SMG-9 needs some love.

(Eox) #1

First, some data :

This line graph features the spread of all SMG across time. As you can see, SMG-9 is the highest starting spread.
Credits to @nokiII

This spreadsheet resume the raw stats of all SMGs.
Source : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lfrz5hOUaihkviy1VIPo4-aCy7hKnMm8y7W4g269t6E/edit#gid=222941849

This spreadsheet features the TTK of all SMGs.
Source : see above.

As you can see :

• SMG-9 features a lower DPS than Hochfir. SMG-9 is actually the second lowest DPS after Blishlok.
  • Unlike Blishlok, SMG-9 does not feature an increased range, justifying its niche.
  • SMG-9 has the HIGHEST starting spread of all SMGs. Even Blish and KEK who are supposed to be more effective at higher range have a better starting spread (though not by a lot). Meanwhile, SMG-9 remains fairly far from their raw firepower.
  • SMG-9 has more reload time than Hochfir. It’s actually the second highest reload time of all SMGs.
  • If both SMG-9 and Hochfir start shooting at the same time, Hochfir keeps being the most precise one.
  • Hochfir tends to be easier to use thanks to its higher RPM. Enemies are less likely to go between two of your bullets.
  • There’s not a single moment where SMG-9 is actually the best or second best option TTK wise.

It is obvious that Hochfir became a straight upgrade to SMG-9. Hochfir is obviously better for ranged attacks, better at DPS, better at killing overall, and even better at being convenient (lower reload time). SMG-9 on the other hand does not have any single niche feature that justify it’s use.

• Crotzni is the powerhouse.
  • KEK-10 is the more stable alternative to Crotzni.
  • Blishlok is the most ranged and best damage per ammo ratio.
  • Hochfir is most stable and convenient.
  • SMG-9 has no perks at all, and falls last or second-last in most important stats.

This is why I think SMG-9 deserves a bit of love. We must give it something to justify its use, or at least making it so Hochfir isn’t a straight upgrade to SMG-9 anymore. If anything, SMG-9 should at least get a better starting spread than Hochfir. Let’s see what happens if SMG-9 gets a starting spread between Hochfir and Blishlok.

Credits to @nokiII

It already starts to feel more fair. SMG-9 becomes a decent a middle of the road between Blish and Hochfir, and a potent jack of all trades, earning a niche among all SMGs.

What do you think ?

(TheStrangerous) #2

Hochfir and SMG9 alongside Blishlok will always be overshadowed, if any merc has KEK or Crotzni as an alternative.

I pretty much exclusively use KEK on both Turtle and Bushwhacker, unless I wanna be creative and goof around with random loadouts.

(Eox) #3

@TheStrangerous said:
Hochfir and SMG9 alongside Blishlok will always be overshadowed, if any merc has KEK or Crotzni as an alternative.

I pretty much exclusively use KEK on both Turtle and Bushwhacker, unless I wanna be creative and goof around with random loadouts.

Maybe. But at least Blish and Hochfir have their own niche. Hochfir is remakably stable and precise, especially compared to the two beasts that are KEK and Crotzni, while Blishlok is fitting a more ranged playstyle with lowest starting spread and highest falloff values. SMG-9 on the other hand has nothing.

(GatoCommodore) #4

SMG-9 definetly needs some love since its the widely used primary

give it more reserve magazines or anything!

Thanks for making this. A few changes would be fine and while I do prefer the Crotzni in certain circumstances, I still think the SMG-9 is among the best in its class and I have 4x the amount of time used with it compared to others. Unpopular opinion? Sure. It’s an accurate, consistent laser and I still do well with it after the Hoch buffs. Any differences in rof/dps/spread/reload time/falloff damage are so miniscule to me and don’t lessen its strength. It’s the M4 of the smg world. Way too underrated in this game and I don’t get the hate. Crotz vs 9 is pretty much the same debate as M4 vs AK imo. I guess it’s just a gun that takes getting used to. I always tell people to use it exclusively for a day and then see how they feel. It just has a certain feel to it that I like. But yeah, the Hochfir changes did kinda shake it up a bit. I support decreasing the reload time and lowering starting spread.

TLDR; Good case of personal preference and ‘feel’ over raw data.

(Guziol) #6

I really like smg9 but it just does not perform. I remember thinking “It HAS to be good at something. I bet it has fastest reload or more bullets in mag that crotzni at least” and then checking the stats.
Everytime i play with smg9 a bit then switch to kek or crotzni it just feels like night and day.

(watsyurdeal) #7

Increase damage to 13, lower rate of fire. Something like 560-600 rpm

(Mr.Cuddlesworth) #8

@Eox said:

@TheStrangerous said:

Maybe. But at least Blish and Hochfir have their own niche. Hochfir is remakably stable and precise, especially compared to the two beasts that are KEK and Crotzni, while Blishlok is fitting a more ranged playstyle with lowest starting spread and highest falloff values. SMG-9 on the other hand has nothing.

well someone has to be on the bottom :stuck_out_tongue:

(watsyurdeal) #9

Random idea, why not give the SMG 9 and M4 dot sights? To differentiate them from the Timik and Crotzni respectively?

