Rhino too OP?

(farcicalMesh) #1

Rhino is a great and fun merc to have…until other players use it against you

I get that Rhino is supposed to have a large amount of health, because its a fricken Rhino!
But the fact that it can use its minigun at anytime is very annoying
It can obliterate anything in its path and destroy enemies who stand in its way
It is very difficult to kill this merc due to its large amount of health and overpowered minigun
Not to mention that it can get a perk that reduces the overheating time on turrets and miniguns
Whatever tactics you want to use, it won’t work well
If you try to flank the Rhino from behind and shoot him, you wont stand a chance because hes just gonna take a few hits before he turns around and shreds you to pieces.
The only way to kill this merc is using range.

A good tactic would be either using a sniper or any grenades that do large damage such as Skyhammer’s airstrike
This way, you won’t get damaged too much and you got a free kill!

(Mr-Penguin) #2

How to kill Rhino:
Do everything you suggested.

(avidCow) #3

Depending on your team composition a Rhino can be dealt with easily or could end up being a giant pain in the arse. My general rule is to always have someone handy who can throw explosives in order to chip away Aura/Rhino bunkers and campers in general. You cannot really rely on your own team for this, especially in pubs.

(Monty) #4

This is a personal opinion, but I consider Nader as one of the best anti-Rhino mercs. You got five granades in your launcher, which means that you can pepper a bunker floor or corridor with explosives, and often beyond a corner. Hence the slow Rhino will take damage and become much easier to finish with your SMG. (If explosives didn’t do the trick on their own.)

Additionally, Nader is one the best EV stoppers in the game. You got five granades with relatively fast respawn time and long enough range. Hence, you can take out the EV on your own, and even when the EV hides under bridges or some such.

So, I am just saying that Nader is a very worthy addition to almost any squad.

But without explosives, or direct line of sight for the sniper, the only way to bring down a Rhino is to simply over power it. Team rushes in, all firing at the Rhino, and hopefully about half of the team survives.

(CCP115) #5

[quote=“Monty;63885”]This is a personal opinion, but I consider Nader as one of the best anti-Rhino mercs. You got five granades in your launcher, which means that you can pepper a bunker floor or corridor with explosives, and often beyond a corner. Hence the slow Rhino will take damage and become much easier to finish with your SMG. (If explosives didn’t do the trick on their own.)

Additionally, Nader is one the best EV stoppers in the game. You got five granades with relatively fast respawn time and long enough range. Hence, you can take out the EV on your own, and even when the EV hides under bridges or some such.

But without explosives, or direct line of sight for the sniper, the only way to bring down a Rhino is to simply over power it. Team rushes in, all firing at the Rhino, and hopefully about half of the team survives.[/quote]

Agreed, Nader is very strongk.

Fletcher can also just double sticky a Rhino and wave goodbye.

And Vassili/Arty are soft counters. If a Rhino sees a Vassili, he’ll either run away, or focus fire to aimpunch the sniper away. Arty strikes also make Rhinos poop their pants.

(gg2ez) #6

[quote=“extravagentBypass;63960”][quote=“Monty;63885”]This is a personal opinion, but I consider Nader as one of the best anti-Rhino mercs. You got five granades in your launcher, which means that you can pepper a bunker floor or corridor with explosives, and often beyond a corner. Hence the slow Rhino will take damage and become much easier to finish with your SMG. (If explosives didn’t do the trick on their own.)

But without explosives, or direct line of sight for the sniper, the only way to bring down a Rhino is to simply over power it. Team rushes in, all firing at the Rhino, and hopefully about half of the team survives.[/quote]

Agreed, Nader is very strongk.

Fletcher can also just double sticky a Rhino and wave goodbye.

And Vassili/Arty are soft counters. If a Rhino sees a Vassili, he’ll either run away, or focus fire to aimpunch the sniper away. Arty strikes also make Rhinos poop their pants.[/quote]

I’ve always found Kira can take the piss out of Rhino really quickly.

(Indefinite) #7

Nader and Fletcher are amazing, low-effort counters to a Rhino. Nader’s got a leg up due to the DPS and control potential she has where Fletcher will start sweating heavily in the event of two Rhinos. Fragger is just as good if not better; But he has a steeper skill-curve where one newer player will completely waste their first grenade, a veteran will gib the medic and nearly kill the Rhino on the first throw.

Arty and Kira are situationally great/amazeballs counters to Rhino. Opportunities for their abilities aside, using either with exceptional (not just average, but even slightly well above average) aim will cut a Rhino down in short order - even on top of an Aura station. BR16, Stark or Driess can and do make Rhinos kiss floor pretty quickly. The thing worth noting this is that all the marksman weapons have really high damage at range, meaning these two can pull these shenanigans at unexpected ranges while a Rhino is in transition. It does not come easy.

