Was introducing Katana the biggest mistake?

(TheStrangerous) #1

Just a fun “what if” topic, regarding an AU scenario, where Phantom didn’t have katana.

Do you honestly think, the main reason Phantom was ruined, was because of the katana?
The constant portrayal of the melee merc-backstabber, the abilities he had back in closed beta (like front thrust), or katana being primary weapon instead of SMG (which he lacked).

If he had, say Kukri instead of katana (which would give him a slasher movie villain vibe), how would the whole thing turn out? Funny to think the katana cause a butterfly effect to his demise.

(nokiII) #2

Was introducing Katana the biggest mistake?

Not the biggest, but it’s pretty bad.

(GatoCommodore) #3

the only thing that makes katana not worth the risk is the running speed when equipping it.

if only katana is ability only slash (e.g. press E to slash or Q to slash) and the Cloak is automatically used with no cooldown but phantom will still be very visible if you sprint or jump.

but thats just my opinion. Surely katana has place among the melee weapons.

(Your worst knifemare.) #4

At this point im pretty sure its the peoples fault with their abuse of it instead of Phantom (and kira).

(SaulWolfden) #5

The biggest problem was trying to push that he’s supposed to main the weapon, which he isn’t supposed to. It’s far more useful to headshot people out of cloak instead of katana them. I only use the katana to finish people off and melee people if they are near said person I finished off.

(watsyurdeal) #6

Pretty much this, along with adding onto a guy who can move at higher speeds than Thunder yet tank as much damage with the armor active. His armor itself isn’t a bad idea but being able to attack while cloaked is.

(TheStrangerous) #7

DB used to be slower paced:

No wonder Phantom was lost in translation to fast paced shooter.

(watsyurdeal) #8

Yea, there’s a lot of remnants of that here, such as the TTK and the spread.

I’d happily have a slower ttk, for a more consistent ttk. Basically the guns will be easier to learn and use properly. Right now the guns are just far too random imo.

(ostmustis) #9

katana wasnt the misstake, phantom was.

(BlackboltLW) #10

Katana isn’t a mistake, introducing katana to Kira, however, is a mistake

(TheStrangerous) #11

Bet nobody tried playing Kira meleeing hard with Cricket Bat before, when Gen 1 cards were only available ones. Quite certain the effects are the same Kiratana.

(hoyes) #12

Just yes

(GatoCommodore) #13

i scrapped my cobalt cricket bat kira back in the early hours of the catastrophe new crafting system in hope to get the new cobalt katana kira…

turns out… i will never get that card back…

(JJMAJR) #14

Katana wasn’t a mistake, X was.

Easy reputation points.

(Raven_Marine) #15

Katana is not a mistake nor is phantom, people just only try to melee people with phantom all the time is the mistake (and not learning how to play phantom)

(Raven_Marine) #16

Katana is not a mistake nor is phantom, people just only try to melee people with phantom all the time is the mistake (and not learning how to play phantom)

(ThunderZsolt) #17

B… But…
The B84 loadout is sooo much fun. The quickdraw augment is the key - nobody expects getting cut in half by a Kira who was holding a rifle just a moment ago.

One burst + a quick slash takes care of most mercanaries (with a headshot burst this combo even kills Fragger) and it is easy to pull off (= also works when drunk), takes about the same time as firing a second burst, and the only one thing I find more annoying is a Proxy shooting her own mines.

Too bad that against good players only works from behind, otherwise they kill me way before I get close.

(GabebutGood) #18

Do you think theres way to buff phantom to capture that lurk melee style that feels better then it currently does, or how would you buff/change phantom to make him fit more in?

(Szakalot) #19

lurk style is useless and doesnt fit this game at all. Phantom DOES work as a ‘shoot first’ peek-a-boom merc currently, but simply doesnt have enough tools to stand out compared to stuff like redeye or snipes

(watsyurdeal) #20

@Szakalot said:
lurk style is useless and doesnt fit this game at all. Phantom DOES work as a ‘shoot first’ peek-a-boom merc currently, but simply doesnt have enough tools to stand out compared to stuff like redeye or snipes

I’d have to agree with that, though I really dislike game mechanics that allow shooting while cloaked.

They’re either too easy to see, which ruins the whole point, or they are too hard to see, and it’s incredibly frustrating. The only game I’ve seen it work though is Tribes Ascend, and only because that game was INSANELY fast and vertical. Even if the Infiltrator is invisible there is so much spacing there.