(Guziol) #10

I don’t think red-dot on smg9 would be enough of a reason to use it over something else. Would be nice to have but still. I rarely use sights on smg’s in the first place.

(Eox) #11

@watsyurdeal said:
Increase damage to 13, lower rate of fire. Something like 560-600 rpm

@watsyurdeal said:
Random idea, why not give the SMG 9 and M4 dot sights? To differentiate them from the Timik and Crotzni respectively?

I don’t think SMG-9 issue is truly related to its damage value, though the hochfir RPM buff definitely pushed SMG-9 in the coffin. I don’t think either that dot sights will make SMG-9 played as well.

By the way, to complement your damage value changes discussion :

With 560 RPM : 560/60 * 13 = 121.33 DPS (approx.). Worse than before.

With 600 RPM : 600/60 * 13 = 130 DPS. Probably too much. Might turn SMG-9 into a straight upgrade to KEK-10.

@Guziol said:
I don’t think red-dot on smg9 would be enough of a reason to use it over something else. Would be nice to have but still. I rarely use sights on smg’s in the first place.

Agreed. If it was paired with my lower starting spread suggestion it would be a decent addition, but I don’t think SMG-9’s sights are that bad to begin with.

@Mr.Cuddlesworth said:

@Eox said:

@TheStrangerous said:

well someone has to be on the bottom :stuck_out_tongue:

Sure there will always be a bad SMG among everyone else, but that doesn’t excuse SMG-9’s lack of a meaningful niche. Blishlok can be the worst SMG, it would still have the advantage of being the most ranged SMG for exemple.

(watsyurdeal) #12

Well what else can possibly done? At this point it’s basically the Timik vs M4 debate.

Ultimately the Crotzni is the superior gun, until drastic changes are made.

Having it deal 1 more damage, yet shooting one less bullet per second should do fine.

(Eox) #13

@watsyurdeal said:
Well what else can possibly done? At this point it’s basically the Timik vs M4 debate.

Having it deal 1 more damage, yet shooting one less bullet per second should do fine.

A simple starting spread reduction so it ends up between Hochfir and Blishlok’s starting spread would be enough at both differentiate it from Crotzni and making it much more viable than it should. Crotzni would be a power house, but way less accurate, while SMG-9 would have a worse DPS but more suited for long ranged fights thanks to its better stability and accuracy.

(watsyurdeal) #14

*Burst Damage is basically how much damage is done in half a second> @Eox said:

@watsyurdeal said:

A simple starting spread reduction so it ends up between Hochfir and Blishlok’s starting spread would be enough at both differentiate it from Crotzni and making it much more viable than it should. Crotzni would be a power house, but way less accurate, while SMG-9 would have a worse DPS but more suited for long ranged fights thanks to its better stability and accuracy.

But you can easily get into long range fights with the SMGs anyhow, just a matter of tapping.

Than and the damage will fall off so much that it’d be harder to justify it. I feel like 13 damage would help with that role. But that’s just me :confused:

(Guziol) #15

Biggest problem with smg9 is that it does not have it’s niche. Every smg has it’s own “thing” and i have no clue what smg9 could have. Even wth lower starting spread i probably wouldn’t go for it. Maybe a combination of all? Lower starting spread, a red dot, tiny bit more range and up the fire rate by tiny amount.
Or maybe that’s all stupid and would make it broken. I’m really clueless with how to change this gun.

(GatoCommodore) #16

GIVE IT MORE SPARE AMMO
I HAVE TO RUN AROUND WITH TURTLE BECAUSE IM POURING AMMO DOWN RANGE AND NOBODY GIVES ME AMMO

(watsyurdeal) #17

@GatoCommodore

IF WE KEEP SCREAMING GOOD THINGS WILL HAPPEN

(woodchip) #18

Maybe a good niche for Smg9 would be an easier to use but less powerful kek. Lower recoil and maybe spread a bit, lower ADS recoil a lot.

(Eox) #19

@woodchip said:
Maybe a good niche for Smg9 would be an easier to use but less powerful kek. Lower recoil and maybe spread a bit, lower ADS recoil a lot.

Couldn’t work without a DPS buff so it ends up between hochfir and KEK. Hochfir basically outshines SMG-9 because it has a much worse starting spread and worse DPS. Being just a more precise and more stable KEK won’t be enough.

I’d also rather see it between Hochfir and Blishlok it terms of stats. It would also only require to change a single stat.

(woodchip) #20

@Eox said:

@woodchip said:

Couldn’t work without a DPS buff so it ends up between hochfir and KEK. Hochfir basically outshines SMG-9 because it has a much worse starting spread and worse DPS. Being just a more precise and more stable KEK won’t be enough.

I’d also rather see it between Hochfir and Blishlok it terms of stats. It would also only require to change a single stat.

True. The most important objective for the SMG-9 is giving it some clear advantage over the Hochfir.