Playing ET in 2010

(Rhammstein) #1

I just started playing again, and I’m absolutely loving it. Is there a guide to getting the best performance on a modern rig? My old config is useless now days, I haven’t played since 2005, well about six months after CS:S released.

Back then I ran a Athlon FX, a gig of DDR, 9800Pro… Current specs in sig.

Also I’m experiencing a slight bug, I get a micro-stutter (about half a second freeze) when the announcer says anything; ie “Construct the command post”, things like that. Only the announcer/commander voice causes this, nothing else.

I’ve updated the realtek HD audio drivers, changed sound megs, quality, everything, no luck. Is there a way to disable it, or force these sounds into Ram maybe?

Thanks for any tips, links, etc etc.

(Undead_fly) #2

Sounds not being stored in memory wouldn’t cause that (It doesn’t make sense in so many ways), the problem is rather caused by things that trigger announcer messages, like objectives being completed, people repairing tanks, etc. Check if the lag is a connection interrupted-lag (Check with cl_lagometer) or a fps spike? If your lagometer spikes during the lags, it’s a server-side problem for sure, just play on a different server. Even if it’s clientside, try a different mod. If you’re still having problems, I’ll come up with something else. :smiley:

Regarding performance, pretty much anything will be fine on a modern rig. Treat yourself with r_picmip 0, r_mode 8 and set all graphics to max in the menu (I cba to write all the cvars), and go enjoy ET’s extremely mediocre graphics. :smiley:

(Rhammstein) #3

Hey thanks man, it turns out it was the mod, etpro. Jaymod, Noquarter and etpub are fine. I was sticking to one server for the day to test the game and set it up, so if I encountered any problems I’d know it was me, had the opposite effect heh…

I haven’t narrowed down exactly what’s wrong, and etpro is my favorite, but Jaymod will do for now.

For now it’s all maxed, and I locked the fps at “76”.

I’ll try those cvars, danke sehr!

(YourFather_CZ) #4

On my servers (ETPro 3.2.6), I’m experiencing same issue - yellow spikes at top area of the lag-o-meter indicating extrapolation.

(Rhammstein) #5

Yay it’s confirmed, if anyone discovers a fix, post it up! I’m still a part of a pretty big community that used to play, some still do, and it would help if this is common.

(Cambodunum) #6

… disabling punkbuster (at server) :slight_smile:
… sad but true
… pb + etpro is a mess

($omator) #7

pb + any mod = a mess (?)

last PBs client update is from Wednesday 12.09.2009 yes? so do we talk about any support here?
sadly, source release might be a very good reaseon for EB to drop any support at all for et…