Q3Map2 Test Build (x64)

(ACROBAT) #21

k one more question now…

there is an x64 folder in the gtkradiant 1.6 with a zlib1.dll file in it. That one doesn’t work but after installing the C++ the regular q3map2 one works that’s in the folder below that. any idea why or what the difference is?

(Mateos) #22

Do you have the latest release test, released the 7th July?

http://gtkradiant.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20130707.zip

(ACROBAT) #23

[QUOTE=Mateos;455524]Do you have the latest release test, released the 7th July?

http://gtkradiant.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/GtkRadiant-1.6.4-20130707.zip[/QUOTE]

Thanks that version seems to work kinda. The q3map2 and the x64q3map2 in it both work to a degree. I linked them to by GUI compiler and they seem to go through the motions of compiling ok although I didn’t test the final outcome.

However, I looked in task manager and it was only using 580 megs of ram…when I have 8 gigs available.

Additionally the gtkradiant 1.6 can’t get past the opening parts. I selected a path of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jamp.exe

But it didn’t seem to like that.

Third thing is I make a lot of jk2 maps. I can actually compile in jk3, and they will still work in jk2, but would be nice if we had that game option on there as well (assuming this software works eventually)

(Mateos) #24

Q3Map2 will use the necessary memory to compile your map, not all the memory ^^’ But in case you have a very huge map, it will run faster than with x86 binaries.

Here the x64 compiler just loads the entire models and textures folder, and that’s all… I’ll update a ticket with that, one guy on IRC has the same.

For your questions you should come on the IRC, #radiant on QuakeNet, more details there:
http://forums.warchest.com/showthread.php/32921-GtkRadiant-1-6-3-Released?p=407833#post407833

(obsidian) #25

Q3Map2 will use as much memory as it requires, not as much memory as you have installed. This mainly fixes issues where people had to use -lomem to compile their maps because they ran out of memory (but take 10x as long for the process to complete). If you are running a 64-bit OS and you have a lot of memory installed, Q3Map2 is no longer constrained to 4GB of memory addresses, it can use as much as it needs and compile at full speed.

Additionally the gtkradiant 1.6 can’t get past the opening parts. I selected a path of:
C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jamp.exe

I’m not sure what you mean by “opening parts”. You need to describe problems in much more detail, outlining the specific steps you are doing so we can replicate the issue. If applicable, maybe post any errors in your log files, etc.

(OMG, I just realized that I’ve been here 10 years!)

(Mateos) #26

Maybe by “opening parts” he means what I posted there:

(ACROBAT) #27

Well I have e noticed at times in task manager that two q3map2’s are running at once.

I thought I accidently spammed it twice but maybe that’s how it utilizes more ram? Just opening a second. Otherwise it stays at 680 max just like the old versions.

As for the mapping program itself I can’t get past screen 1 where I assign game paths

(obsidian) #28

No, a second process is not how it utilizes more memory, that’s probably the program being invoked a second time for a different compile stage.

For the GtkRadiant setup screen, don’t select the actual .exe file, just select the root folder and click OK. In your case (not sure about the GameData folder, you may have to try it with and without):
C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\

(ryven) #29

64bit version of q3map2 can use more than 2gb of ram

oh wait that’s a scam post