Who owns ETQW? The last remaining question...

(Breo) #41

Why would you pay 3/4? In that case you can better just buy it. But it’s probably not even on sale and what do you want to do with it? I assume that you’re not a publisher or video game developer?

(stroggsoldier) #42

If the offer is well enough Zenimax would sell it, but like i said i dont think it’ll go for less than several grand. Probably hundred even or more.

(Nail) #43

it’s not for sale

(stroggsoldier) #44

How do you know? Do you work for zenimax?

(Mustang) #45

If they won’t license it to anyone, odds are it’s even less likely they’ll sell it.

(cloudhalo) #46

omg thats so cheap, thought it be around 6 figures(200+), and to breo I wont do anything I would just help rex in his purchase since rex is more into game development and, I’m pretty sure knows how to make etqw live a little longer; also I dont want to make the whole purchase for my own personal reasons, although its not a bad idea to make the whole purchase but then who would I give it too. Yep, i dont have connections or know anything about game development.

(cloudhalo) #47

I dont understand that reasoning, i mean the game wasn’t even that big compared to others at the time, why do they then hold it in such high regards, in terms of licensing and selling, and 50k for a dead game? Makes no sense. Should be worth under 20k.

(rorgoroth) #48

“Muh intellectual property!”

(Kl3ppy) #49

something doesnt need to be on sale. If the price is right you can buy almost everything even when it’s not on sale :wink:

(stroggsoldier) #50

Exactly, you just have to meet the price and they will sell it. I dont know how much will that be though. ETQW might be a dead game, but it has the quake brand, and that makes it valuable. It also is a succesor to the very revered Wolf:ET brand, which is valuable too.

(Nail) #51

Yes it’s very valuable, and neither id Software nor Zenimax want some asshat destroying their intellectual property and possibly screwing the Quake and W:ET names up. You not understanding is obvious, you’re totally clueless. And no, not everything is for sale, that’s just in fairytales, TV and “B” movies

(stroggsoldier) #52

Yes, id and zenimax have been destroying their own brands pretty much by themselves and they dont need any help. :slight_smile: And sorry to burst your bubble, but to Zenimax’s suits those brands are just products, theyre not as highly regarded by them as they are by you. If you name their price they will sell it.

(Nail) #53

they won’t even license the engine, it’s not for sale
they have no price, it’s just not worth it
sorry to burst your bubble, but you have no clue

(stroggsoldier) #54

Dont think that because i didn’t reply earlier I agreed with your posts. You’re wrong. id/Zenimax will license their tech to anyone if the price is right. Frozen Sand, the developers of Urban Terror got a id tech 3 license in 2011 from id/Zenimax, which had been GPL for years. They do license their engines. Theyre businesses, they like dough like everyone else, except maybe you. You have no clue. Sorry, bye.

(Nail) #55

id Tech 4 and 5 are only in house engines, you must be a Zenimax partner and develop solely for Zenimax/Bethesda

Frozen Sand uses ioquake 3 engine for Urban Terror and was released in 2007 as a stand alone game, at least get one fact straight

there is no licensing involved, you really should research your statements

quote from Frozensand:

"our negotiations with id Software to get a contract were not going anywhere. We were told for several years that we would have a (relatively) cheap contract for a multi-platform game and what we got after the long wait was a two-years-only Windows-only expensive and restrictive contract. We couldn’t sign it. "

final point:
No one is going to buy Quake Wars, it’s just not for sale

(REA987) #56

[QUOTE=Rex;501858]
Activisions response:

The guy on the phone from Activision totally misunderstood my question. I had to tell him the game title several times, but he has never heard of it before neither of Quake.
So as second attempt after I told them that my question was wrote down wrong I finally received a real answer.

My question (sent 18.06.14):

First official repsonse from the German Activision Support (20.06.14):

Either Activision doesn’t even know that this game ever existed, the responsible persons already left the company, or they don’t care anymore.
It was only the response of the German support though. So I will contact their global support next, if possible.

Phoned Zenimax again to ask for the status of my inquiry and they said it’s still in work, but I should receive an answer in 1-2 days.

ZeniMax response:

My question (sent 16.06.14):

Official repsonse from the German Zenimax Support (26.06.14):

Finally someone actually confesses to ETQW. What they haven’t answered is whether they own the full rights alone.[/QUOTE]

Good job receiving answers from Both Activition and ZeniMax. For Activition, they are so dumb that they cannot even be sure if they have any rights of their well known releases. They probably use their copyright and patent documents as toilet paper.

(rookie1) #57

It Would be so normal That Splash Damage Buy all the rights of ET:QW .
They Have all the contacts list and the money and they Know the community concern and desires .
They Have a certain experience with Dirty Bomb and Nexon contract.
It would be a Big News in the gaming industry …if SD bring back ET:QW on STEAM and work meanwhile on ET:QW 2
Make ET:QW great Again :stroggbanana::penguin::stroggtapir:
SD pull up your sleeves and make it Happend

(CaliberWorkz) #58

Quake Wars 2 ; the only game that is more anticipated than Half Life 3 :tongue::smiley:

(REA987) #59

[QUOTE=rookie1;566289]It Would be so normal That Splash Damage Buy all the rights of ET:QW .
They Have all the contacts list and the money and they Know the community concern and desires .
They Have a certain experience with Dirty Bomb and Nexon contract.
It would be a Big News in the gaming industry …if SD bring back ET:QW on STEAM and work meanwhile on ET:QW 2[/QUOTE]

That is legally and financially not a strong possibility. First of all, why would they? Why would Splash Damage divide its playerbase into 2 similar games instead of single game with a somewhat healthy playerbase? They may not look similar but both Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Brink and Dirty Bomb are similar games in foundation; “Objective Focused, Class-based, Team FPS”. As SD’s own property is doing okay, I hardly expect them to shoot themselves in the foot by dividing the playerbase as well as working force into two titles.

Moreover, legally it is not easy for Bethesda to yield game’s rights to a third party company. You know, there are plenty of ZeniMax’s trademarked properties involved such as terms Quake, Enemy Territory, Strogg, Raingun etc… Besides, as I mentioned in this forum before, Bethesda is investing heavily for somewhat similar named Quake Champions; it would be a bit naive them to allow any unintended brand confusion.

(rookie1) #60

[QUOTE=REA987;566304]That is legally and financially not a strong possibility. First of all, why would they? Why would Splash Damage divide its playerbase into 2 similar games instead of single game with a somewhat healthy playerbase? They may not look similar but both Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Brink and Dirty Bomb are similar games in foundation; “Objective Focused, Class-based, Team FPS”. As SD’s own property is doing okay, I hardly expect them to shoot themselves in the foot by dividing the playerbase as well as working force into two titles.

Moreover, legally it is not easy for Bethesda to yield game’s rights to a third party company. You know, there are plenty of ZeniMax’s trademarked properties involved such as terms Quake, Enemy Territory, Strogg, Raingun etc… Besides, as I mentioned in this forum before, Bethesda is investing heavily for somewhat similar named Quake Champions; it would be a bit naive them to allow any unintended brand confusion.[/QUOTE]
Sorry But I don’t agree with your post …anyway only SD could tell if they would be Hype to do it and if it’s feasible …and They wont stop doing Games thinking it will split players base …They do games to Gain more players … Personnaly from all the SD titles, et:qw is the only game that i’m interesting ,the rest I don’t play them