New Mercenary idea- Mace

(the_cool_master) #1

(Jessie Mace)
Class- Engineer
HP- 140
Speed- 380

Profile- Jessie is 25 and a Southerner that was a student of one of Bushwacker’s Industrial Arts class. she wanted to be a engineer when she got out of school, but as she came from a poor family she could not fulfill her dreams so she had to drop out of school when she was 16, but when she had the chance she would study a book (when ever she could afford one) about engineering. As she got older her and her family was running out of money so she decided to become a mercenary to help her family out and get a little action in her life.

Ability
Cooldown- 30 seconds

The ability is that she can place a stationary mountable turret (it is just a tripod with a mountable turret head no Shield with the turret.), it can be destroyed and has about 170 heath. She places a tripod first but then she has to build the turret head, anybody from any team can mount the turret once it is built also anybody from any team can build it (assuming it is not built already) of course engineers build it faster then any other mercenary (engineer it takes 4 seconds to build anybody else it takes 6 seconds.) Once built it can not be picked up, you half to wait the full 30 seconds to place another one, But it can be picked up if not built all the way. Once you place one if you place another one the first one will be destroyed. The turret can only swivel to a 140 degree angle.

Weapons-
Primary- Blishlok, KEK-10, Crotzni
Secondary-Caulden, M9, Selbstadt .40
Melee-Stilnotto Stiletto, Cricket Bat, Beckhill Combat Knife

(Demonic_Muff1n) #2

wait so just to clear things up the turret head ability is pretty much like tachanka in r6 siege but without the machine gun?

(AlbinMatt) #3

I love the idea of a heavy engineer, though for what you trade out with Bushy (namely speed and turret flexibility) the mounted MG that you have to make as if this was an IKEA product seems rather underpowered (or severely overpower in the right area, Barriers generator in Underground?). Perhaps a more offensive ability might make her worth it. I always imagined Kira’s laser, but on a smaller​scale, and can be aimed manually indoors (though this is your merc, you can decide whatever she’s going to be).

Also merc name… Statmother? As in Mother of Stationary Stuff. That also gives us other ideas. Maybe we can make her some sort of deployable tinkerer, so maybe she doesn’t have aasny deployable of her own, but she can upgrade Aura stations, Bush turrets, Stokes or Kiora’s Ammo stations, etc. Though tue title"mother" seems inappropriate​ for a 25 year old.

I genuinely think we can make her work. Love the backstory too. Though it’ll be real awkward when she is on the opposite team as Bushwacker.

(the_cool_master) #4

Well I never played r6 siege and i never heard of tachanka untill i read your post. I say this because I don’t want anybody to think i stole this idea, But ya I looked up tachanka and i do guess it does seem like that character off of r6 siege .

(the_cool_master) #5

[quote=“AlbinMatt;c-226994”]I love the idea of a heavy engineer, though for what you trade out with Bushy (namely speed and turret flexibility) the mounted MG that you have to make as if this was an IKEA product seems rather underpowered (or severely overpower in the right area, Barriers generator in Underground?). Perhaps a more offensive ability might make her worth it. I always imagined Kira’s laser, but on a smaller​scale, and can be aimed manually indoors (though this is your merc, you can decide whatever she’s going to be).

Also merc name… Statmother? As in Mother of Stationary Stuff. That also gives us other ideas. Maybe we can make her some sort of deployable tinkerer, so maybe she doesn’t have aasny deployable of her own, but she can upgrade Aura stations, Bush turrets, Stokes or Kiora’s Ammo stations, etc. Though tue title"mother" seems inappropriate​ for a 25 year old.

I genuinely think we can make her work. Love the backstory too. Though it’ll be real awkward when she is on the opposite team as Bushwacker.[/quote]

Thanks for your input I really do appreciate it. The fact that you half to build the turret makes it a bit more difficult or in my eyes makes it balanced so you can’t just run behind a corner while being Chased or something like that and place it then just mow down the other team you will half to build it to use it and the turret would be like the turrets in other maps so it will over heat but it has a high rate of fire.

(the_cool_master) #6

bump

(Naonna) #7

With Turtle now in the game, I’m going to have to ‘nope’ this. The lack-of-risk of being headshot now makes this ability EXTREMELY powerful on locking down a chokepoint when combined with the immunity provided by Turtle’s shield.

(Loafus) #8

My favorite part of this is the tripod, but does that have to be the only thing that she can build on it? What if she had two tripods that could do one of a variety of options, but not two of the same (I. E., the mountable MG would be slightly weaker, but she can also place down a tripod that disables nearby deployables like mines and stuff). Get creative with your merc, especially if they’re an engineer.

