Problems with friends list

(Indloon) #21

[QUOTE=Ashog;435908]Ok, found in IRC logs a Timestart’s link:

To sum up - ETQW next in line, but not in the near future. There’s need not to trust Carmack’s words as he always releases source as promises eventually (sometimes with some delays but still), but then, he is now owned by Zenimax, so you never know…[/QUOTE]

Good find! :smiley:

I except it to release somewhere at summer or at the end of this year.

(Setlec) #22

[QUOTE=Nail;435902]id Tech 4 source, compliments of JC and TTimo
https://github.com/TTimo/doom3.gpl[/QUOTE]
that has nothing to do with etqw source code, that’s Doom 3 game source code.

[QUOTE=Ashog;435908]Ok, found in IRC logs a Timestart’s link:

To sum up - ETQW next in line, but not in the near future. There’s need not to trust Carmack’s words as he always releases source as promises eventually (sometimes with some delays but still), but then, he is now owned by Zenimax, so you never know…[/QUOTE]
Well if you think that way then Zenimax would not have permitted the release of Doom 3 BFG release then nor the original Doom 3 source code.

(Kl3ppy) #23

I’m just curious, what do you want to do with the code? ETQW is dead by now, so the fixes/changes will be way to late.

(Setlec) #24

honestly it’s preferred to be late then never. Many on my clan are searching for a replacement game for ETQW if the source code is release and a patch comes to fix the server instability, netcode and etc, i’m pretty sure that other players would come back to play this awesome game.

(Rex) #25

Sadly I have to disappoint you. :frowning: Furthermore it would take a good while for doing all this stuff. And SDs next game is just around the corner…

(Setlec) #26

will it be a just like ETQW? or like Brink? if it’s like ETQW, that would be great, if it’s like brink then i’m sorry but i was really disappointed with that game! Either way nothing will stop people from playing ETQW just because a new game is released. look at W:ET, how many servers are currently online? yeah there are many who cheat since punkbuster doesn’t support custom servers/clients such as W:ET legacy client. ETQW was killed by activision just because they didn’t cash as much as they would like. then SD kinda stop updating etqw despise many ppl asking for a new patch.

(Kl3ppy) #27

if i remember correctly the last patch was financed by SD themselves and not by Activison. Also the patch had a Beta but not many ppl played the patch and gave feedback to it. Some ppl forget that the guys at SD dont have unlimited financial powers.
As far as I can see it, there are almost 40/50 players left in ETQW worldwide, so why should anybody invest time and money for a game with this huge amount of active players. And I doubt that ppl will come back if the code is released.

(Setlec) #28

activision is a publisher and they were responsible for the game official support (if this dies then the game dies). SD did make the last patch before the support was cancelled. Yeah 5 years after the game’s launched seeing 40~50 players isn’t that bad, although there are older games that have more players but ETQW is really different multi-player (MP) game due to various, first is only the “official and Ranked” servers had stats traking (which is stupid), then no custom maps could be made available to official and ranked servers (unlike W:ET or any others MP game), this was a killer blow to the game imo.

when the src code is release there might be a come back from old players, whom like the game. Nothing is guaranteed, indeed but i can’t be a pessimist about it.

(Runeforce) #29

Even though the source might be released, we still need replacement assets, if we want to build a community. And ofc. maps.

(Setlec) #30

replacement assets? imo, the best thing would be bug fix and improve a bit the game but maintain it just like what the guys behinf W:ET legacy are doing.

(Runeforce) #31

That only works (and just barely) because the assets are given away for no cost. Do you think anyone would go out and invest in a game that is over five years old, and that is hardly sold anywhere (with a community as small as ETQW)? Ofc not! If we want to attract new members, we will need free assets to replace the proprietary assets.

(Ashog) #32

I see a source release for ETQW exclusively as a major asset for the upcoming Wolfmod for ETQW.

(Setlec) #33

that would be really great, a Wolfmod port to etqw engine…