Tweaking Dirty Bomb Config

(LuLNope) #1

Anyone sporting older rig might be interested in tweaking DB config to get a few additional fps. You will find the config file in C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config\ShooterEngine.ini

Usefull links to UE3 engine tweaking tutorials:
forums.tornbanner.com/showthread.php/17400-Tweak-Engine-ini-Tweaks-with-explanations
https://forums.epicgames.com/threads/937270-The-ULTIMATE-UDK-UE3-speed-tweak-guide

They’re extremely easy to understand. At the time I got access to these tutorials I knew absolutely nothing about tweaking UE3 cfgs and after following what’s written in them I managed to get decent results on my first try.

Finished Configs:
1.Performance config (February 21 DB build. 6th March - still works)

2.Performance config set for maximum smoothness (March 7th, even lower graphics, vsync on, framerate smoothing set to 60fps)

How to use it:
1.Open file explorer and go here: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config
2. Make a backup of your original config file (ShooterEngine.ini).
3. Rename the downloaded config to ShooterEngine.ini and copy it over your old config. Make sure not to delete backup by mistake.
4. Open the file in notepad and search for ‘ResX’, change this and ResY that’s right below it to whatever is your resolution. Save changes.
5. Right click on the ShooterEngine.ini -> properties -> set it to read only.

It might push average fps to the smooth side on older setups at the price of terrible graphics Mercs are still easily recognizable. This is not the absolutely lowest you can get, but it’s pretty close.

EDIT: Make sure to set framerate smoothing in 2nd config to match your display refresh rate. Actual performance using 2nd config will probably be worse but game will feel a lot smoother regardless.

After applying the config game will look like this:
Cfg 1, Trainyard

(bubblesKeyboard) #2

Good stuff!!

(intenseRuby) #3

I’ve been using your FPS config for a while and never gave you props. Thanks for much for this! Even if my FPS weren’t terrible with better graphics, I’d much prefer the simple visuals from this config. Less “clutter” and useless detail is still best for popping heads.

(cosmopolitanSponge) #4

well let’s hope this works… thanks by the way!

(appreciativeBuster) #5

Cvar/Cmd List please :stuck_out_tongue:

(sturdyPickle) #6

@appreciativeBuster +1 on this, and thanks OP! :smiley:

(pumpaloaf) #7

Thanks @LulNope, I’ll be trying this config out for sure. It’s definitely time for me to upgrade, my rig struggled with the last DB test. It felt really sluggish and was a bit of a slide show sometimes (I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn) but I tried to make the best of it by playing supply pig and pushing objectives.

(appreciativeBuster) #8

I am nub.

(appreciativeBuster) #9

Low fps config ftw D:

(LuLNope) #10

[quote=“appreciativeBuster;8986”]First config i’s absolute shite for FPS, everything is on…

Owell I can only get 30fps max on lowest settings, guess it’s no competition for me.[/quote]

I actually checked that config because of that post. Everything is disabled as it should be. People, please, read the ‘How to use’ part that’s right below the finished configs. AppreciativeBuster clearly didn’t read it…

(Looms) #11

This is getting fucking retarded. 3rd obvious cheater during this beta, i have my suspicions for another 3. Xigncode3 is just useless at the moment.

zapodaj.net/6c7b4301539c0.jpg.html

(cosmopolitanSponge) #12

mmmmmm… I think I need to a how-to video, I think I did something wrong… do I need to hide my backup somehow?

(CaRe) #13

As far as I know, you can’t make a backup by just copy-pasting your config into the same folder. At least I think I ran into problems when I did that.

I’m currently struggling to find the bindings I create ingame in the ini files. I would like to be able to add my own binds (e.g. sensitivity toggle, fov change while holding down the use button, etc…) again. When I add an alternative key, the setting does not seem to be reflected in any of the ini files anymore. Adding my binds as I did 2-3 updates ago, it resulted in me not being able to do anything ingame (WASD, ESC, etc… everything was unbound…).

So, was anyone able to add their own bindings somewhere in the ini files with the current update?

(Fake nick) #14

Follow my steps:

1. inside C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config\ create new folder called backup
  2. copy ShooterEngine.ini to backup folder
  3. open link from first post Performance config (February 21 DB build. 6th March - still works)
  4. In the new opened window from point 3 select all lines (from 1 to 1462) and copy them
  5. open C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\My Games\UnrealEngine3\ShooterGame\Config\ShooterEngine.ini and select all that’s inside this file, press del to remove it.
  6. Now past everything from point4.
  7. check your resolution following instruction in first post
  8. save and close.
  9. check properties of the shooterengine.ini and mark read only.
  10. close properties and start db

If after this it still not gonna work, switch off your pc and burn it because it is probably possessed by the devil

(appreciativeBuster) #15

I did all that. :wink: Config seems resetting?

(pretentiousRake) #16

[left][quote=“Looms;9248”]This is getting fucking retarded. 3rd obvious cheater during this beta, i have my suspicions for another 3. Xigncode3 is just useless at the moment.

zapodaj.net/6c7b4301539c0.jpg.html
[/quote]

I remember that, I was in the match when he came in and started headshoting everyone, changing his name every other second, insulting us.
I hope there are plans to stop this kinda thing, I would really hate to see another game populated by hackers with no means of stopping them.[/left]

(cosmopolitanSponge) #17

@“Fake nick” ok I think I learned something… two ini’s don’t work… one does xd

(appreciativeBuster) #18

Can I /Exec the .ini file somewhere?

It really does nothing but turn all my settings on
and no fps change

(cosmopolitanSponge) #19

@appreciativeBuster I think it’s already an ini, I think you should remove the ini thing in that file and just move the one that keeps on being added, THAT IS WHAT I LEARNED

(appreciativeBuster) #20

IT WORKED

THANK YOU FAKENICK, CFG GOD

60FPS

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTf23ru-oLqEafQYoLujlMnwYaM2JfjluZ5kq45awSv8-MTspe6VggySdk

goodbye sunlight