Rad world cup

(Mitsid) #21

There is also another problem - now we have too many players registered for the Cup (already 39). Many of those players are unknown. May be we should arrange a preliminary round for the newbies, so that only the best of them could take part in the Cup?

(Domm) #22

I think we all want a ingame function for this. And to do so there need to be new players added.
Devs needs to see the interest for it…
(…and remember that you, and me, also was newbies some time ago… And I also now that there are skilled players that never ever has visited the forum to even now whats going on…)

I was glad to see the ingame announcement for the tourney !!

(Mitsid) #23

I have nothing against new players. I am just worried that we might get a total mess instead of Cup. I agree that there are some great non forum players and I do not deny their right to play the Cup. My point was that there also many no name players level1-10 who might just dissapear in the middle of the match. Therefore my proposal is to make one preliminary round for the new players to understand if they take the Cup serious or not. Btw do we have enough coadmins to help Paul doing his hard job?

(tinker) #24

[QUOTE=strychzilla;475124]Our strategies are different. For me, the point of the game is to capture the objective. From the sounds of it, if you go first on Favella you won’t even cap. You “strategically” place your commander next to the choke and rotate your sniper 1 - 2 spaces for 15 turns until the other player gets bored and dives in. I’ve played many, many people like that and quite honestly, it’s one of the reasons I stopped playing. I’ve played with Dee plenty, Mitsid can attest to that, his shield is great but nothing comes close to Dave’s versatility. 26p games are all about the first blood and Dave gets you that every time. Dee does not.

As for beach, I agree with you. It’s not much better than Favella or Old Town because of the poor placement of the objective. First to go in, will lose. The difference is that you can take an extreme risk for an extreme reward. You don’t have those options in Favella or Old Town, if you take an extreme risk, you will lose.[/QUOTE]

no I’m not going back and forth till I get my first shot. I actually get it in the first round due to my strategy. and if not in the first, it will be in the second.
go watch the videos I uploaded, I got 1 game with 14 turns but we had quite an action in every turn, tension to the end, the rest is less than 9 turns per game, but tournament games should just be longer than 4 turns. otherwise it’s uneven

This game is not chess but it can be compared to chess. The “better” more trained, advanced player will win >80% of the time even if he has a bad start or even starts with less.
a good player will not just sit there and camp all day.
but a good player will win against such people >80% of the time.

Cups need a turnlimit, otherwise a troll might just run away with his last soldiers all the time (e.g. on market)

I understand Mitsid here, but it should not be b4 the tourney, should just be before the brackets. you will not be disqualified from the tourney, you’ll just get in a lower bracket.
something like:
2 games against 2 ppl., win = 2 points, draw = 1 point , lose =0 points. with 6 points or more upper bracket. with 4-5 pts mid bracket, with less than 4 pts lower bracket.

I don’t like disqualifying players at the very beginning, they made an effort to take part. they should just play against players in their level (or at least aprox.) but have a disadvantage if it comes to the final rounds.

(Domm) #25

Sorry, misunderstood you Mitsid.

(Hundopercent) #26

[QUOTE=tinker;475147]no I’m not going back and forth till I get my first shot. I actually get it in the first round due to my strategy. and if not in the first, it will be in the second.
go watch the videos I uploaded, I got 1 game with 14 turns but we had quite an action in every turn, tension to the end, the rest is less than 9 turns per game, but tournament games should just be longer than 4 turns. otherwise it’s uneven

This game is not chess but it can be compared to chess. The “better” more trained, advanced player will win >80% of the time even if he has a bad start or even starts with less.
a good player will not just sit there and camp all day.
but a good player will win against such people >80% of the time.[/QUOTE]

Send me the games in a message. I would like to see the matches, who you were versus, amd if it was an even match up.

(Ciakgb) #27
  1. Now I really think the only way to keep things moving is a Swiss, if a player drops out it doesn’t slow down the whole bracket.

2. I think Favella is harder post patch, the strategy you describe just sitting and waiting, itsn’t that a draw? In the old days you could sit and wait IN the rocket zone, not so safe for that now. It is the map that starts all the fights. In my mind, if you do away with favella, then the arguement simply shifts to Old Town. If you get rid of Old Town, then its Beach. If no Beach, then its Train…

3. It might have been slightly boring to play both sides of a map (I would say slightly confunisng perhaps) but it was fair. You didn’t have to race to be the first to post a challenge. You didn’t have to eliminate any maps. There are other ways to do it, like balanace the number of first moves one has over the whole tourney, but the old way was/is useless. I suppose it wasn’t boring to fight with you about favella for days, but it is unneccisary.

4. Why post the trackbase address paul? Do you get a cut? (just kidding) You should have sent people here to build the forum traffic. Are you really keeping track of hundreds of screenshots?

5. You are lucky you have a soft start!!! Strongly suggest you take some time to figure this out a little more. Runnning my tourney with 12 guys still took a fair amount of time, I wouldn’t want to do 40+ with a fuzzy set of rules…

(Hundopercent) #28

Focus might change but at least on those maps you can move around and do something. Favella you are literally locked in a box. Old Town you are locked in a slightly larger box. Beach, train, etc. you can attempt to sweep and move around. That’s what makes them different. I would take LAPA over Fav and Construction over Old Town any day of the week. Both of those maps are considerably better and actually enjoyable to play on.

(Paul) #29

Just took a look at we’re at 43 sign ups :slight_smile: Awesome SplashDamage!

About the maps: we’re not going to change them anymore for this tournament, but I like this double-map thing so we’ll definitely use it [strike]for the next one. [/strike]
We also won’t use Favela and Old Town in this cup.

(tinker) #30

it were tourney matches vs great players, can’t say they aren’t even

all of them are/will be HERE

I would also like to record and upload the games of THIS tourney If everybody is OK with it.

(Paul) #31

First we’ll do groups, than the best 32 will go to the brackets (current plan).

[QUOTE=Domm;475137]I think we all want a ingame function for this. And to do so there need to be new players added.
Devs needs to see the interest for it…
(…and remember that you, and me, also was newbies some time ago… And I also now that there are skilled players that never ever has visited the forum to even now whats going on…)

I was glad to see the ingame announcement for the tourney !![/QUOTE]

I’m very happy about the announcement, amazingly cool from SD to do this :slight_smile: :smiley: About the matches etc, yes I know this is kinda a hard thing but it’s very hard to do it otherwise.

That’s were the group stage is for - to have organised chaos :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ciakgb;475179]1) Now I really think the only way to keep things moving is a Swiss, if a player drops out it doesn’t slow down the whole bracket.

1. I think Favella is harder post patch, the strategy you describe just sitting and waiting, itsn’t that a draw? In the old days you could sit and wait IN the rocket zone, not so safe for that now. It is the map that starts all the fights. In my mind, if you do away with favella, then the arguement simply shifts to Old Town. If you get rid of Old Town, then its Beach. If no Beach, then its Train…

2. It might have been slightly boring to play both sides of a map (I would say slightly confunisng perhaps) but it was fair. You didn’t have to race to be the first to post a challenge. You didn’t have to eliminate any maps. There are other ways to do it, like balanace the number of first moves one has over the whole tourney, but the old way was/is useless. I suppose it wasn’t boring to fight with you about favella for days, but it is unneccisary.

3. Why post the trackbase address paul? Do you get a cut? (just kidding) You should have sent people here to build the forum traffic. Are you really keeping track of hundreds of screenshots?

4. You are lucky you have a soft start!!! Strongly suggest you take some time to figure this out a little more. Runnning my tourney with 12 guys still took a fair amount of time, I wouldn’t want to do 40+ with a fuzzy set of rules…[/QUOTE]

5. Nope, like said before, we’ll stick to a group/bracket system.

6. For now we skip Favela and Old Town, next tourney we’ll discuss about this again.

7. Great idea, I’ll update and change the rules, we’ll go for 2 sides of the map to make it more fair. In group stage we will stick with 1 map so that’s 2 matches against each player in your group.

8. Because it’s a very simple link, and people have to subscribe there anyway. Doing this with so many people on a forum is undoable. Now it’s very easy as player can just report scores and accept it without my supervision. I do not get anything for this, it just costs me time :slight_smile:

9. I’m not too worried at the moment because of the group stage/knockout stage set up.

(Ciakgb) #32

Don’t get me wrong–do whatever you want.

I might point out that we advertised, organized, ran, and had an actual meaningful final and crowned a victor in less time than this tournament has spent on getting organized, so maybe I could, I don’t know, help you out a little?

Anyway, I’m signed up and am happy to ride along the waves of chaos–not my problem:)

(Ciakgb) #33

Finally just to make my point about replays and you know, where this could all lead if someone really wanted to push this game, check out my all time favorite you tube video:

(Mitsid) #34

If we go 2 sides of the map then I dont see Favela issue anymore…if some people want to play why exclude it?

(tinker) #35

same to old town…
and also beach
and city center

but that’s my view. paul decides :smiley:

(SuperNge) #36

But this is only for the group state, and for brackets …we play only 3 match or play 6? Its take to much time. That’s problem. So in my idea, we still can have Favela on group state only. And for brackets we play only 3 match (no Favela). So everybody can happy with this:D

(Mitsid) #37

I am also concerned about the ammount of time it will take to play 2 sides of each map on group stage. And I dont see any logic in playing 2 sides of the map if we exclude Favela which is the only map where it really matters who goes first.

(Paul) #38

We’ll only play 1 single map at the group stage and you can play against all opponents at the same time. This should hopefully save some time and make sure it’ll run okay.

So you’re people saying we should just go for Favela and Old Town as well if we’re going to do it this way?

(Ciakgb) #39

Two sets of rules for the two stages makes sense, especially if you spread out the top players enough.

24 hour move limit worked well for us, consider it for first round. If the icon reads “one day”, you screenshot for victory.

How many lower brackets do you anticipate? Some friendly advice, appoint a “moderator” or “bracket leader” or something like that to handle micro issues in each of the lower brackets, save yourself some grief. They could even keep the final tally and submit it to you as a back up to the somewhat balky trackbase.

Still not sure whose going first that first round–is it race-to-challenge again?

There was some confusion why I posted the Starcraft vid–was making the point that replays and the ability for people to watch and follow the games are what propelled that game to 100,000,000 koren payouts. The backstory of the kid is great too, if you care to poke around…

(tinker) #40

the tournament will be great. I think it does not matter what rules you decide on.
The rules will only change the length and some other little things
just don’t worry