these clips too.

But, its from demo playback, so the aiming is not accurate (it just shows you aiming in the general direction most of the time). I don’t have very good aim, but it definitely isn’t as bad as it looks in the footage…hehe.

(Ark_peasant) #190

I just found out I forgot to uninstall Brink, so for a good laugh I wanted to see how the forum is doing =]

There one thing I never understood: Why SD never tried to fix what could be fixed will less than a week of coding ? (especially when there was less than 100 regular players, there really was no commercial risk at all)

I’m thinking of flaws like forcing players to disconnect to change characters (since a character could specialize in 2 classes only, teams were frequently getting stuck when no one in the top5 had the right class for the current objective). A lot of other aberrations needed a quick-fix, but they never came.

Then the lack of map editor is really weird.

It could have to do with technology licensing… but doesn’t Brink use a modified id tech 4 ? doesn’t id support modding ? doesn’t Doom introduced many kids to “real” game developing thanks to its map editor ?

Doesn’t Bethesda usually supports modding ? Doesn’t Skyrim is now included on the Steam Workshop, a platform solely dedicated to modding ?

I’m not even talking about a full SDK, just a map editor.

With a map editor, fans could have fixed unbalanced choke points, and also roll some new interesting maps (fully using the potential of the SMART functions). But the map editor never came. And it wasn’t for DLCs : the only DLC released had 2 maps and was acquired for free by the vast majority of active players.

I don’t understand why SD left Brink in such a pitiful state.

Especially since they were modders before becoming “real” developers, they perfectly know a multiplayer product can’t be left on the side of the road under the rain like that.

You can be sure the reputation of SD simply vanished with the disillusions of Brink, I’m afraid their next title will tank (at least on the PC platform).

EDIT: Oh, does some of you bought Red Orchestra 2 ? I happen to have fallen to the deadly trap of pre-ordering once again, what a fool I was :smiley:

I’ll never buy before 50% deals or pre-order a game ever again.

But at least Tripwire Interactive listened after 6 months of complains and criticism (what they did with the GOTY Update is basically “What the 10 guys kept saying and detailing on the forum since September”), and somewhat apologized for the launch and the terrible initial game design. They actually fixed it, game design wise.

As now, the game went from having less than 100 players online (with servers filled with bots) on average, to 500/1000 and no bots. And so far, it looks like it could keep a playerbase alive.

And they released map editor and (incomplete) SDK. We already have beta-stage custom maps.

What Splash Damage did for Brink ? Turning a planned DLC into a free update since they weren’t going to sell it anyway. No game design fix, no apologies, no map editor, no SDK.

I really don’t know what is going on at Splash Damage.

(RT1) #191

Came back to getchur hate on, did ya?

(xAeroAtlas) #192

But the game of Brink is superb. It was released too soon, but Brink is no less than a great game.

(xAeroAtlas) #193

Its probably because they don’t own the IP Bethesda does.
Also Brink is a great game. Unique, simple, well contained, and very repayable.

(wolfnemesis75) #194

[QUOTE=xAeroAtlas;401754]Its probably because they don’t own the IP Bethesda does.
Also Brink is a great game. Unique, simple, well contained, and very repayable.[/QUOTE]I wonder if it is possible to buy an IP from another company? For instance, Microsoft bought the IP Halo (I believe.) Or I could be wrong. Too bad. I’d like to see more Brink.

(zenstar) #195

It’s possible but normally expensive. It would be far easier for them to simply create a spiritual successor under a different name.

(RT1) #196

Had another beautiful session over about three or four maps last night (PC). A few of the NGG guys were in attendance and I managed to record three extremely tight, see-saw battles against high level players on Container City, Refuel and Resort. I was especially on point with the Rokstedi this time, pulling off some insane kills. I’ll be posting the videos over the next few days if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Some folks who were there. There were a few other very good players who’s names I can’t remember right now:

Red Bandito
Romeo
Keaton
Komat$u
Warcry
Vnels

(rookie1) #197

I was stunt to see on gametracker Brink down to 25 servers only with about 50 players worldwide …This game doesnt deserve this …not at all

(njezic) #198

After action for the Brink on Steam these days, availability servers is considerably increased, it is excellent and we hope that this trend will continue. Now it can be even up to 5-6 servers (16 players) totally full, and I can not connect to most popular servers when I want it…:slight_smile:

Hi RT1 !

(RT1) #199

Oh, um, hello.

Yeah, the massive increase in players is interesting. What happened, I wonder?

And about the videos I said I’d be posting, I still have them available but I’m having a bit of trouble working on them as I recorded them in H.264 and most editing programs don’t support the format. Shame too; the recordings are almost identical in quality and framerate to what I see in-game.

As much as I don’t want to, I’ll have to convert them first if I’m to edit them in Sony Vegas.

(zenstar) #200

VirtualDub
Not sure if that’ll do it but it handles a great many things.