The Danger of All This New Content

(hawkeyeguy99) #1

Before I start, please don’t misunderstand me. I love how much content is coming out as of late. It’s something I have been complaining about for a long time and it’s finally not an issue. But I’m worried about what specifically the new Merc and weapon release schedule will do to the game.

Every time a new merc is released it upsets the meta of the game rather drastically (aka Javelin) and then settles after about a month as people figure out the niches these new mercs fill and how they play with other team members. The same goes for weapons. There’s no way around this it’s just how it is with new releases.

Here’s the issue though, at the rate they said they are going to be releasing mercs and weapons the game is going to be in a state of constant meta shift with never really a time to settle. This is the problem Paladins has fallen into and why I stopped playing that game. I never got a chance to really get to learn the new hero before the next one was released and the meta shifted again. I’m worried the same thing is going to happen with Dirty Bomb, the game is never going to have a stable meta because new mercs and weapons will be flooding the game at a constant pace which means we will never get a solid meta for a long time until they finally call it good and start working on minorly balancing everything.

Suggestion to avoid the problem? Space it out more. Maybe a new one every 3 months and in the in-between release maps, gamemodes, balance updates, customization items, and events.

(Szakalot) #2

meh

the only real meta is: shoot the enemy in the head

Good players immediately became good javelins/turtles, bad players stay bad

more mercs and weapons is nice for variety and it sure upsets balance, but its not like there was ever a moment where some mercs werent 20-30% more powerful than others.

in chaos, more chaos can only be good

(TheStrangerous) #3

I dunno.

The whole 2016 was a huge drought in new content.
I mean, apart from new sniper and 2 execution maps (and sure Summer Squash), it was very stale…
While in 2017 (The second half at least), everything’s making up for it.

Yeah, we got disproportionate balance in released content.

(AlbinMatt) #4

Well, here’s an analogy to think about.

Would you rather have a 7 Richter earthquake every two months for the next year.

Or

Have a 10 Richter earthquake in a month?

(FishRolls) #5

This is a beta game, so of course they should get as much content in as possible. In fact I’m sad the devs feel they need to have a completely seperate server to test content when that’s what the base game is supposed to be for. Somehow they thought release Javalin’s missile launcher was okay since it got through the test server, but now that it’s being nerfed that’s obviously not the case.

(GatoCommodore) #6

-lack of content

BOOO

-flood of content

BOOO
nothing really ever pleases the crowd…

(Press E) #7

@GatoCommodore said:
-lack of content

BOOO

-flood of content

BOOO
nothing really ever pleases the crowd…

A healthy dose of generalization washed down with a glass of straw man argument.

In 2016, there was almost no new content added to the game. Now the devs are making up by releasing new content extremely fast. Obviously both are bad, what we need is a balance, which is exactly what OP was suggesting.

Besides, the people who want more mercs are not the same people who don’t want more mercs. Of course generalizing an entire playerbase won’t make sense.

I hate to be the ‘it’s still in beta’ guy, but I imagine this may be why and the best argument in favor of it if they do plan to release these things as scheduled. That and last year’s drought as mentioned above plus removing Nexon from the equation may be a spark they needed as well. If and when this game hits whatever you’d like to call a ‘full launch’, I’m sure the changes won’t be as frequent which will leave plenty of time for the meta to settle down. I think from that point on a new merc every 6 months to a year would be ideal.

(Eox) #9

Paladins has “fallen” ? Last time I checked that game was still the 4th most played F2P on Steam.

Those worries are also, in my honest opinion, rather misplaced. By the time Javelin came out, we already managed to get a full balance pass on all mercs and weapons. Granted, some changes were rather underwhelming, but a good batch were rather decent. They even made Javelin changes that were a nice step in the good direction. Not enough in my opinion though, but it helped nicely so far. They can release a bit more content at this point. Two new weapons shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

(LifeupOmega) #10

Not like there’s an actual meta anyway with comp being as dead as it is and ranked, aside from being a joke with no merc limits, not allowing new mercs in until, I assume, the next season.

