The last remnant of "competitive" gaming in Quake Wars

(Chronicler) #1

Greetings!

This thread will be about The Art of Warfares internal tournament called “Battle for Earth”, the format
of which I will describe at the end.

In three months it will be 2 years since I joined TAW EU, in that time, in this game which as we all know
is slowing down, I have managed to more than double our membership, and gotten in some really great players, both in personality and otherwise, today we have 29 active members in TAW EU.

The amount of players brought in, their activity, and due to many large donations to TAW EU, we have managed to increase the scope of our internal tournament and managed to have great prizes as well.

For example only 4 months ago now I won an geforce gtx 780TI, which was great, most expensive component of my new computer taken care of! Rex is jealous, which is also good.

The donations take many forms, also in donations for our servers, our dedicated server is now paid up for 1.5 years, which makes everything a little easier.

Let’s get back on track here. I’m hoping to continue to increase the size of TAW EU Quake Wars, to increase the scope of our internal tournament, and to keep some kind of competitive games still going in Quake Wars, and to have prizes as often as possible.

I think the more people we get, the more interesting it will be for other people to participate.

So how does our internal tournament Battle for Earth function?

Well for example in our upcoming BFE, which will be our 26th, we will have 4 teams, names of teams are Hellraisers, Mad Dogs, Warheads and Roughknecks.

TAW has a bit of a unique perspective on team composition and rules.

What we do is that we pre-select four willing team leaders, that then draft their team from a player pool of 20 players of different skill levels through a draft sequence. That way we get 6 people on each team, and since it’s a draft we also get more balanced teams.

The remaining players of TAW EU will act as reserve players, if someone can’t make it to an event, we call these players “floaters”, floater selection is usually done by team with last points having first pick.

We will play on modified promod servers which we call “pro vehicle” servers, the suggested limitations for our next BFE will be no flyers, limitations on heavy vehicles, and limitations on sniper rifle, rocket launcher and gpmg (vice versa for strogg).

It will run as a series or league for perhaps 1-2 months, using a point-based system based on taking objectives.

Any existing prize will be awarded in a lottery in the winning team.

If you just want to see how TAW EU functions, come play with us as a guest :slight_smile:

The more we grow, the more we can increase the scope of our internal tournament, and after that I think, the more players will come back or try out Quake Wars :slight_smile:

Anyone interested to join as a guest or join TAW e-mail me at chronicler@taw.net :slight_smile:

(Snotling) #2

Looks nice, I will talk about it to my mates ! See you soon.

(Khamul) #3

Idea is cool, but i don’t think you can gather more people :confused: . Unfortunately my qw is broken again (what a news :stuck_out_tongue: ) . Nevertheless i will talk to my old niggaz from

(Snotling) #4

Hum, a couple of teams of old niggaz playing their broken QW after ages without playing the game… This would definitly look like a brawl in a nursing home. I’m in.