The Byblos maps will be released

(Mateos) #41

If your model is dynamic (I see you want to change it), it has to be a misc_gamemodel: misc_model is compiled inside the map without the possibility to change it (you can only remap its shader through map script, excepted if it is an ET novelty?)

(ronboy) #42

Actually, for Rtcw SP mapping, I have found Q3map to be better than Q3map2. While it’s true that the lighting quality isn’t that good in Q3map, there are fewer limitations overall, from my experience. In addition to other limitations, Q3map2 has the annoying shader overflow bug, which is apparently easier to get in SP maps than MP maps.

This is one of the reasons why I’m interested in the ioRTCW engine; many bugs are fixed, with hopefully more to be fixed in the future. :slight_smile:

About your problem with the md3 model, try changing it to a misc_gamemodel, as suggested above by Mateos.

(sd2009) #43

[QUOTE=ronboy;530891]Actually, for Rtcw SP mapping, I have found Q3map to be better than Q3map2. While it’s true that the lighting quality isn’t that good in Q3map, there are fewer limitations overall, from my experience. In addition to other limitations, Q3map2 has the annoying shader overflow bug, which is apparently easier to get in SP maps than MP maps.

This is one of the reasons why I’m interested in the ioRTCW engine; many bugs are fixed, with hopefully more to be fixed in the future. :slight_smile:

About your problem with the md3 model, try changing it to a misc_gamemodel, as suggested above by Mateos.[/QUOTE]

Ronboy how can you say that q3map has fewer limitations? I had to remove all my ASEs, half of my MD3s, and on top of those the q3map complains about my brushes and does not compile the map. I am interested in what you know about q3map. q3map2 did not complain at all about all these components mentioned above.

@Mateos Could you please tell me how to assign a shader to a MD3 model in detail and step by step? I know how to create a shader with textures and assign it to brushes with rtcw but not to MD3 models. Thank you for the tip with misc_gamemodel. I should have tried it but I did not know that misc_gamemodel may be replaced but the other type (misc_model) may not be replaced.

(ronboy) #44

[QUOTE=sd2009;530895]Ronboy how can you say that q3map has fewer limitations? I had to remove all my ASEs, half of my MD3s, and on top of those the q3map complains about my brushes and does not compile the map. I am interested in what you know about q3map. q3map2 did not complain at all about all these components mentioned above.
[/QUOTE]

At least for me, Q3map seems to be more reliable. Most importantly, with Q3map, maps can be made much larger and detailed when compared to Q3map2-compiled maps. If it wasn’t for the shader overflow bug, Q3map2 would be more suitable for Rtcw SP mapping.

(sd2009) #45

Hi Ronboy,

My experience with q3map proves exactly the opposite, unfortunately. I have bad news for Mateos. The phenomenon is still there even with misc_gamemodel. Is this a bug? The models are switched correctly but the nails disappear as soon as I get close to them.

(Mateos) #46

There are remapshader and remapshaderflush keywords for the .script file in ET, dunno for RtCW
remapshader shader_to_replace new_shader

Used for instance when the misc_gamemodel such as vehicles change of state (damaged/repaired)

If you want to edit the model’s shader manually in the model file itself, you have Q3 Model Tool:

Weird >< Perhaps provide a little test map with this model, see if it happens too in it, and if so share that sample so people can mess with it?

@ronboy If you’re willing to can you send me a map sample which can’t be compiled with Q3Map2?

(ronboy) #47

[QUOTE=sd2009;530980]Hi Ronboy,

My experience with q3map proves exactly the opposite, unfortunately.[/QUOTE]

You know what they say: to each his own. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Mateos;530995]
@ronboy If you’re willing to can you send me a map sample which can’t be compiled with Q3Map2?[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that I have such a map in my collection of maps, sorry. All of the maps that I do have compile with Q3map2, but a few have the shader overflow bug.

(sd2009) #48

[QUOTE=Mateos;530995]There are remapshader and remapshaderflush keywords for the .script file in ET, dunno for RtCW
remapshader shader_to_replace new_shader

Used for instance when the misc_gamemodel such as vehicles change of state (damaged/repaired)

If you want to edit the model’s shader manually in the model file itself, you have Q3 Model Tool:

Weird >< Perhaps provide a little test map with this model, see if it happens too in it, and if so share that sample so people can mess with it?