Really, the biggest problem with Rhino/Aura is that most of the player population is still slow to capitalize on game mechanics and will almost always fail to gib the Rhino after he’s been dropped. Gotta learn the game and practice that aim. Even if you don’t get the kill on a Rhino, dump at least 5 shots into that giant body just to make sure he don’t get back up.

([eXo]Deeds) #8

just surprise rhino with 2 people… and remember… face iz da place!

(Uriei) #9

Rhino is not so OP whatsoever, you just need a different approach to kill him, like every other merc, learn to play and stop crying when you lose.

(SaulWolfden) #10

Redeye (can even use the smoke grenade as cover or give false impression of where he actually is) and Vassili can both take him out from a range as well.

(watsyurdeal) #11

I wouldn’t say he’s op, just annoying as fuck since he seems to be the new scrub strategy.

Get as many Rhinos as you can to win, it’s TF2 all over again, but worse since nothing really shuts them down easily except Fragger and Nader.

(TheOrangePhantome) #12

Whelp i managed to kill a Rhino easily with the class every1 started callin usless (Phantom) i lured him and made him think i’m escaping he did get me but a bit and i was going down a set of stairs at bridge got some ammo cloaked and a went up to check if he’s coming and he had his melee out (pretty much caught him off guard) and just as he switched to his minigun i killed him with a couple of head and body shots with my Crotzni but aside from that either just the team (or at least more than 1 person) focuses on him for a bit and u kill him or u take him on in a 1 v 1 by strafing around him while he tries o destroy u with his minigun (but when doing that try and be aware of enemies around u even tho u should always be). And that’s pretty much it i agree about the explosives and snipers but here r some more tips on how to take him out.

(LifeupOmega) #13

[quote=“Watsyurdeal;64175”]I wouldn’t say he’s op, just annoying as fuck since he seems to be the new scrub strategy.

Get as many Rhinos as you can to win, it’s TF2 all over again, but worse since nothing really shuts them down easily except Fragger and Nader.[/quote]

Pretty much this. He’s a clone of Heavy, just as dull to fight and play as, and stacking him ruins games. Sounds exactly like the issue TF2 has.

(I’d honestly prefer Rhino to be an actual tank of a merc with interesting abilities instead of what he is now)

(MTLMortis) #14

Jump, circle strafe = dead rhino

Presently I’m going 50/50 on my rhino engagements but with a fast merc you can do some real dmg.

also…nader. heh…

(rivo3622) #15

Rhino isnt too bad to counter, his presence is for sure very prominent on the battlefield, but nothing a Vasili can’t counter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: since i mainly only play Vasili when i come across one, i always win that fight because he doesnt have FANTASTIC mobility/range/accuracy

(watsyurdeal) #16

[quote=“LifeupOmega;64626”][quote=“Watsyurdeal;64175”]I wouldn’t say he’s op, just annoying as fuck since he seems to be the new scrub strategy.

Get as many Rhinos as you can to win, it’s TF2 all over again, but worse since nothing really shuts them down easily except Fragger and Nader.[/quote]

Pretty much this. He’s a clone of Heavy, just as dull to fight and play as, and stacking him ruins games. Sounds exactly like the issue TF2 has.

(I’d honestly prefer Rhino to be an actual tank of a merc with interesting abilities instead of what he is now)[/quote]

See this is why I liked Spy, he dealt with Snipers, Heavies, and Engineers, the three biggest causes of stalemates.

And now he sucks at killing all of them, gj Valve

(handyHeirloom) #17

How to beat rhino: Have a good phantom or catch him when his minigun isnt spun up. He’s a sitting duck with it spun up, just communicate with the team.

(MarsRover) #18

You just need to maintain a proper distance and then you can shoot him with any smg/rifle while his minigun or shotgun slightly tickles you. Even Sparks with a machine pistol can do it, and I’ve personally done it many times with Proxy with Hochfir. In closed spaces => explosives.

There you go. Season for hunting Rhinos is open. They need some culling :smile:

(Sussepus) #19

after testing rhino i find him very easy to use. doesnt take much to find a smart place to cover and spam that mini gun. however hes also easy to kill when you find out where he “camps”. He probably seems op for people who just run straight at him trying to out gun him but thats more your own fault than rhino being op. :wink:

I’ve seen many people pwn rhino by just being mobile and smart. i saw one shotgun proxy constantly making fun of 3 rhinos in a match yesterday. lol.

(LifeupOmega) #20

I just don’t get how they made a merc who’s so outright boring to fight and play as. There’s nothing interesting about him at all, and outside of tap-fire sniping people he’s just there being a more mobile turret. They could have given him some fun abilities or something but nope, minigun.

This rotation is really driving that home for me.