Nobody to get rid of bots here?

(Nail) #41

yet another

jzqo7142

it’s unfortunate most of these are Polish, it makes a great country look bad, used to be Estonia that screwed everyone over

(KeMoN) #42

Sooooo, any progress on this issue?
Can’t you ‘just’ use a different authentification form for registration? It’s really getting out of hand.

(Kl3ppy) #43

The measures you took are not working.

(Chris Mullins) #44

The system we’re using learns and gets better the longer you use it, however a better authentication process when creating an account wouldn’t go amiss.

(rookie1) #45

Sometime its feel like the system is taking a nap :stuck_out_tongue:

(edxot) #46

the learning system has the “number of posts” as an input variable ?

maybe changing the system to require human approval for every 1st post would do the trick.

(Chris Mullins) #47

Currently looking into getting a capcha set up too which should help things :slight_smile:

(Chris Mullins) #48

Oki doke, so we now have a capcha on for when people make new accounts. Let’s see how this improves things, and let us know if you notice a difference.

(edxot) #49

look’s like it didnt work
not the result that me (and everyone) was expecting

i confess i always preferred the bot vs bot aproach
just need a bot that can’t produce false positives (still usefull to clean a lot of the true positives)
the bot might have to be able to google some stuff, hehehe
just saying, one can always dream

(Nail) #50

they aren’t bots, it’s people

(montheponies) #51

honestly i’ve got to the point were i cba opening up the forum due to the wall of spam - are there no plans to update the forums (presuming that will patch out the current crop of spam)??

(Chris Mullins) #52

Hmm ok. I’ll see what else there is we can do to improve the situation.

(Nail) #53

if you look at the members list, just checking today’s sign ups will show a bunch of obvious garbage
Salteh is the intern, make him do it

(UnaSalusVictus) #54

actually its almost certently xrummer (google it) there are ways to minimize/block it but it means installing several 3rd party plugins/addons that togather make it very rare that the bots get thru.

capcha dosnt work anymore the bots are updated to get around it.

(_milla) #55

there is option to allow registration with facebook or steam account only on vbulletin software.Or maybe move to xenforo or invisionpower. both are okey.

(AssortedStuff) #56

Not sure if it’s possible as I don’t have any experience with managing forums but here is an idea:
implementing a “script” (or any other kind of automatic measure) that would automatically flag a users’ 1st post if it was a link and suspend their account until reviewed by a moderator.

Many of the spam posts are 1st posts, and are links.

(alphabeta) #57

Yeah because the general SD DB forums are now almost half spam

(Kl3ppy) #58

tbh, I really dont care anymore. Since month we have this issue and SD was not able to deliver a working solution. I’m tired of deleting threads, I just dont visit the forums that regulary anymore.

(Chris Mullins) #59

Hey guys,

We’re chasing down our new spam protectors to see if they can offer us anymore support.

In the meantime we’re making some changes to how new accounts work (namely if they post a link, that post needs to be approve by a moderator) which should see a quick reduction in spam. We’ll keep an eye on things and review our changes to see if we can do anything else to improve it further.

Thanks for your patience.
shoe.

(Nail) #60

[QUOTE=shoe.;556621]Hey guys,

We’re chasing down our new spam protectors to see if they can offer us anymore support.

In the meantime we’re making some changes to how new accounts work (namely if they post a link, that post needs to be approve by a moderator) which should see a quick reduction in spam. We’ll keep an eye on things and review our changes to see if we can do anything else to improve it further.

Thanks for your patience.
shoe.[/QUOTE]

it ain’t workin