[New Map Release] - Western Beta 1

(-SSF-Sage) #1

Hello!

Even the best servers have downtime these days. Here is a map that is fun to fool around alone but also has adrenaline filled map objectives for 2-32 players!

There are also many scripted mini games, trickjumps and other things to explore and to practise the most important skills while waiting for friends to join! Once they join you will have even more fun fragging or grabbing the objectives.

Map:

Western - First Public Beta

Target player count:

1-32, supports up to 64

Gametypes:

Objectives, Last Man Standing, Omnibot, Frag, 1on1, Trickjumps, Fun & games, Practise skills

Story:

Sheriff has put some Sabio Gang members in Jail after a long night of committing hostile deeds. The Gang in dark coats is up to free their Fellows.

If you decide your Fellows deserve their nights in Jail you can find multiple other ways to entertain yourself in the lovely Western town of Pegaso Pass.

Objectives:

[B]Axis:[/B]

1] Destroy the Gunsmith's door
	2] Steal two packs of Dynamite
	3] Steal a Detonator		
	4] Prepare the Detonator!
	5] Activate and defend the Detonator for 30 seconds!

[B]Allies:[/B]

1] Don't let them destroy the Gunsmith's door
	2] Don't let them steal two packs of Dynamite!
	3] Don't let them steal a Detonator!
	4] Don't let them prepare the Detonator!
	5] Disable the detonator before the 30 second timer runs out!

Screenshots:

Download
Includes waypoint files.

Ps. Looking forward to hear feedback and ideas. This map is being developed further. Because this is on beta stage, not all decorations are added yet.

(TomTom7777) #2

Wow so many Easter eggs! And I may have cracked one unintended :wink:

you may have seen this already but as an Allied engineer plant dynamite at the built detonator and wait for it to blow.
reported in the console:

Planted at the Health and Ammo Cabinets.
ERROR: 'trigger_objective_info' has a missing target '(null)'

----- Server Shutdown -----
==== ShutdownGame ====

I think it might be a spawn flag issue with “detonator_toi”.

or maybe you intended to make the detonator damageable, but in my tests in vanilla ET and FritzBot_ET it just crashes the map.
(bsp tested has file date Aug 8 10:19p.m.)

(-SSF-Sage) #3

Thank you my mates!

Tom it was a last minute change that caused the bug. Did not realise to test it after making a change. It should not be able to be damaged. But thank you for reporting!

(Dragonji) #4

Looks like an inspiration from de_westwood :smiley:

(-SSF-Sage) #5

[QUOTE=Dragonji;541370]Looks like an inspiration from de_westwood :smiley:
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the pictures! :smiley: I have never seen this map but I must admit there are nice similarities. :smiley: Actually the map has no specific inspiration. It has evolved slowly itself. Ofc I have tried to look for images for props ideas etc.

(diaboliksmart) #6

Hello, I had 2 crashes, probably due to the bug reported by TomTom7777.
I hope you will fix it, because this map is very fun and beautiful !
Thanks for your work Sage
V55

(KeMoN) #7

And again I spent at least half an hour on the shooting ranges :smiley:
Nice work, Sage! I have to say, I absolutely love your cave design!

What can we roughly expect in the future? If you say ‘decorations’ does it mean, you are going to add more eye-candy to the map? Or are you going to implement more shooting ranges? Actually I don’t really mind because both would be great!

(-SSF-Sage) #8

[QUOTE=KeMoN;536526]
What can we roughly expect in the future? If you say ‘decorations’ does it mean, you are going to add more eye-candy to the map? Or are you going to implement more shooting ranges? Actually I don’t really mind because both would be great![/QUOTE]

Thanks kemon! I have all the time avoided on adding detail in certain places. The houses have been moved dozens of time, so I wanted to keep it easy to move them. So pretty much we are talking about terrain blendings and shapes, some plants. And also house interior furnitures. And perhaps some props and signs outside. And other smaller cosmetics. But before that I want the big public play this for good, so I can avoid on redoing/removing things. :wink:

Also if good, doable ideas appear for mini games. I am open to them too. I like scripting. :slight_smile:

(KeMoN) #9

Sounds really good. We’ll await the public opinion then :smiley:

(Mateos) #10

You may draw a brush around what you want to select and do a Select inside to quickly select the bunch of objects you want to move, but you probably know this ^^’

Nice design of the houses and interiors, especially the cave :smiley: I wonder how it will look like after the next art pass!

(IRATA) #11

Hi,

you did a brilliant job! … I’m still searching for all the gimmicks of the map :smiley: 21 points reached :wink:

Some ideas:

• add some ladders so players can reach more roofs
  • add the ET parrott sound (I’m missing it somehow)
  • for the decorations definately add more plants … there is an UJE map with horse models which might fit into the scene
  • replace parts of the wodden town wall with house facades … this wall is kind of boring

I did notice when the clayshooter is used it tries to find some entities without targetname. Ensure all the marker ents ‘castle_funX_spl_Y’ (f.e. castle_fun2_spl_2 or castle_fun3_spl_1) have a valid targetname set.

(-SSF-Sage) #12

Thanks Mateos! Call me lazy… :smiley:

[QUOTE=IRATA;536766]Hi,

you did a brilliant job! … I’m still searching for all the gimmicks of the map :smiley: 21 points reached :wink:

Some ideas:

• add some ladders so players can reach more roofs
  • add the ET parrott sound (I’m missing it somehow)
  • for the decorations definately add more plants … there is an UJE map with horse models which might fit into the scene
  • replace parts of the wodden town wall with house facades … this wall is kind of boring

I did notice when the clayshooter is used it tries to find some entities without targetname. Ensure all the marker ents ‘castle_funX_spl_Y’ (f.e. castle_fun2_spl_2 or castle_fun3_spl_1) have a valid targetname set.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Irata! Very good points!

-About ladders, wonder how it will affect gameplay at the gunsmith house? I tried to minimise trickjumps at that area, so it would not be too easy to steal objectives without destroying the door. Or then I should make the balcony door team door? For some parts it might be cool indeed.
-Yes plants and such would be great. Just wonder if it is funny that the horse cannot die of airstrike?
-I agree that the town wall should be redone. It is a leftover from very first tests with only a couple houses. Just will have to figure out how to do this. Perhaps it could provide some extra cover and camp spots too.

I’ll take a look at the script issue. As far as I know all work in game with all mods. There are hundreds of script entities. It is not very funny to do g_scriptdebug… :smiley: Thanks for telling the names! They are not related to clayshooter thought. The targetnames are trickjump obstacles at the caves that runs a constant loop. I do not get this in the log. :frowning:

(nonameplum) #13

How to play practise? I’m noob and don’t see this option :slight_smile:

(-SSF-Sage) #14

The practises are sort of hidden into the map. So you should run the map like normally. :slight_smile:

1. Clay shooting with SMG, go to the roof of Allied spawn.
  2. Pistol shooting, at the front entrance to the middle house there is a “selling cart”. It has a switch to start a shooting practise. Basicly it is in the most centre of the map, just next to the hanging spot.
  3. Knife throwing, back corner of Axis spawn there is a dart board
  4. Nade throwing, when you exit Axis spawn from front door, face right forward (on the ground in sand pit)
  5. Three trickjump areas at the caves. You can enter caves from a water pit or by using a lever to open the hanging spot hatch doors.

(nonameplum) #15

[QUOTE=-SSF-Sage;537762]The practises are sort of hidden into the map. So you should run the map like normally. :slight_smile:

1. Clay shooting with SMG, go to the roof of Allied spawn.
  2. Pistol shooting, at the front entrance to the middle house there is a “selling cart”. It has a switch to start a shooting practise. Basicly it is in the most centre of the map, just next to the hanging spot.
  3. Knife throwing, back corner of Axis spawn there is a dart board
  4. Nade throwing, when you exit Axis spawn from front door, face right forward (on the ground in sand pit)
  5. Three trickjump areas at the caves. You can enter caves from a water pit or by using a lever to open the hanging spot hatch doors.[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Games are cool. Maybe SMG not that much :P. The best is pistol, maybe could be better if time of showing spot can be adjusted by e.g. buttons (shorter, longer). But imo the best practise game would be points on big board with adjustable time of showing them or by choosing level of hardness. Switcher for start and stop game. But maybe it is a topic for another map :slight_smile:
Anyway thanks, cool map!

(illwieckz) #16

[QUOTE=-SSF-Sage;536524]
Sheriff has put some Sabio Gang members in Jail after a long night of committing hostile deeds. The Gang in dark coats is up to free their Fellows.

If you decide your Fellows deserve their nights in Jail you can find multiple other ways to entertain yourself in the lovely Western town of Pegaso Pass.

[…]

Ps. Looking forward to hear feedback and ideas. This map is being developed further. Because this is on beta stage, not all decorations are added yet.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I discovered your map and tried it and I was amazed and I immediately thought it could be an awesome map to play with Smokin’Guns which is a free Western game running on the open source id tech 3 engine ! :slight_smile:

Are you OK with a port? If yes, can you release the map source under a suitable license allowing modification and modified redistribution? I like to port maps from game to game (see another initiative I have for another game as an example) and and I try the best I can to do this properly and respectfully and I document publicly any changes I make. :slight_smile:

(-SSF-Sage) #17

[QUOTE=illwieckz;538528]Hi, I discovered your map and tried it and I was amazed and I immediately thought it could be an awesome map to play with Smokin’Guns which is a free Western game running on the open source id tech 3 engine ! :slight_smile:

Are you OK with a port? If yes, can you release the map source under a suitable license allowing modification and modified redistribution? I like to port maps from game to game (see another initiative I have for another game as an example) and and I try the best I can to do this properly and respectfully and I document publicly any changes I make. :)[/QUOTE]

Hey

Thanks for your interrest and the kind words! The map is still under construction, but I can give the source for you anyway. For what comes to licensing, the map uses some assets from W-ET, mostly some textures and models. For those I cannot give license because I don’t own them. But for the custom content I have created I am okey for you to use or edit it to be used for Smokin’Guns. :slight_smile: Just remember to credit and list changes. I will not take any responsibility regarding any legal matters, you must operate totally under your own consideration. I would also appreciate if you remember to tell me if it ends up properly ported and played. :slight_smile:

I will PM you with the files.

(illwieckz) #18

Hi Sage, thank you very much I got the files. I will tell you for sure if I do something (I’m very busy so do not expect something tomorrow :smiley: ).

(webDogster) #19

Its a superb Fun map that we have been extensively testing and it it will be going into our new campaign in the next week or so, brilliant work from Sage

(CS_kOoL) #20

Hi,

I confirm that you and Pegasus u are any awesome guys cause u make us pleasure with your new maps :slight_smile:

If no , yes Doggydooo don’t lose your time !! Put it in your new campaign !! :wink: