Petition: Tighten CoF/Increase Headshot Damage

(justince) #21

[QUOTE=Mattc0m;316521]I’m strongly against anything that changes core gameplay. I hope some of the issues can be addressed in regular play, but if it comes down between a mod that changes the core gameplay between “professional” and “vanilla” gameplay, it creates a divide that kills the competitive scene. If these changes can be added into the “vanilla” version of the game, patch in by Splash Damage, then sure–go for it. But creating two versions of the same game is just bad news.

What people fail to realize is that in order for a game to succeed in competition, it needs to grow, or at least not shrink. The competition scene will shrink a lot after the first 1 or 2 months as people go back to their old communities or new games are released. This is a given.

The growth that counters that comes from teams being formed after playing the actual game. As casual players get better, or former pros from other games play Brink, they get an itch to take it to the next level. They’re elevated (which is usually a rough transition) from casually playing Brink to joining in scrims, PUGs, etc. You’ve got your next wave of competitive gamers.

What a Pro mod often does is essentially say “hey, new gamers, we’re not interested in you.” It’s the “experienced” competitors creating an artificial wall between the core game and “their” version of the game. It does nothing but affirm the top team’s position, creates barriers for new teams, and stagnates growth of the scene.

Often times a pro mod will have good intentions and brings needed additions like demos, ready up mode, better spectator features, better anti-cheat abilities, and minor gameplay changes like spawn times. I’m all for this. In fact, I was hugely in favor of ETQWPro because it brought so many needed changes. But, major changes to accuracy, damage, guns, speed, health, buffs, etc. can be introduced on top, embraced by a vocal “hardcore” competitive crowd, and ultimately it’s that same “vocal” crowd that will move back to whatever game community they’re so found of (whether it’s Counter Strike, Call of Duty, or Enemy Territory).

Brink is not those games. Yes, gunplay can be a bit spammy. Yes, sometimes nades, mines, and buffs play a bigger role than an individual’s aim. What you fail to realize is that it’s a team game and teamplay, strategies, tactics, and the ability for teams to adapt are not only more important, but it’s the focus of the game.

Please embrace Brink for what it is, or move on. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to keep a community united (playing the SAME GAME). Furthermore, it frustrates me, because the same audience that calls for big gameplay changes are NOT the people who see playing 2 or 3 seasons from now, living with the consequences of their decisions, because they’re ultimately unsatisfied with the game or want something that game simply isn’t.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.

The problem is, there’s zero skill for gunplay or the individual to shine.

Zero.

Nothing is competitive when anyone can do it theoretically right off the bat. I’m totally with this game being team oriented, but there NEEDS to be a funnel that contributes to a team just because the player is exceptionally good at aiming and is a smart player.

There’s none of that now.
This NEEDS to be addressed. There has not been one successful competitive fps that was this easy to aim. Or even NEAR it. It makes cod4 look hard to shoot in. Not to mention your fps sense must be multiplied by an unknown number since 0 times x is 0. And normally i laugh at cod for it being retard easy to pick up and play since the shooting mechanics are easy (yet you still have to be a smart player and be pretty good at movement). This sets the new bar for it. By FAR. I don’t think this game even deserves to be compared to cs in terms of your individual skill needed to play.

That’s bad.

(highone) #22

I find when Rambos qq about not being able to kill 1 vs 3 I smile more.

I find the teamwork > Rambo refreshing personally.

not signed

I’ll wait till it’s been longer than 10 days before I start telling the devs what they should have done and start asking for game changes based on past games they had nothing to do with.

I don’t want it to be like any other game. COD changes? CS:S Changes? TF2 Changes?

Nahh… it’s Brink. Let it be Brink.

Love the QQ though.

:penguin:

(justince) #23

[QUOTE=highone;316547]I find when Rambos qq about not being able to kill 1 vs 3 I smile more.

I find the teamwork > Rambo refreshing personally.

not signed

I’ll wait till it’s been longer than 10 days before I start telling the devs what they should have done and start asking for game changes based on past games they had nothing to do with.

I don’t want it to be like any other game. COD changes? CS:S Changes? TF2 Changes?

Nahh… it’s Brink. Let it be Brink.

Love the QQ though.

:penguin:[/QUOTE]

Hate to be frank, but it’s the response of someone that can’t play other games because they take skill…

If you disrespect the ability to 3v1, what is the competition in that? Where’s the skill needed to compete? Mediocre amounts of teamwork?
I know this game is fresh, but the difference between an invite and main 1.6 team is not just their individual ability, but it’s mainly their chemistry is just retarded good.
There’s a balance. And it takes a lot of skill. Hey, maybe thats why there’s been millions of dollars funneled into competition of cs?
The skill cap of this game will be reached within a few months because once the best setups are found, noone can consistently outgun eachother to make a difference.
There’s no crying involved. It’s people that know better about a competitive game stating an extreme issue about the game that is setting it back. And to keep it pub friendly, all they need to do is change two guns - one smg, one rifle - and pubkids can pub all day with no alteration to there game, and competitive players can play a more competitive game on the vanilla version of the game.

Simple.

(chasm) #24

[QUOTE=Mattc0m;316521]
Please embrace Brink for what it is, or move on. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to keep a community united (playing the SAME GAME). Furthermore, it frustrates me, because the same audience that calls for big gameplay changes are NOT the people who see playing 2 or 3 seasons from now, living with the consequences of their decisions, because they’re ultimately unsatisfied with the game or want something that game simply isn’t.[/QUOTE]

It is nearly impossible to embrace Brink in its current state…as with any new shooter, there is always something not suited for competitive play (cod4 for example). I am against any major changes to the core game mechanics (buffs, abilities, objectives), but the ridiculous spread is something that needs to go. Also the majority of the guns need a slight tweaking so it isn’t the same gerund/carb/kross loadout.

(Beermachine) #25

/signed.

I agree completely about helping people transition from casual to competition play to get new blood into the scene, and from reading the posts on crossfire it was SD’s original intention, with an ingame advanced feature with more competitive friendly settings.

The thing is, the logic fall down when you consider something as simple as FF enabled which radically changes the strategy and flow of the game, and to keep the divide as small as possible should this also be disabled for comp play? :stuck_out_tongue:

(prophett) #26

It would be nice if splash damage provided a cvar for reduced weapon spread :]

(INF3RN0) #27

Signed. But I think the current cone spread on the SMG is good since it should be the only real spray weapon (aside from miniguns). ARs should have tight line spread. Heavy weapons should have only Y axis recoil when scoped and possibly reduced spread. Unscoped heavy weapons should be the only weapons with any X-axis recoil as well.

(Pakaa) #28

I’m all for the reduce spread/increase recoil sentiment, that’d be a good start for making other weapons than the SMGs more viable, but most importantly it’ll make even the SMGs more fun to use, doesn’t change the current gameplay too much and it’s probably a fairly easy thing to fix for SD.

Spread is for consoles, recoil is for the big boys, SD already realizes this but they didn’t go far enough with this initial release. There’s still plenty of time to change it!

(Luk) #29

[QUOTE=Pakaa;316591]
Spread is for consoles, recoil is for the big boys, SD already realizes this but they didn’t go far enough with this initial release. There’s still plenty of time to change it![/QUOTE]

Agreed.
/signed

(Zzxyz.Rd) #30

I totally agree with Mattc0m on the matter of not creating a barrier between the levels of play. At the same time I do want to see more skill determined in gunfights as of right now, I’m even finding it more effecient on most occasions to pretty much just spray at a persons chest than trying to go for the head (maybe a slight exaggeration but still you get the point). If more recoil, less spread or some other change would allow for a more so called “indvidual gunskill” then I am all for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that this is a true teamgame but at the same time there should be something to really allow people with better aim than others to have more of an advantage then the person that is worse at it. I just think some minor tweaks are needed, not that much of an overhaul, atleast on the PC where your aiming is much more precise then on consoles (no offense meant to console players). I hope it gets implemented in the near future since it probably would also make more people feel they want to keep playing the game since they are “improving”, casuals aswell as professional players.

Anyways signed, but only if it doesn’t mean anything that would harm the true purpose of the game, teamplay.

(justince) #31

[QUOTE=Zzxyz.Rd;316604]I totally agree with Mattc0m on the matter of not creating a barrier between the levels of play. At the same time I do want to see more skill determined in gunfights as right now, I’m even finding it more effecient on most occasions to pretty much just spray at a persons chest than trying to go for the head (maybe a slight exaggeration but still you get the point). If more recoil, less spread or some other change would allow for a more so called “indvidual gunskill” then I am all for it.

Don’t get me wrong, I love that this is a true teamgame but at the same time there should be something to really allow people with better aim than others to have more of an advantage then the person that is worse at it. I just think some minor tweaks are needed, not that much of an overhaul, atleast on the PC where your aiming is much more precise then on consoles (no offense meant to console players). I hope it gets implemented in the near future since it probably would also make more people feel they want to keep playing the game since they are “improving”, casuals aswell as professional players.

Anyways signed, but only if it doesn’t mean anything that would harm the true purpose of the game, teamplay.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I don’t want the teamplay harmed, but is tighetning the cone of fire on one smg, giving one rifle large ads accuracy but high recoil, reducing body damage and increasing headshot damage really going to kill this game’s teamwork?

No. Just gonna make it more competitive.

(RaKeD) #32

[QUOTE=justince;316618]Exactly. I don’t want the teamplay harmed, but is tighetning the cone of fire on one smg, giving one rifle large ads accuracy but high recoil, reducing body damage and increasing headshot damage really going to kill this game’s teamwork?

No. Just gonna make it more competitive.[/QUOTE]

That s exactly representing my estimation.It will make the game less arbitrary and much more comprehensible for the players.

(Vlane) #33

I totally agree with the CoF thing but don’t increase the headshot damage. The fact that OHK’s actually exist is very sad, because there were supposed to be none.

(riptide) #34

i agree with this.

(ToweL) #35

Yahhh this sounds good!

(Boltthrower) #36

Having 2 versions of rtcw and et certainly did not harm the game. If you were good at et pro you were good at shrub was not a huge deal.

(Rahabib) #37

using the soccer analogy, theres a lot of skill in passing, dribbling, etc. but this game feels like playing the game without goalies. it just feels off. players dont need to aim to score.

most sports evolve, we just hope that brink can tweak just a few things to make it more enjoyable.

(raib) #38

Agreed about spread, still on the fence about headshot damage. I can’t see how less randomness in gunplay would result in less of a team game. If anything, the randomness in outcomes of fights makes tactics less important.

I’d also like to see the entire game changed this way, instead of a promod or cvars.

(justince) #39

[QUOTE=raib;316802]Agreed about spread, still on the fence about headshot damage. I can’t see how less randomness in gunplay would result in less of a team game. If anything, the randomness in outcomes of fights makes tactics less important.

I’d also like to see the entire game changed this way, instead of a promod or cvars.[/QUOTE]

I’m fine with current headshot damage if they slightly reduce chest shot damage and leg damage so there’s more of an incentive to headshot.

(NeoRussia) #40

if they tighten the spread on automatic rifles and gave them more headshot damage this would fix so many problems. A buff to grenades might be nice too, especially grenade launcher grenades. IMO they should get rid of inaccuracy while moving/SMARTing altogether. When you move you are already at a disadvantage because the guy standing still is much more easily able to aim. These sorts of “artificial” aiming deductions/assists are not needed.