You think the average pub is gonna care that there’s one new merc that might upset this imaginary meta? No, they see new guns, new character to play, and get excited.

(Guziol) #11

Good. I hate the meta.

(hawkeyeguy99) #12

@Eox said:
Paladins has “fallen” ? Last time I check that game was still the 4th most played F2P on Steam.

I meant that more as a reason I stopped playing, I know it’s still popular. I just got tired of trying to learn/git gud at a new hero only to have another one released before I could really learn where that hero fit in a team composition. It kept happening over and over and I just gave up trying. I may go back at some point but the game is just in too much turmoil for me to want to play it.

(K1X455) #13

Constant meta shift… I like it.

Definitively better than a stale meta that has plagued Tom Clancy’s The Division.

(neverplayseriou) #14

Quality>Quantity.

(CO_Grit) #15

SD is putting that Chicken Money to work, and it shows. For all we know some of this content could have been withheld during Nexon’s reign over the game. But shoe himself said that SD is constantly growing, from hiring way more employees to even having to move into a bigger building because of it. I think these guys are up to the task to crank out content at a reasonable rate. And like many have said, the meta will sort itself out. And sure getting flash banged in Paladins over and over sucked or dodging 4 missiles at once in DB was kind of lame when Jav first came out, but like all new stuff people get bored of it and mix it around.

(WatchAsILead) #16

This guy always has something to complain about, always jumping at the shadows and trying to find a reason to hate the game or be upset at the game or something. The game is fine, they said they were adding a new merc every 5-7 weeks until the end of the year or something like that. Thats like 2 or 3 mercs. Then 6 months after we get the last merc there will be a new meta and everything will be fine. Logic dude.

And then later on you comment that you stopped playing Paladins because the meta was constantly changing. In your original post you made it seem like Paladins was a failure because of the problem YOU had, talk about trying to stretch the truth to fit your agenda.

It’s just interesting how you try to suggest a fix to a problem that no one is having except for you. Stop trying to make devs change the game to revolve around you and only you.

(watsyurdeal) #17

A few months ago: We need more new content

Now: We need less content

(TheStrangerous) #18

If 2016 was the great drought of DB.
Then 2017 is the great flooding of DB.
That means 2018 will be in between, or something worse, both drought and flooding at the same time.

(blufflord) #19

@TheStrangerous said:
If 2016 was the great drought of DB.
Then 2017 is the great flooding of DB.
That means 2018 will be in between, or something worse, both drought and flooding at the same time.

2018 will be the coming of rnJesus

(hawkeyeguy99) #20

@WatchAsILead said:
This guy always has something to complain about, always jumping at the shadows and trying to find a reason to hate the game or be upset at the game or something. The game is fine, they said they were adding a new merc every 5-7 weeks until the end of the year or something like that. Thats like 2 or 3 mercs. Then 6 months after we get the last merc there will be a new meta and everything will be fine. Logic dude.

And then later on you comment that you stopped playing Paladins because the meta was constantly changing. In your original post you made it seem like Paladins was a failure because of the problem YOU had, talk about trying to stretch the truth to fit your agenda.

It’s just interesting how you try to suggest a fix to a problem that no one is having except for you. Stop trying to make devs change the game to revolve around you and only you.

1st, chill. You’ve been on this forum for barely a month and haven’t even logged in more than a hundred times. You don’t even know me so chill with the “this guy always ____”.

2nd, I LITERALLY said in my post it’s why “I stopped playing” Paladins. That’s an opinion that I shared, not presented as fact or truth. Learn to read before you try shit-talking people.

3rd, Other people have already agreed with me that quality is better than quantity so I don’t know where you get off saying “no one else has this problem” cause you’re way off base.

4th, nearly every post you’ve made in the last month or so is bad-mouthing other people and their opinions. No one wants or needs that on the forums so either learn how to contribute to the conversation without attacking people personally or take your toxic self to Reddit.