Q3Map2 Test Build (x64)

(Mateos) #1

Good evening,

TTimo just submitted a x64 build of Q3Map2 for Windows users, it seems Radiant now can be entirely ported to 64x systems :slight_smile:

Here you can grab the binaries and report any problem:

(Dragonji) #2

What’s the difference between x86 and x64 version?

(Mateos) #3

Usually x64 can handle more logical and arithmetic operations than x32, so may run faster.

(ronboy) #4

This is good news for those that use Q3map2. But I’ll stick with Q3map. :slight_smile:

(ailmanki) #5

Actually it should be able to use more memory. So no 3gb limit, and having to switch to lowmem…

(Mateos) #6

TTimo made a change yesterday so it will be bundled by default in a separate folder with Radiant (since Radiant for Windows is 32bits, but there’s plans to have a full 64bits distrib; Linux is already fully 64bits from what I understood).

Ticket activity is at his highest there :slight_smile:

(.Chris.) #7

Has anyone tried this out? Be interested to know if there is a noticeable difference in the speed of the compiles? Still busy with studies to have a go myself.

(ACROBAT) #8

I thought 2.5.16 build was already 64 bit compatible?

(Mateos) #9

Any 32 bits software runs on 64 bits system, but does not take advantage of it.

Btw, the current GtkRadiant build have it integrated and use the 64 bits Q3Map2 by default; 32 bits users will have to select in the settings the 32 bits one and restart Radiant.

Link to the whole package:
http://gtkradiant.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20130615.zip

(Loffy) #10

[QUOTE=Mateos;452306]Any 32 bits software runs on 64 bits system, but does not take advantage of it.

Btw, the current GtkRadiant build have it integrated and use the 64 bits Q3Map2 by default; 32 bits users will have to select in the settings the 32 bits one and restart Radiant.

Link to the whole package:
http://gtkradiant.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20130615.zip[/QUOTE]

Will try this tonight or this upcoming weekend. I am working on some W:ET maps. Primarly for relaxing, winding down after work, but hopefully I can release them soon. So, testing this package will be cool.

(Mateos) #11

If you notice anything wrong, please come on #radiant at Quakenet IRC or post an issue on GitHub:

:slight_smile:

More details for contact:
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/32921-GtkRadiant-1-6-3-Released

(obsidian) #12

Performance depends entirely on what you’re trying to compile. If you are compiling a large map that uses a lot of memory, and you have a 64-bit OS with lots of memory installed, Q3Map2 will be able to make full use of it and compile faster. On the other hand, a small box map will probably see no noticeable difference. Other than that, there have been a few patches and fixes for minor Q3Map2 issues from the previous release, so you’ll get those if you aren’t already using GtkRadiant 1.6.3.

GtkRadiant 1.6.4 is where most of the development is taking place, there are a lot of things being updated and fixed. Just looking at the issue tracker and the stuff slated for the 1.6.4 milestone shows all the cool stuff being worked on. A 64-bit Windows version of GtkRadiant may not have any real benefits so it’s not really clear whether there will be a dedicated 64-bit release.

A bit of a warning: the version above is a beta build of GtkRadiant 1.6.4, not final so you may expect some minor issues. Just don’t use it on any mission critical stuff is all, and make backups first. That said, I’ve been testing with it and it seems to work alright. Windows XP users may want to skip this specific build, there’s some library issues that may cause it to not work, it should be patched for the next build. Otherwise, feel free to test the current build and report issues.

As usual, I or someone else will post details when 1.6.4 reaches a final release.

(ACROBAT) #13

Can we host this X62 build on jk2hub please?

http://jkhub.org/forum/10-jedi-knight-general-discussions/

We use q3map2 for jk2 and jka rather than wolfenstein like is mostly played here.

(obsidian) #14

There are still some issues with the latest GtkRadiant build. Q3Map2 x64 doesn’t run because it’s missing some .dll files from the package. TTimo is looking into it and we’ll test it again when he comes up with a new test build.

You’re welcome to post a discussion thread about it and testers are appreciated. But as noted above, the latest build doesn’t really work yet. Feedback is important though, so people are willing to test things can help with the project, just don’t expect anything to work flawlessly.

(ACROBAT) #15

Question- I’ve never used netradiant, but I’ve heard that is X64 as well? We can’t use that one because it doesn’t support jk2\jka? (or wolfenstein for that matter?)

(Mateos) #16

Well, since you asked this as well on the GitHub, here’s the link if someone else is wondering:

(ACROBAT) #17

[QUOTE=Mateos;454878]Well, since you asked this as well on the GitHub, here’s the link if someone else is wondering:

Hmmm here I was asking about netradiant. On github I was asking about the test build x64.

Unless they are the same thing?

(Mateos) #18

The answer is the same, 32 or 64 bits, they’ll do the same :slight_smile: The x64 distrib will just run better on 64 bits systems than a x32 distrib.

There it’s not NetRadiant but GtkRadiant 1.6 btw.

(ACROBAT) #19

Says…Won’t start because MSVCR220.dll is missing from a something rather?

(Mateos) #20

You need to have Visual C++ Redist x86 and x64 installed:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=30679