OpenWolf

(Vodin) #141

Greetings, my name is Vodin and I am the author of QIO engine.
QIO Engine is IOQuake fork started and maintained only by me since 2012.
The engine is almost entirely rewritten in C++ and supports several rendering backends and content from multiple Q3-based game engines.

I am sorry to say but those “Bullet physics”, “spotlights, shadows, bump mappings” and stuff videos are not originated from OpenWolf engine - they are from my Qio engine.
Dushan (Dusan Jocic, TheDushan) cloned my engine from here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/qio/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/code/server/
Here is the revision log (up to 500 code commits, all by myself):
https://sourceforge.net/p/qio/code/532/log/?path=

TheDushan just changed the name and few other things and started acting like he’s the author of all the features.
I think this is very childish and unethical of him and I’m displeased because that’s not the first time.
He had already done that with my “Doom3 CM in RTCW engine” (cm_api.cpp etc) few years ago.

I know that’s GPL, but he should AT LEAST mention my name as the author of the features in his new videos. I was never a part of OpenWolf project and I have nothing to do with it.

Those are entirely movies from my QIO engine - unmodified - he just downloaded it from my Repo (available since 2012) and published it as his.

@Dushan I don’t know how old are you but you should realize that you’ve acted in a very unfriendly and unethical manner. I know that my code is freely available as GPL on Sourceforge repo but it doesn’t mean you can act like that. I gently ask you to modify the posts, put down the videos, acknowledge me as the code author and apologize me in those topics. Then I can consider working with you on it for the sake of community. Take it like a man.

Also, please note that the RTCW support in my QIO engine is very basic and it’s far from being a playable game. Altough I can extend it if you want…

Anyway, I have put up a channel for my Qio Engine (that’s the source of all new features and I am the author of it) with some of videos:

Qio Engine: test_physics map (Bullet Physics and dynamic shadows)

Qio Engine: Testing Bump and Parallax Mapping

Qio Engine: HL2-style physgun test on test_physics

Qio Engine: ragdoll models (Doom3 Articulated Figures support)

Qio Engine: Open World - Car Physics - Sun Shadow Mapping - 32k x 32k map (Q3 units)

Qio Engine: Quake3 support - q3dm0 - Quake3 Items Bullet Realistic Physics - Q3 Plasma Gun and Rocket Launcher

Qio Engine: Testing RTCW BSP (xlabs)

Qio Engine: Testing Doom3 Weapons (Plasma Gun, MachineGun, Rocket Launcher)

Qio Engine: Testing Half Life 2 (Source Engine) models

Qio Engine: Testing Counter Strike: Source world map (BSP) and Entities Physics

Qio Engine: Very Early CS 1.6 BSP support - de_dust testing

Here is the full FEATURES.txt from my svn:
http://pastebin.com/gCpD08HD

PS: It’s funny that Dushan didn’t announced “adding ragdolls to OpenWolf” yet. I guess he didn’t know that this feature was also available in Qio ;s

@Eugeny - It’s nice you’re still on. I’ve worked with you under another nickname in the past. Did you manage to fix the shaders bug in Victors codebase?

(Vodin) #142

Greetings, my name is Vodin and I am the author of QIO engine.
QIO Engine is IOQuake fork started and maintained only by me since 2012.
The engine is almost entirely rewritten in C++ and supports several rendering backends and content from multiple Q3-based game engines.

I am sorry to say but those “Bullet physics”, “spotlights, shadows, bump mappings” and stuff videos are not originated from OpenWolf engine - they are from my Qio engine.
Dushan (Dusan Jocic, TheDushan) cloned my engine from here:
https://sourceforge.net/p/qio/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/code/server/
Here is the revision log (up to 500 code commits, all by myself):
https://sourceforge.net/p/qio/code/532/log/?path=

TheDushan just changed the name of my engine and started acting like he’s the author of all the features.
I think this is very childish and unethical of him and I’m displeased because that’s not the first time.
He had already done that with my “Doom3 CM in RTCW engine” (cm_api.cpp etc) few years ago.

I know that’s GPL, but he should AT LEAST mention my name as the author of the features in his new videos. I was never a part of OpenWolf project and I have nothing to do with it.

Those are entirely screenshots from my QIO engine - unmodified - he just downloaded it from my Repo (available since 2012) and published it as his.

@Dushan I don’t know how old are you but you should realize that you’ve acted in a very unfriendly and unethical manner. I know that my code is freely available as GPL on Sourceforge repo but it doesn’t mean you can act like that. I gently ask you to modify the posts, put down the videos, acknowledge me as the code author and apologize me in those topics. Then I can consider working with you on it for the sake of community. Take it like a man.

Also, please note that the RTCW support in my QIO engine is very basic and it’s far from being a playable game. Altough I can extend it if you want…

Anyway, I have put up a channel for my Qio Engine (that’s the source of all new features and I am the author of it) with some of videos:

Qio Engine: test_physics map (Bullet Physics and dynamic shadows)

Qio Engine: Testing Bump and Parallax Mapping

Qio Engine: HL2-style physgun test on test_physics

Qio Engine: ragdoll models (Doom3 Articulated Figures support)

Qio Engine: Open World - Car Physics - Sun Shadow Mapping - 32k x 32k map (Q3 units)

Qio Engine: Quake3 support - q3dm0 - Quake3 Items Bullet Realistic Physics - Q3 Plasma Gun and Rocket Launcher

Qio Engine: Testing RTCW BSP (xlabs)

Qio Engine: Testing Doom3 Weapons (Plasma Gun, MachineGun, Rocket Launcher)

Qio Engine: Testing Half Life 2 (Source Engine) models

Qio Engine: Testing Counter Strike: Source world map (BSP) and Entities Physics

Qio Engine: Very Early CS 1.6 BSP support - de_dust testing

Here is the full FEATURES.txt from my svn:
http://pastebin.com/gCpD08HD

PS: It’s funny that Dushan didn’t announced “adding ragdolls to OpenWolf” yet. I guess he didn’t know that this feature was also available in Qio ;s

@Eugeny - It’s nice you’re still on. I’ve worked with you under another nickname in the past. Did you manage to fix the shaders bug in Victors codebase?

(KeMoN) #143

Hello Vodin,
Thank you for the clarification! I have been a great fan of the presented work in this thread, so if you are the original author then my thanks goes also out to you. The situation you present would explain why the roadmap etc of this project was always kept rather in the dark, but before speculations arise I’d like to wait for a statement by TheDushan.
Again, thank you and I hope these circumstances won’t keep you from supporting RtCW?

Cheers

(Vodin) #144

I didn’t announce the QIO project earlier because it was a bigger experiment than Xreal or OpenWolf stuff. I don’t like to publish buggy and untested stuff. I have rewritten almost everything in C++, including renderer, game, cgame etc. but it also introduced lower reliability because of the lack of the testers.
I’ve basically done what Valve did with Id Tech - my engine now works more like Source or Doom3 - only Q3 core and networking is left intact.
TheDushan, on other hand, just mostly copied stuff from other engines, like Tr3b’s XReal etc.

I you still have any doubts regarding the source of my engine, you can check the revisions log of Qio SVN. It clearly shows what I did, starting with IOQuake revision 2318.

Every my change and commit that lead to the current state of Qio is documented here (with the date and description of changes):

There are hundreds of those revisions and you can browse all of them freely.

The RTCW matter…
Well, I am kinda digusted with the things that Dushan did. I am not sure if I want to be the part of open source community, altough RTCW is one of my favourite games.

Is there any programmer or modder who is willing to contribute to RTCW support in Qio?

RTCW is a bit specific, because it game models are composed of separate .mdc’s. Also, player head models are separate meshes and they are using keyframe animations, while the body models are skeletals (mds).

Do you guys want RTCW multiplayer support or singleplayer (with the AI etc.)?

The network protocol compatibility is out of the question because it would break and/or complicate a lot of things. In the other matters I’m open to any proposals.

PS: I have basic .mds (RTCW skeletal animations) support which I hvent commited yet:

(RTCW loper model - without head, because head is a separate mesh with keyframed animation)

(Dushan) #145

I don’t hide that you did all the work, and that I forked Qio
trust is the truth
I cannot say anything bad and I will not say

EDIT: little clarification, so there don’t be any confusion

on that youtube links, I did integrate code what you did on Qio, in my old engine, but it was mostly hacks …
because of that I didn’t want to publish code,
EDIT: I did follow your changes and added iton my old codebase, as GPL allowed it (as I said in video fies, I added, I never said that I created them).
also I would like to be clear, I did fork your codebase, cleaned little and rebranded with keeping you as original copyrighted owner in all files, with all changes, with all comments what you made …
Truth is the truth, fact is fact and I don’t hide anything.
As I told before, for me it is simple, I really don’t care about name, if I work on master repo (Qio) or with my fork what I forked from Qio (OpenWolf)…
People can see by original copyright owner and year in copyright who did code and all the work, in all files what are on github
Also I never said that I am original author of anything from here (or in latest videos), please keep that in mind.
I also don’t hide that fact, also would like that everyone know that I didn’t cross anything what GPL is allowing or not allowing …

EDIT: For me it is important, can we make agreement and work together, or we will work on separated projects?