(Loafus) #9

My favorite part of this is the tripod, but does that have to be the only thing that she can build on it? What if she had two tripods that could do one of a variety of options, but not two of the same (I. E., the mountable MG would be slightly weaker, but she can also place down a tripod that disables nearby deployab

(Naonna) #10

k, first, double-post. Second, phantom already disables deployables and is NOT an engineer. Most engineers seem to be focused on denying an area for the duration of their ability (in one form or another) Fletcher being a possible exception, though his stickies can still be used as a deterrent.

While i appriciate the idea of a slow-to-construct monster-ability, the fact that the ability interacts too well with turtle or while team-stacked means that abilities with that power level may not be applicable to public games with no character limits.

(the_cool_master) #11

That is true I made this merc idea before turtle was in game.

(Deathawk101) #12

You kinda need mace to be a little more different than bushy

(the_cool_master) #13

Bump?

(Mr.Cuddlesworth) #14

was hoping for Mace Windu…

(LifeupOmega) #15

More defensive heavy mercs that further slow down the game just aren’t a good call rn.

(Muddy Muddy Mud Nade) #16

I agree that having a merc that slows down the game isn’t a good idea, but I disagree with the notion that having a merc who can stand behind a Turtle shield and lockdown an area would be suddenly broken with the introduction of Mace. Vassili, Aimee, Redeye, Hunter, hell even Rhino and Thunder can do the same thing while also bringing more utility (except maybe Rhino, but he at least has a huge healthpool and hitbox for enemies to shoot at instead of the more important teammates). Not to mention the fact that Mace would have the disadvantage of not being able to move in her turret, while the mercs I mentioned are all free to move. If someone called an Arty strike or Kira laser on Mace, she would just have to let her turret die, or get in a few last shots before she gets smited.
Cool idea for a merc, just not optimal for Dirty Bomb right now.
Also, LMG MOUNTED AND LOADED

(AlbinMatt) #17

Whoo man, now I want Mace in here just for the freshly baked memes

(the_cool_master) #18

I see what you mean but i think it could go both ways. You could place down a turret then leave it to bait the other team to the turret or if you are smart about it you could be aggressive and get it set down to the front lines by use of turtles Shield (I mean he is kinda suppose to be used as cover) but i can see the one guy that just sits back the entire game and waits to maybe get the one unlucky guy trying to flank but with all mercs you get people that can hold up the game it can happen with any merc. But still thank you guys with the feed back :slight_smile: . (And keeping this post alive for when the forms had a place for all the peoples merc ideas. A peace of the past still lives!)

(the_cool_master) #19

I got to say thanks to everyone who has looked at this idea of mine, I made this when they still had a little number of mercs and had a section dedicated to merc ideas I still love my little idea but it sadly will never come to be but I had fun reading what everyone had to say for it I’m sad that dirty bomb is dieing but from when I started till when it died it was loads of fun!

(Press E) #20

Apparently I missed this thread’s existence, but this place is kinda dead so I’m gonna list my thoughts anyways without reading the other replies lol

I think it’s an interesting idea and I like how you’ve tried to balance it, but even with the long deploy/build time, limited health and fairly lengthly cooldown, you’re still looking at something that would be really effective at locking down areas. There’s a reason normal MGs are only in a few select areas, and wide open ones at that. MGs are just extremely powerful, even worse if you placed it next to a teammate on an existing MG or had 2 or more Mace players on one team. Sure a sniper might be able to take one down at range, but there are only a few areas where that’s practical, and this would be mobile.
DB currently has a lot of ways to completely lock down an advancing team, but not a lot of ways to really counter that. Adding in another defensive ability, and a powerful one at that, might just be too much
I’m not really sure how I’d even fix her MG though. Maybe give it an extremely narrow FOV of like 25 or something so it’s easier to get out of the way and harder to completely block chokepoints? Maybe an ammo counter too, low enough that you’ll usually run out before the cooldown is up. Maybe one that’s refillable by fire supports? Or maybe Mace could sacrifice her own ammo for it

Also Mace’s weapons are pretty generic too. I get this is from 2017 though so I guess I can’t really fault it, but Bush and Turtle are already incredibly similar mercs, so adding another one that used pretty much the same weapon pool would be eh. I think a good idea would be to turn her into the guardian equivalent of an engi, maybe give her some unusual but slightly more assault-y guns like the shar-c, hurtsall/dreiss/etc? Also worth considering that bush and turtle are kinda boring to play since they only have one defensive ability with a fairly long cooldown. I’d consider giving her a secondary ability or maybe a guardian-esq passive, even if it’s minor just to shake it up