Terrain Problems Plz help :(

(SaintCrime) #1

Hello All,
I have gone over the terrain process for 3 days. I am able to use the terrain Mega textures from the game by changing the usemtl to say quarry etc… I still have not been able to create my own working terrain. I can make the Terrain just fine, just can’t texture it properly.

Heres what I need to know. Other than the SDK PAths, mine are both set to ETQW, where should the files I create go. Seems some go into SDK folders others go in Game folders. Also, Where do you place the Megatextures mapping texture pack? I have it in the SDK folders.

Also, can someone send me example files from successful terrain creation so I may have something to compare. It may be namings that are messed up or the files are in the wrong places. I get red errors telling me type can’t be found and others when creating Megatexture.
When I go in game it’s editor red and black and lags out.

I refuse to map till I get the terrain in. I did terrain years ago for RTCW but it seems different now.

I like mapping, I want to map for ETQW, but I want more than a flat map and hallways :slight_smile:

Just looking for advice on how to get my noob terrains working :slight_smile:

(Nail) #2

couple other tutorials

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/A_Simple_First_Terrain

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/A_Simple_First_Megatexture

front end

http://wiki.splashdamage.com/index.php/Main_Page

(SaintCrime) #3

Thanks for the respons Nail,

Yep those are the tutorials I have been using. I believe I am having a file issue. I went through both of those several times. Sadness fills me. :frowning:

(Donnovan) #4

This is a open source map for ETQW. May be you can take a look at the desirable files to give you ideas.

http://code.google.com/p/etqw-mapping/

Have you downloaded the texture pack from SD to make megatextures?

Also, this is another open source project, may be you can take a look:

http://code.google.com/p/etqw-map-andes/

If you want the Black&White masks, i can provide then.

(SaintCrime) #5

Hi all,
Would it be posible for someone who is great with succesful Terrain and Megatextures to help me out.
I could sent my terrain with a pic and description of how I am looking to texture the terrain.
Then after you set it up and make the mega texture mail it back to me?? This way I can get past this and just start mapping… Anyone able to do something like this?

I have done the tutorials 3 more times today and get surface type errors in the .stm or can’t find source textures. Seems that my terrain ends up Default Orange and lags out.

I think I may try moving my textures into the game folder and out of sdk…but is that right or wrong?

Well I will try some stuff and see if I can get this to work while I wait for help.

(SaintCrime) #6

[QUOTE=Donnovan;265068]This is a open source map for ETQW. May be you can take a look at the desirable files to give you ideas.

http://code.google.com/p/etqw-mapping/

Have you downloaded the texture pack from SD to make megatextures?

Also, this is another open source project, may be you can take a look:

http://code.google.com/p/etqw-map-andes/

If you want the Black&White masks, i can provide then.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, I will definately look at this.
Yes I have the Megatextures pack. Question though, does it need to be ijn SDK or Game?
Right now it’s in SDK.

(light_sh4v0r) #7

It’s been a long time since I did terrain work, let me see if I still have some old files. Will update.

(SaintCrime) #8

Thanks for checking:)

(light_sh4v0r) #9

I have an old terrain file here for which I have also created a megatexture.
I lost all the texturing though, so it’s just a bare .OBJ with currently the Quarry mega assigned to it.

I don’t think that’ll be of any help, but I could upload it if you like. I’m afraid there’s not much more I can do, I followed the wiki for generating the megatexture and figured it out in the end, but this is more than 2 years ago. Shame the old forums are lost :frowning:

(SaintCrime) #10

Thanks for checking. Yeah I’m able to use any premade megatexture with no problems, just having trouble making my own. Will post my errors soon maybe that will help.
I am going step by step from the tutorials at Mod wiki.

(SaintCrime) #11

OK, Update, Reinstalling both game and SDK so all files are fresh.

Where should the Megatextures Pack go? SDK or ETQW? Last time I had it in SDK.

Are there files that need to be moved to ETQW while working on maps or do I make a folder in ETQW or SDK with my map name.