(Vodin) #146

Well, the fact is you have showed here videos from pure (or 99.9% - label changed) Qio and labeled them “OpenWolf” and this in my opinion is bad and unethical.

I have single request:
Please remove (or just make private, youtube has this feature) those videos, because the content there is Qio engine with Qio maps etc. and they have nothing to do with OpenWolf.

If you do that, then I’m okay with working together on my Qio engine.

Anyway, can you tell me what would be your goal with this project? I can give you access to master repo.

One more thing: The OpenWolf engine was based on Xreal renderer etc. And that’s what was OpenWolf for me.
Why did you change the name of Qio to OpenWolf? That’s a very different engine with different architecture.
This is IMHO a bad decision because now we have two different “OW” (“OpenWolf”) engines, one is based on Xreal and second is my Qio with very minor changes (if any).

BTW Dushan: for the record, the .proc is a BSP tree WITHOUT PVS (Potential Visibility Set). Only BSP and portals. The PVS is computed on every map load as in the Doom3 (see idPVS class). Do not correct my comments unless you are 100% sure that you know better :smiley:

(Dushan) #147

If that is unethical for you, and that is my problem for shown videos of my fork with your work
I will delete it, like I said, I don’t have any problem (so there be peace) … and it is not a problem with for me.

OpenWolf was updated ET-GPL with Xreal renderer like you say, when I forked Qio, you was missing for months and I didn’t know how to make contact with you, (if you remember, I even posted something on Sourceforge - you can see date of that post), I forked and contained with development (not much because I last few months I have much free time) with new name OWEngine (I didn’t want the same name like with my old project, because they are not the same thing and because it is forked from different codebase (NOTE:I didn’t want to follow your changes and to integrate it in my old source).
EDIT: and I didn’t want to open new thread for new project …
once again, I didn’t do anything what would violate GPL license

The truth is, I want to use it for my own personal project and as demonstration of engine capabilities …
Btw, you all know that when you fork some project, on start you begin with very minor changes, just see what Unvanquished did with my old project and where they are now…

EDIT: I made mistake in documentation for PVS and I will fix it

(Teuthis) #148

I’m a total fan of these results. Think you two can have a serious impact on this game. I hope I can play one day ET on this engine.

Great work guys.

(Eugeny) #149

License text on 2012/09/24

/*

OpenWolf GPL Source Code
Copyright © 1999-2010 id Software LLC, a ZeniMax Media company.

This file is part of the OpenWolf GPL Source Code (OpenWolf Source Code).

OpenWolf Source Code is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

OpenWolf Source Code is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with OpenWolf Source Code. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

In addition, the OpenWolf Source Code is also subject to certain additional terms.
You should have received a copy of these additional terms immediately following the
terms and conditions of the GNU General Public License which accompanied the OpenWolf
Source Code. If not, please request a copy in writing from id Software at the address
below.

If you have questions concerning this license or the applicable additional terms, you
may contact in writing id Software LLC, c/o ZeniMax Media Inc., Suite 120, Rockville,
Maryland 20850 USA.

===========================================================================
*/

(Mustang) #150

Yay for everyone staying friendly and having a good open source spirit!

If I’m not mistaken GPL says you should credit your sources though, I think this is the point Vodin is making.

(Dushan) #151

[QUOTE=Mustang;541728]Yay for everyone staying friendly and having a good open source spirit!

If I’m not mistaken GPL says you should credit your sources though, I think this is the point Vodin is making.[/QUOTE]

I understand,and I have added “notes” on my initial comment on GitHub.
I really didn’t do anything what is violating GPL license, and you all know

(Spyhawk) #152

Now I understand why you didn’t want to share the commit history of “your” work… :smiley:

@Vodin: Thanks for your work. You’re awesome.

(Vodin) #153

There is a difference between violating some license and violating the ethics…

Anyway, I have invited Dushan to Qio project so he can work hard for his redemption.

So… is there any other coder who is willing to contribute to Qio engine?

(Teuthis) #154

Just out of curiousity, how is mapping for this engine? Can the GTK radiant be used? Something similar available? Can existing maps made in Radiant be converted to this engine?

(trAnc3) #155

Why not, this engine just gives ability to parse .bsp of different protocols(q3, et …), so i dont see a problem to use any suitable editor for your maps. But what’s more intersting, is the ability to load .map directly in game engine, Dushan was talking about this somewhere in the post, would be nice to try that out.

(Vodin) #156

Obviously Radiant is supported and you’re welcome to convert your maps to Qio. If you have your own .shader / .mtr set with textures, then I can even put your .map to our SVN and list you as one of the engine contributors.

My Qio engine is extremally flexible, altough there are still compatibility issues. Almost all engine modules are written from scratch by me - there is almost no q3/d3 code in renderer, etc.
The supported level formats are:

• Quake3 maps (support is good enough to render q3dm0 etc without problems)
  • RTCW / ET maps (they are almost the same as Q3, no problems here)
  • MoHAA maps (without MoH terrain patches and static models)
  • Doom3 / Quake4 maps (.proc support, it still requires some fixes and optimisation)
    There is also basic support for Source Engine maps (you could make your in Hammer editor, but it would require some work) and some Quake2, Quake1
    I have also partially reverse-enginered CoD (Call of Duty) and ET:QW (Enemy Territory: Quake Wars) world formats but they are really far from being useable.
    You could also create your world in Blender/3DSMax and export to .obj, but this is also experimental atm and won’t support lightmaps.

I also have my own QIO BSP format, which is basically a Q3 bsp with additional portals data for realtime portal culling. This is basically a world map format which features both .proc-style culling and .bsp-style culling. The QIOBSP are compiled by QioMap compiler (modified q3map).
I am going to adapt q3map2 to Qio someday as well.

If you have any suggestions on which format should be supported (for world maps or models etc) just say here and I’ll definetely consider it.

I don’t know about the state of .map loader in old Dushan’s engine. but loading .map in my Qio is working altough right now it’s not the best option because .map files have no visibility/portals data. ID Software developed q3map and similiar compilers because rendering levels without extra culling data is simply slow.
Loading .map files directly could be used for open-world maps, while compiled .bsps are still better for indoor levels.

PS: some screenshots
Doom3 mars city .proc loaded along with ragdolls (still needs optimisation):

Quake3 q3dm0 (note that .shader support - written from scratch in C++ - is good enough to render it correctly)

Quake3 q3dm1 with some physics objects (note that objects are shaded corretcly - lightgrid data is used)

A very big open world map made by me in Radiant - the lighting here is fully dynamic and split shadow mapping is used so that far objects are still casting shadows. The small physics objects on the ground (barrels and boxes) are casting little shadows as well.

NOTE for mappers: this open world map has 32 000 x 32 000 Radiant units size.

(Teuthis) #157

Very nice. I would love to see my maps on this engine. All pk3 files I made are open source and contain all shader (custom and self made) plus corresponding textures. Both, teuthonia_final and siwa_teuthonia can be downloaded from wolffiles

No need to include me in the contributer list, I just want to see this game alive :wink:

PS: consider joining twt, a crew of mapper and modder and coder. No clan, no strings attached, just ET enthusiasts…

(Vodin) #158

[QUOTE=Teuthis;541934]Very nice. I would love to see my maps on this engine. All pk3 files I made are open source and contain all shader (custom and self made) plus corresponding textures. Both, teuthonia_final and siwa_teuthonia can be downloaded from wolffiles

I have tested those maps and the pk3s are not containing all shaders used my .bsp file.

You are most likely using shaders from Enemy Territory data, which I don’t have installed right now.

(Teuthis) #159

[QUOTE=Vodin;541938]I have tested those maps and the pk3s are not containing all shaders used my .bsp file.

You are most likely using shaders from Enemy Territory data, which I don’t have installed right now.[/QUOTE]

Ahhh, understand. The shader for the floor is made by me and included in the pk3 but the original textures and original shaders is what you are missing.

(Dragonji) #160

So this is the real history of “Dushan’s” engine. Signing someone’s work with his own name. Pathetic.

Thank you for your posts Vodin! I really appreciate your work, it’s awesome what you’re doing with this old engine.