Rad world cup

(Armedmanus) #341

Hey guys,

You can also skip me and go straight to SuperNge.
I haven’t played since my game with him and I probably won’t until they bring some new updates.
I have lots of rad bux and coins just sitting there and winning more doesn’t really matter anymore.
Especially since it seems like they aren’t even working on this game anymore… which is a shame…

I’ll gladly take third place :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Armed

(Sandman77) #342

the never ending cup =:P

(tinker) #343

so igor and me finished

it was a nice game, he captured 4 of 5 rounds with 2 dee and almost had me there, I pulled a 5 push turn (first time ever pushing my commander more than once) and killed his first Juan, leaving him with 1 juan and a lot of pistols while all of my soldiers were covered enough and stood in the center, killing his 2nd juan the round after and the game was over.
was a nice game

I posted score on trackbase, is approved. mitsid next… you here?

seems like the fight for 4th place, winning it will get either him or me to at least 2nd place since armed wants us to skip him - while endboss SuperNge is waiting
the game is on :smiley:

(g00n) #344

I think seriously need to change format. World cup taking over 7 months! nearly time for 2014 world cup :stuck_out_tongue:

(Mitsid) #345

[QUOTE=tinker;494873]so igor and me finished

it was a nice game, he captured 4 of 5 rounds with 2 dee and almost had me there, I pulled a 5 push turn (first time ever pushing my commander more than once) and killed his first Juan, leaving him with 1 juan and a lot of pistols while all of my soldiers were covered enough and stood in the center, killing his 2nd juan the round after and the game was over.
was a nice game

I posted score on trackbase, is approved. mitsid next… you here?

seems like the fight for 4th place, winning it will get either him or me to at least 2nd place since armed wants us to skip him - while endboss SuperNge is waiting
the game is on :D[/QUOTE]
@tinker, I am sure we are gonna have 2 or 3 very interesting games :slight_smile: I ve sent you the challenge for the first match.good luck.
@ goon any ideas how to improve the cup system?

(SuperNge) #346

Good luck to both of you! Dont worry about me, i can wait for your. I think we can finish this Cup soon from now:D

(Jerry-Rigs) #347

[QUOTE=Mitsid;494904]
@ goon any ideas how to improve the cup system?[/QUOTE]

I’ll jump in :).
First, and perhaps most important, I am not trying to insult the organizer in any way shape or form. It is a thankless unpaid job and I am thankful that anybody took it on. OK, with that out of the way, the gloves are off.

The best single solution would be to incorporate tournaments into the game itself. Challenges, stats, advancements, and news could all be automated and solve most of the problems that were previously experienced. That ain’t gonna happen so I’ll move on.

-Problems with tournament implementation
It was difficult for everybody to understand exactly what they needed to do to update results.
There is no programmatic link between the game and the tournament so everything had to be done by hand.
(The arguments over structure of the tournament are not actually a problem with the tournament.)
-Problems with communications
Players did not even know play had started so they didn’t send matches or turns.
There was no link between game name, Warchest forum name, and Trackbase forum name.
No one had a way to contact players outside of the game or forums.
There was a language barrier. (Gonna happen no matter what. Maybe Google Translate?)
Many rules were open to interpretation.
-Problems with people.
Some players, for whatever reason, drop after play starts.
Some players did not a have a commitment to the tournament.

I do not have answers to all these problems but start by enforcing:
A single place to communicate all tournament related communications.
A verified link between game name and forum name.
A policy of 3 days of unexpected silence and you forfeit everything.

(tinker) #348

most problems occured with people that are only rarely-active at the forum (or not even a little)
demanding a built-in tournament system would indeed be cool, but would also make it quite “normal” - besides the fact that it is their game and we can only “wish” for something.

problem with time limit under 2 days is quite simple, not everyone has the time in 2 days, and with not everyone I actually mean 90%, I think many people needed 2 days for answer on more than 2 times. - the system also seems bugged for me, since sometimes it displayed 2 days after ~36 hours.
restricting it to a turn-limit would cause even more problems, who wins after the X turns - more health, more toons, more captured - while nothing of this makes perfect sense. some squads just need the time to unfold the strategy. some squads sacrifice 1-2 toons to kill the whole enemy team, some squads go for capturing quite fast, but 4 captures are just not a win (just had that with igor)

having all that said, I think there is no perfect solution for having a tournament (faster)
It is just hard to handle with everyone when there is no one right in front of you ( like @most chess tournaments, all players are in the same building or room)
every increase of demands or rules will cause a decrease of people playing the tournament.

only thing I can imagine to fasten things up is to seperate the veteran and active forum players from anyone else as long as possible, kicking out most inactive players, and having a “quick” final with 8 or even 4 players.
and if after a while nobody from the “anyone else” group answers, you may still run a final with the best forum players.

(Jerry-Rigs) #349

@Tinker,
I think I agree with most of what you said. I put my ideas into 2 buckets.

My 1st bucket is what I think is reasonable.Those are reflected in my previous post. I am flexible on the “allowable period of silence”. 3 days might be too short. Unless I misunderstood,I don’t think you objected to those.

My 2nd bucket is what I think is outside the scope of the actual game or is influenced mostly by my personal preferences and is therefore … unreasonable. Turn limits (which I have advocated in the past (but in my defense, very high, I think, turn limits)) fall into the unreasonable bucket. They are not “part of the game”. Different players play differently and should not be penalized as long as they are acting within the rules of the game (or tournament) and as long as those rules are known before the player starts.

What are you thoughts about a verified link between the forum name and the game name for tourney players? Would it maybe help early on to weed out the non-committed.

I don’t know that the elim rounds can be sped up except to be playing all the games in a match at the same time.

(tinker) #350

I never did much of programming
but I think there could easily be a system to maintain contact and make sure that everyone is “active”

beside the actual in-game-NAME of the person at trackbase
a neccessary log in on trackbase ever 2-4 days, if that did NOT occur, a private message directly to the organizer that you ARE active, just didnt manage — within the 5th day (120 hours past last log-in)
if THAT did NOT occur a reasonable excuse on the 6th day (144 hours past last log-in) // best if you do this before, e.g. holiday, just write a message to the organizer
if non occured, you are out of the tournament

about the programming - all you need is one page to see all last-log-in-data from all players that participate in the current tournament and a programm that automatically marks everyone past 96 hours in yellow, everyone past 120 hours in red, everyone past 144hours as black … and everyone else as green.

ofc, all games that starty you could not answer and expanded stay that way, no matter what excuse.

but I think there should be a 2nd chance if you did not even start a game - thus you indeed might have a break of 1 week during the tournament with no duty, sometimes you need the week… holiday, stress, whatever…

this way, you can send messages on trackbase, update information and stuff and make sure - even IF someone is there with a wrong name- that he/she gets a message within less than 6 days ( mostly 2-4 days)

(Jerry-Rigs) #351

@Tinker
In general, I like the general. The exact time limits might cause arguments but as long as they are specified up front, I’m good to try it.

For programming, the last login webpage could be easy depending on the backend. Its a query to the database and a little formatting. On some frameworks this is very easy. Others? Wide variation. Of course, that would require somebody to actually spend real time to develop for no compensation. I bet against it on Trackbase.

(Mitsid) #352

lost my 1st dave in the 1st turn :frowning:
Nice start, tinker :slight_smile:

(Mitsid) #353

Moving my army to the centre :slight_smile:

(SuperNge) #354

Woa! Interesting match. Kill 1 soldier first turn:eek: so impressive

(Mitsid) #355

@tinker it is 3 days now since I have sent you my turn. I dont mind waiting longer but I would like to avoid any possible misunderstanding in future. Do you believe any time limits should apply to our match or we give each other total freedom and take as much time as we want to make a turn?

(tinker) #356

yeah sorry had a lot to do this weekend (easter)

well I actually also thought it wouldn’t matter anymore, since everybody told me to wait for igor-rus after more than 2 weeks.

I actually like to have the whole (4 days) time, because if it expires, it expires, nobody has to argue about THAT lose then. sometimes things get in the way, sometimes you just need your time to get the right feeling for it.
but so far, it is up to you, if you say 1 day, ok - i’ll do my best and if I don’t manage I’m out, but I rly like the whole 4 day time-limit, doesnt mean I’d take the whole 4 days for every turn- I still try to answer as soon as possible.

sry for this time so far, your choice if you want to claim victory for that one.

(Mitsid) #357

4 days limit is ok with me, but I also hope we wont need to take all that time for every turn :slight_smile:
Meanwhile I will keep everyone updated of the recent development in our match if you dont mind. Btw are you recording it?

(Mitsid) #358

Our squads are even now. I lost 1 dave and tinker lost 1 joan.

(Mitsid) #359

Our first game with tinker has expired because he did not make a turn for 4 days. I believe I would have won it anyway but of course I would prefer to do it normal way. Now I am waiting for the challenge for the 2nd match.

(Mitsid) #360

The picture of the last turn (before the game expired).