View kick changes are terrible.

(Tanker_Ray) #41

@watsyurdeal said:
Seems like very little changed, but my issue is that the crosshair moves at all. Really aimpunch should only be a visual thing in a hipfire focused game like this.

The real movement of the crosshair should be while aiming down sights, this way suppressive fire on Snipers actually makes it harder for them to land headshots.

THIS.

(woodchip) #42

I’ve been using focus, but it doesn’t feel like much changed except maybe I’m paying more attention to aimpunch. Can anyone confirm that the Hochfir punch is noticeably less? I still feel like Hochfir specifically makes my aim go to hell.

(GatoCommodore) #43

@Eox said:

@nokiII said:
@Eox
new aimpunch: https://streamable.com/73n1c
old aimpunch: https://streamable.com/737ts

I personally don’t think the change has made it any better at all.

Feels like it barely changed. I can’t notice anything really.

its more noticeable on Guardian Hurtsall 2K
its hochfir kick on steroid.

(pumpkinmeerkat) #44

@Eox said:

@nokiII said:
@Eox
new aimpunch: https://streamable.com/73n1c
old aimpunch: https://streamable.com/737ts

I personally don’t think the change has made it any better at all.

Feels like it barely changed. I can’t notice anything really.

When playing the difference is substantial. It’s also a change that made something more jarring and RNG than it was already. There are plenty of players who could care less about view-kick but I don’t think there are ANY players that wanted more RNG added to a core component of the game. I think @Exedore still owes us a better explanation than the awful one (sorry but it was) he gave in dev Q&A vid.

I’d be fine with the view kick either being purely visual or the amount of kick being reduced without stacking.

(woodchip) #45

Yeah it’s time to talk about how to reduce the viewkick RNG. It should not increase bloom and it should not make you miss otherwise pixel perfect shots. Right now it does IMO.

Some ideas:

1. Frontload view kick

This would be keep something like the current viewkick model but with rapidly diminishing returns. Say something like current non-focus for the first few shots, then focus after the 5th shot, and down from there. Getting the jump would still give a view kick bonus, but much less of the total duel time would be spent getting RNG pinged around.

1. Have all viewkick ‘stack’.

Something we noticed from this patch is that the ‘stacking’ effect actually made viewkick feel smoother in a lot of cases, which ironically often felt better and more controllable. So one approach might be to SLOW the per shot view ‘kick’ but lower or even remove viewkick reset. So say it takes 2x as long for your cursor to fully move to the kick point, and the effect ‘stacks’. Which would make firing under viewkick involves compensating for a more predictable kick tendancy.

Weakness with this idea is that it’s not very frontloaded.

1. Only visual viewkick

I think this option is overrated, because changing the fundamental rule that your bullets go where your cursor points takes a lot out of how good the shooting feels. But it would definitely alleviate the issues for competitive players, which is a big plus.

1. Remove the headshot viewkick bonus

Getting headshots is already very rewarding, but the damage bonus doesn’t interact well with view kick. If your opponent is good enough to drill your head you are (it feels) at the mercy of RNG to hit their head back at some ranges, no matter your tracking. Getting rid of the bonus would be a way to nerf the most extreme forms of viewkick without changing its general function.

1 downside would be lowering the effect of skill.

1. Just nerf it

Make 20% focus default, 30% focus as the augment. Focus in general is extremely overpowered as far as augments go. As in you’d trade almost any 2 other augments for focus.

Current viewkick w/ focus doesn’t feel nearly as bad.

I’m sure there are other and better ideas, and because elements of these things can be combined with each other I’m sure we can find a more satisfying solution that accomplishes the first shot bonus and ‘under fire feel’ that viewkick is designed to achieve without compromising the joy of the gunplay as much as it does now.