Hmmm. Someone just post what you do/did to set up SDK, files etc… and begin mapping :slight_smile:

Sucks I am really good at level design, and love to map. Just can’t get this terrain issue out of the way :stuck_out_tongue:

(light_sh4v0r) #12

Well in theory you could just start mapping on your terrain, just pick the stock megatexture that’s closest to the look you want, that should at least get you going. I don’t know about where the textures go off the top of my head, but I’m sure that’s mentioned somewhere…

(SaintCrime) #13

Thanks.

I decided to uninstall both and look at where SDK wants to be installed. Think it was originally to go to the GAME Destination >> Program Files (x86)\id Software\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars
Yet my game is in Steam\steamapps\common\Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars

This may be the issue.

Does the SDK go where the game is??

(light_sh4v0r) #14

No, IIRC I had the SDK installed in a different folder. When launching the SDK you have to set the path to the game directory and the SDK then knows enough. I believe installing the SDK in your game’s directory was a bit risky because it could overwrite stuff which meant you could no longer play the game properly.

(Scrupus) #15

Yeah put SDK somewhere else than retail game. And don’t set save_path to retail game, it will only make a mess.

I have set my save_path to a “dev” folder, created inside the SDK. But it could be anywhere I think - just not inside retail.

Wherever you set the save_path, it will create a new base folder inside it, and also other folders like maps,megatexures,etc. Anything you do in worldedit or generate with compiler, will end up there.

The savepath is also where I recommend to put your custom stuff, so you don’t overwrite stuff in the SDK (or retail). Fex, you make a materials folder under dev/base, where you put your custom materials.

This way, you’ll have three separate file trees: Retail game, SDK, and your own stuff. Much cleaner, as you always can go back and look at the original files from SDK or retail. If you want to modify something, you copy it from SDK into your dev tree, following the same folderstructure, and modify the copy. This will override the original in SDK, so if you get stuck you can just remove the copy. Then you don’t have to reinstall the SDK at all, since it will never change.

The megatexture texturepack can be installed inside the SDK.

About your megatexture problem itself, I’m a bit unsure where it fails. You say orange terrain model, but there are several reasons for that to happen. Best is to check the console when you load the map, it should give some hints of what is missing or goes wrong.

Have you tried to preview the terrain inside WorldEdit, and does it looks ok there? This is the first step to check, and it will also save you a lot of time later on, as the megagen itself can take time.

Be prepared for a long learning curve - getting all the pieces together for a working outdoor terrain map can be a lot of work (and some pain). But it will go better (and faster) over time, when you get the routine. And if you like the process, it is great fun :slight_smile:

(SaintCrime) #16

Thanks Scrupus,
I will try all of that. I seem to understand the errors that are reported and have almost fixed them, only to have new ones lol…Getting closer, I bet with your way of settign up the files it might work better.

(SaintCrime) #17

Thank You Everyone for Your Help,
I have finally figured out the file formats, locations, and all the little mistakes in setting up everything neatly. As I type this it is writing the final stage of the MegaTexture. I have always had a hard time in the past with MegaTextures and texturing terrain. It is refreshing to have this work. My future maps will look much better and have more outside environments getting me out of the Dungeons of hallways LOL.

This is all gonna be practice for me since I am now seeking an education in game software development. Mapping has always helped me think about gaming, games, level design, and the engines what they do and what I want them to do.

Also I love ETQW. I stopped FPS’s when WoW came out and the last ones I played/mapped for was RTCW. At that time I did a big over haul of Beach. Took forever. In the End it was called Beach Tribute. But then you all at Splash Damage had RTCW ET come out around that time and I was late to release for the Population. But hey was fun. I plan to make lots of Maps for ETQW(time permitting). I will be posting here alot to. Asking questions and helping others if I can.

Once again ty all…:smiley:

(light_sh4v0r) #18

Glad you got it to work, keep us updated on any progress you make with the map!

(taw_m0nsta) #19

Any luck? :slight_smile: