Player Models Documentation

(Ancalagon) #21

Anything?

(SCDS_reyalP) #22

ikanatto has shown that between the docs, mds tools, and a bit of hacking, you can make new models and animations. So I dont really understand why everyone is crying about the tools :confused:

(No1_sonuk) #23

Because, for all it works, Ikanatto’s method is essentially a hack. The proper tools would cut out the potentially bug-ridden MDS stage of the process. Maybe, if we’re lucky, even have the complete skeleton or model files.

(nUllSkillZ) #24

Have found this in the forums (4th post of this thread by sock):
http://www.splashdamage.com/index.php?name=pnPHPbb2&file=viewtopic&t=8086

(nUllSkillZ) #25

I’ve just sent an email to Activision (support on the german website) to ask them if and when the release of the SDKfinal will take place.

(wilks) #26

I would like to see tools and equipments around the allied waist,Etc ammo pounches,water bottle,gas mask bag,I wish i could take BJ model from RTCW the stuff around his waist to put around ET allied models waist.But i jsut dunno how :frowning:

(*NOB* Perica) #27

I don’t think they’ll release the tools. They could have done this already.

(jzero) #28

I’m on a mod team who is trying to work out the feasability of a port to ET. Our team lead came up with this post:

Now, this says that support for MD3 format remains usable in both RTCW and ET, of course, but is this true for character models as well?

For example, (owing to the lack of ET model tools) if I were to create a player model in Q3-style MD3 format, would this be usable in-game? Coding adjustments would be expected, of course. But if we could eliminate the need for MDS and MDX files, we would be that much closer to finishing our work.

/jzero

(No1_sonuk) #29

The player model system for ET is set up to use “bone” animations, not “vertex” animations.
Bone animations can use a common model skeleton, with the model vertices “attached” to the bones. This means that the file size can be relatively small, as only a single-frame pose of the model is required. The animation system then moves the vertices relative to the bones. RTCW’s MDS and ET’s MDM/MDX formats use this system.

The advantage of ET’s separate MDM model and MDX animation file system is that a common skeleton and animation set can be used with different player models. e.g. the Allies and Axis player models use the same MDX files, but different MDM files.

Q3’s MD3 animations (which, BTW, can be used for map models) has a vertex animation system. This means that for every frame, the position of every vertex needs to be stored - Kind of like the animation cells of a cartoon. This makes for larger file sizes, and it means that every model needs to be individually animated.

Mystiqq:
MD3 format map models are exactly the same format as used in Quake 3. MD3 creation tools have been available for quite a while. The problem is that, as I said above, ET doesn’t use MD3 character models.

(ikanatto) #30

Upcoming new version of LightRay3D seems to have a plugin to import and export mdm/mdx.

http://www.sxcreations.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=771

Anyway I have never used LightRay3D , does anyone know whether LD3D is easy to use for beginners like me?

(BigJake) #31

Upcoming new version of LightRay3D seems to have a plugin to import and export mdm/mdx.

I found a mdx exporter for Max but it couldn’t handle ET’s version so LightRay may not be able to handle it either.
ikanatto, how did you strip the animation (bip) file out of ET? I been looking for the complete bip file for RTCW.

(No1_sonuk) #32

EDIT: See below.

(ikanatto) #33

I found a mdx exporter for Max but it couldn’t handle ET’s version so LightRay may not be able to handle it either.

I think that mdx exporter you found is to deal with the Kingpin’s model format. isn’t it?

ikanatto, how did you strip the animation (bip) file out of ET? I been looking for the complete bip file for RTCW.

I have marged mdm and mdx into mds, then loaded it to Max with mds importer by Chris Cookson.

(BigJake) #34

I think that mdx exporter you found is to deal with the Kingpin’s model format. isn’t it?

I couldn’t remember where I got it from it been so long but your right it was for Kingpin.

I have marged mdm and mdx into mds, then loaded it to Max with mds importer by Chris Cookson.

Nice trick. Using that file in RTCW everything matches up except there seems to be an extra death scene.
Maybe I can cancel it out from the wolfanim.cfg

(Mystiqq) #35

Found info that at least LightRay3D will feature support for mdx/mdm etc support in the new upcoming version.

http://www.sxcreations.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=159&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Just wanted to post this if anyone cares… thou this was posted on June 3 this year and 1.3.6 version isnt out yet.

(YourFather_CZ) #36

How can I convert MDC file to MD3 file??? :???:

(Jaquboss) #37

that is another story Father , just you need to download mdc importer , but it is very similar format to MD3 ( MDC = compressed MD3 , but dont use MDC , you dont need to do that … , just export it as MD3 when you change it )

(YourFather_CZ) #38

Thanx, now how can I convert MDS file to MDM file? :???:

(Jaquboss) #39

Impossible :frowning: , unless you are very experienced , or u can learn , see http://mak.s13.xrea.com/ET/ , i hope you will understand it…
BTW: it is somewhat a hack , and result may not be perfect , so pay attention !

(YourFather_CZ) #40

Don’t laught me! I’m BIG nOOb. I care obout it only 3 days… :cool: