First, some data :
This line graph features the spread of all SMG across time. As you can see, SMG-9 is the highest starting spread.
Credits to @nokiII
This spreadsheet resume the raw stats of all SMGs.
Source : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfrz5hOUaihkviy1VIPo4-aCy7hKnMm8y7W4g269t6E/edit#gid=222941849
This spreadsheet features the TTK of all SMGs.
Source : see above.
As you can see :
- SMG-9 features a lower DPS than Hochfir. SMG-9 is actually the second lowest DPS after Blishlok.
- Unlike Blishlok, SMG-9 does not feature an increased range, justifying its niche.
- SMG-9 has the HIGHEST starting spread of all SMGs. Even Blish and KEK who are supposed to be more effective at higher range have a better starting spread (though not by a lot). Meanwhile, SMG-9 remains fairly far from their raw firepower.
- SMG-9 has more reload time than Hochfir. It’s actually the second highest reload time of all SMGs.
- If both SMG-9 and Hochfir start shooting at the same time, Hochfir keeps being the most precise one.
- Hochfir tends to be easier to use thanks to its higher RPM. Enemies are less likely to go between two of your bullets.
- There’s not a single moment where SMG-9 is actually the best or second best option TTK wise.
It is obvious that Hochfir became a straight upgrade to SMG-9. Hochfir is obviously better for ranged attacks, better at DPS, better at killing overall, and even better at being convenient (lower reload time). SMG-9 on the other hand does not have any single niche feature that justify it’s use.
- Crotzni is the powerhouse.
- KEK-10 is the more stable alternative to Crotzni.
- Blishlok is the most ranged and best damage per ammo ratio.
- Hochfir is most stable and convenient.
- SMG-9 has no perks at all, and falls last or second-last in most important stats.
This is why I think SMG-9 deserves a bit of love. We must give it something to justify its use, or at least making it so Hochfir isn’t a straight upgrade to SMG-9 anymore. If anything, SMG-9 should at least get a better starting spread than Hochfir. Let’s see what happens if SMG-9 gets a starting spread between Hochfir and Blishlok.
Credits to @nokiII
It already starts to feel more fair. SMG-9 becomes a decent a middle of the road between Blish and Hochfir, and a potent jack of all trades, earning a niche among all SMGs.
What do you think ?