@ronboy If you’re willing to can you send me a map sample which can’t be compiled with Q3Map2?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hints. I must finish my last map now. After I finish, I might create a sample map with that model in it and publish it. But this is not my question. The question is: How to assign a shader to a md3 model? Not how to remap a new shader.

@ronboy
You are right about that, “to each his own”.

(-SSF-Sage) #49

Import your model here. Rename the shader. Export. Very simple program.

Or do same with this far less simple one, but which has far more other features:

PS. Preferably export with a new name for the model OFC.

(sd2009) #50

[QUOTE=-SSF-Sage;531059]http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=1856

Import your model here. Rename the shader. Export. Very simple program.

Or do same with this far less simple one, but which has far more other features:

PS. Preferably export with a new name for the model OFC.[/QUOTE]

Thanks SSF-Sage, I shall try it.

I have two good news for you all. I found the offending brushes that bothered q3map. I shall continue with q3map2 though, because it is the better compiler. It accepts very detailed maps without complaining and it has the better lighting.

The next good news is that I am getting closer to the testing phase. I must add just a few AIs more and do some scripting. When I finish, we can start testing.

One more important issue. Was anyone able to figure out the scale of gtkradiant for rtcw in meters or feet? I am a bit confused about the scale. The doors in rtcw maps are huge in my perception. The models (players) are relatively speaking too tiny. Mr. Elusive, I believe that he is the developer or programmer of the AAS (area) tool. He mentions that the player box (info_player_start) is bound by a box with 30 x 30 units and has a height of 56 units. Does anyone know on what did he base these dimensions? I uploaded two screen shots to help you understand what I mean. According to what I see, the height of the box is more than 64 units (9 cubes in grid 8) and the length and width are about 36 units (4.5 cubes in grid 8). Does anyone know the dimensions in meters or feet of one square in grid 8? Of course, I want to have an exact number, no approximations please. I create my md3 models with gmax and I use the metric system but when I put them in my maps a two meters cylinder is about 4 meters long in the rtcw game. Where is the problem? Does the world in rtcw use another scale? Who knows the exact ratio or at least a close approximation.

Thanks.

(Mateos) #51

There’s a website about measures:
http://games.chruker.dk/enemy_territory/measurements.php

Can’t help much

(ronboy) #52

[QUOTE=sd2009;531157]
The next good news is that I am getting closer to the testing phase. I must add just a few AIs more and do some scripting. When I finish, we can start testing. [/QUOTE]

Good news, sd2009. I will gladly be one of the testers. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=sd2009;531157]
One more important issue. Was anyone able to figure out the scale of gtkradiant for rtcw in meters or feet? I am a bit confused about the scale. The doors in rtcw maps are huge in my perception. The models (players) are relatively speaking too tiny. Mr. Elusive, I believe that he is the developer or programmer of the AAS (area) tool. He mentions that the player box (info_player_start) is bound by a box with 30 x 30 units and has a height of 56 units. Does anyone know on what did he base these dimensions? I uploaded two screen shots to help you understand what I mean. According to what I see, the height of the box is more than 64 units (9 cubes in grid 8) and the length and width are about 36 units (4.5 cubes in grid 8). Does anyone know the dimensions in meters or feet of one square in grid 8? Of course, I want to have an exact number, no approximations please. I create my md3 models with gmax and I use the metric system but when I put them in my maps a two meters cylinder is about 4 meters long in the rtcw game. Where is the problem? Does the world in rtcw use another scale? Who knows the exact ratio or at least a close approximation.

Thanks.

[/QUOTE]

The issue of scaling with Rtcw is nothing new. I’ve seen other mappers mention this on some Rtcw forums and websites.
For some reason, other Quake 3 Arena engine games such as the Call of Duty series, and Medal of Honor Allied Assault don’t have scaling issues. :o

(sd2009) #53

@Mateos
Your link confirms my observations. The binding box of the player measures 72 x 36 x 36 units. Mr. Elusive confuses me most. In his file bspc.txt for 2.1H he wanted to assume that a human being is in average 1.75 meters high (a bit less than 6 feet). In another file, appc.htm that is distributed with gtkradiant 1.6.4 he mentions that the players in rtcw are a heroic 2.13 meters (about 7 feet) high. If we put Inge in rtcw near a door, she looks so tiny like a little girl. If she is really 2.13 meters, then the door must be at least 3.7 meters high. A standard door is about 2 meters (7 feet) high, more or less.

I am afraid that the scale will remain an open issue.

I would like very much to know the correct scale of gtkradiant for the purpose of precision. If you are a perfectionist, you must suffer.

@Ronboy
You are welcome to test but please do not rush and publish a review and reveal all the secrets. You will spoil the whole fun of the series. Let the gamers enjoy and try to guess. I have a high pile of surprises for them, especially in the map sp_Bybloscat1. I worked very hard on this map, although it could be much better. My next indoor map will be much better. sp_Bybloscat1 is my first indoor map. It contains 95% new textures, shaders, md3s, ases, sound, and much more. This map is unreal but wonderful. sp_bybloscat looked very much like crypt1 but it was not suitable for q3map2 -vis. sp_bybloscat1 is a heavily amended version of sp_bybloscat. The later will not be published. sp_bybloscat had a fps rate of poor 30 fps in some spots. sp_bybloscat1 boasts 125 fps (core i3 cpu), almost in every spot. You could get more but more than 125 fps are not suitable for some animations.

Thanks.

(ronboy) #54

[QUOTE=sd2009;531356]
@Ronboy
You are welcome to test but please do not rush and publish a review and reveal all the secrets. You will spoil the whole fun of the series. Let the gamers enjoy and try to guess. I have a high pile of surprises for them, especially in the map sp_Bybloscat1. I worked very hard on this map, although it could be much better. My next indoor map will be much better. sp_Bybloscat1 is my first indoor map. It contains 95% new textures, shaders, md3s, ases, sound, and much more. This map is unreal but wonderful. sp_bybloscat looked very much like crypt1 but it was not suitable for q3map2 -vis. sp_bybloscat1 is a heavily amended version of sp_bybloscat. The later will not be published. sp_bybloscat had a fps rate of poor 30 fps in some spots. sp_bybloscat1 boasts 125 fps (core i3 cpu), almost in every spot. You could get more but more than 125 fps are not suitable for some animations.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Don’t worry; I won’t write a review for a while. About how long would you like me to wait (after the final version of this project is released), before I write a review?
I’m looking forward to playing your project. :slight_smile:

(sd2009) #55

Hi Ronboy,

Let us observe the quantity of the downloads first. Maybe 3 months are sufficient.

Thanks.

(sd2009) #56

Hi Ronboy,

I have two good news for you and the gamers. The last map sp_Bybloscat1 is complete including the ai. I shall perform some tests today and tomorrow. Monday you should get a package from me. Please, test it with Vicpas and a small group of mappers and send me your feedback. The second good news is that the map is compiled with full options. It does not suffer from the shader overflow bug. Everything is ok.

(ronboy) #57

[QUOTE=sd2009;531650]Hi Ronboy,

I have two good news for you and the gamers. The last map sp_Bybloscat1 is complete including the ai. I shall perform some tests today and tomorrow. Monday you should get a package from me. Please, test it with Vicpas and a small group of mappers and send me your feedback. The second good news is that the map is compiled with full options. It does not suffer from the shader overflow bug. Everything is ok.[/QUOTE]

That’s great! Me and the other Rtcw fans out there are looking forward to playing your work. :slight_smile:

(sd2009) #58

Hi Ronboy,

Please, check your e-mail. I sent you the Return to Castle Byblos package. Please, start testing.

Thanks.

(ronboy) #59

[QUOTE=sd2009;402725]Hi,
I resumed the work on my Byblos project. When I finish, I will publish all the episodes (maps).
Vicpas prepare yourself for testing in a few weeks.
sd2009.[/QUOTE]

Hello sd2009. Good to see you back and mapping. :smiley:

(vicpas) #60

Hello, sd2009.
A mission pack is a great promisse.
It requires hard work and dedication I hope you can.